Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #8,506 of 22,945
Haha thank you thank you I'll add in the kilos for my foreign buddies :p.

I just ordered a pair of SE846s for $730 shipped with no tax. Thank you to the members here the valuable insight. I'll be sure to come back here to see what others up to. Thank you all again!

My next upgrade will be the AK120II. When I listened to the SE846s wth the AK120II, it was simply bliss!

Cheers.

Nice DL to bodyweight ratio. Much impress!
It's kind of lame having to pull out calculator to do the math for your bench (239?) you should put it in your sig also =P

If your SE846 got lost or stolen, would you purchase it again? At first I wasn't too sure but after hearing what else is on the market I think I would buy the 8's again. The sub bass and mid bass ratios are very unique. I've been ripping my hair out trying to find a CIEM or portable headphone with similar signature and I'm not willing to get SCS sleeves. 8's sub bass spoiled my ears LOL

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #8,507 of 22,945
No I didn't mean kilos lol. I meant that you have your total for the big three (DL+ Squat+ Bench) but you only listed squat, DL and total so I had to do total - (squat+DL) to figure out what your bench is haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #8,508 of 22,945
Pictures of my cotton wool modded white filter. Love it. This is what I'm going with now. Adds treble energy compared to the stock blues, but has more presence and focus than the whites.

Step 1
Take a little bit of cotton wool. Just a bit. I took mine from a cotton wool ball.

Step 2
Squeeze it together, into a tight cylinder. You'll want it small (so not too much damping), but not too small in case it falls out.

Step 3
Insert it into the end of the white filter (you see it sticking out here)

Step 4
Push it in- but keep it at the top for easy removal if necessary (you see a tiny bit still sticking out here).

Step 5
Enjoy the music!

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #8,511 of 22,945
Dec 25, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #8,512 of 22,945
Shurely you must be joking.

I'm not joking, and stop calling me Shurely.

I don't know if it is art, but I like it.

Merry Christmas

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #8,514 of 22,945

Now that's art. 

ignore my misspelled box...

That has a spousal acceptance factor of negative -1! 
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #8,517 of 22,945
  So, +1?

More like negative 2.

If it was negative "times" -1, then it would be "positive" 1. 
evil_smiley.gif

Besides, the official spousal acceptance factor has a top score of 100 +/- 10%, so +1 would be pretty piss poor (alliteration reference), also!

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #8,518 of 22,945
Thanks for that, I'm still at the awe phase and have barely tried listening through my new imac yet, which really impressed me. I really hoped I wouldn't have to go in there and risk changing those things, although it seems some posters flip them often. I will try it though, after a few days of listening first though. I can see already why one might like a more poignant high end, I enjoy some mids but really prefer to look down and see my feet, not my belly, so we shall see. Happy listening.

Any new impressions? I hope you're still in the awe phase!

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #8,519 of 22,945
I auditioned a few headphones today. I found a one that sounds a tad like the SE846 albeit with slightly less bass quantity (neutral sound sig). Surprisingly, the B&O H6 (yes, the one also found in Apple store) I find is EXTREMELY good for the price. Flawless build quality, great aesthetics and even better sound. If the isolation was better than average I would get them.

Found a local guy in Toronto that makes custom cables for Headfoneshop =)
Snagged this one:

-26AWG 7N UP-OCC cable (75 strand)
-Furutech Rhodium Plated mini jack 
-Heatshrink filled with Epoxy instead of MMCX casing (more compact)
-Left channel = purple + clear insulation, Right = red and clear

The insulation is much softer than my 93Spec pure silver cable. Soundstage is the biggest I've heard so far on the 8's. Bass sounds more natural and the mids are smooth, lush. The pure silver cable still has the best highs and consequently better micro detailing - the OCC is more fun. I like both.  

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #8,520 of 22,945
Hey all 

Im dying to try out the se846 but will have to wait a month until the headroom show in London. 

I have been checking out the iem thread on soundstage quality for a while and it suddenly hit me. I dont care one bit about soundstage width. 
I want a hard hitting and upfront sound. I mean i love soundstage height and esp depth but what I really want is to get the fun lushness and
smooth bass I love with the hd650s but in an iem. 

How do you all feel the se846 fairs on soundstage depth, height as well as instrument separation? 

I currently have been on a neutrality binge with my er4s for 2 years and now my conservative upgrade to a stagediver sd-2 ...much better but soundstage
is too distant...it makes me want to turn up the volume to get the closed in immediate feel I want. Prob lack of good sub bass? 

I will borrow a pair of UE900 in Jan as well as a Westone 4R maybe. All the learning process to get a good sound sig I like :) 

Merry Xmas (belated) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back