Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #8,461 of 22,945
Just an FYI for the owners here: you'll wear out those MMCX cable connectors LONG before the female connector on IEM side even get a scratch lol. People aren't joking when they say that SE846 are bloody tanks.

The IEM female MMCX is made of a much harder metal. Avoid rotating the connector too much as the locking ring will grind into its groove on cable side MMCX and consequently get loose. My silver cable has to be reterminated as I spun it in the MMCX socket too much (nervous tick while I was studying lmao). At first I thought my right IEM socket was worn (fuaaa) but I cleaned it tried two other cables including stock but it's nice and tight still, no wiggle! Also upon close inspection the socket has no scratches, very clean.

Female connector on IEM's can be cleaned very easily without Deoxit.
You need:
-microfiber cloth
-99% alcohol
-wax tool
-steady hand

1. Pour a little bit of alcohol in the bottle cap of it's container.
2. Cut a small strip of the microfiber cloth about 4x15mm
3. Fold the strip lengthwise to form a u-shape. Dip it in alcohol and squeeze lightly to remove excess.
[Try not to get alcohol on the acrylic shell, not a good mix- if you do, don't freak out, wipe it off quickly and it will evaporate instantly - no issues]
4. Insert the now u-shaped microfiber cloth in to the female MMCX connector (IEM side) around the little pin until it bottoms out. Let go and it will stay in place.
5. Insert the wire of your wax tool along the strip in to the IEM, applying light pressure sideways in to the wall and keeping the wire parallel to said wall. The wire will not touch metal, but simply the strip.
6. Applying light pressure in to the MMCX wall using your wax tool (keep it parallel to the wall to avoid touching the female pin in the middle) go around slow and steady until you have completed two rotations. Adjust the direction of your applied pressure to compensate for rotation - what I mean by this is you're always applying pressure away from the pin in the middle, towards the wall.
7. Use a blowdryer on cool to blow off any particles
8 Connector is now like new, very easy to do.

If I get any requests I'll take a video next time I do it, takes 30 seconds per side.

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #8,462 of 22,945
In other news, my SCS has shipped. Since I'm using some complicated forwarding service to send them to Singapore, I'll guessing I'll get them in 2 weeks.

I'm not sure which I'm more excited for:

1) to see how they look (I chose the Japanese design)
2) to feel how silicone customs are like
3) to hear how they sound

Probably all 3 :)

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #8,463 of 22,945
In other news, my SCS has shipped. Since I'm using some complicated forwarding service to send them to Singapore, I'll guessing I'll get them in 2 weeks.

I'm not sure which I'm more excited for:

1) to see how they look (I chose the Japanese design)
2) to feel how silicone customs are like
3) to hear how they sound

Probably all 3 :)

Very nice, Jelt. Please do take some photos. :)

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #8,465 of 22,945
I was able to test out my uncle's SE846. I'm coming from a pair of Westone 4s, Ultimate Ear Triple Fis, and Westone UM2s. I tested the Shures first with my AK100 running FLACS in addition to 24/96 and 24/192 songs. Let me say that I am blown away by how powerful and clean the SE846 sounds in regards to the highs, mids, and especially the lows. The bass absolutely destroys all of the aforementioned earphones. I then compared the Shures to my Sennheiser HD650s which was hooked to a Woo Audio amp. With or without the amp, the Shures hold their own with the incredible clarity and powerful clean bass. The Shures are a winner. I then tested the Shures with my uncle's AK120II. Sound quality was once again improved the bass sounded even cleaner and more powerful with the highs and mids still incredibly clear. I have not tested the SE846 with the other tubes included which alter the sound just yet. I can say for certain however I will be buying these in 2015. They were suprisingly comfortable as well. Not as comfortabe as the Westone 4s, but very comfortable.

Believe it or not I plan on using these babies for the gym while weight training.

I love the braided cable design of the the Westones. Can anyone recommend a similar cable for the Shures? Has anyone found significant sound quality improvements from the more expensive cables? Cheers.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #8,466 of 22,945
I had the same problem with my Woo Audio 6 amp. Look into getting a HumX and connect it to your amp. It will solve the problem.

I just noticed that there's a faint whining sound through my IEMs while using my DAC/amp whenever I turn the volume past 50%, and it only occurs when I don't have anything playing. It can definitely be heard during split second pauses when songs transition, but not while ones playing even in the most quietest of moments. Is this issue common or should I be concerned? It happens even when it's not connected to a source. Thanks folks. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #8,468 of 22,945
I was able to test out my uncle's SE846. I'm coming from a pair of Westone 4s, Ultimate Ear Triple Fis, and Westone UM2s. I tested the Shures first with my AK100 running FLACS in addition to 24/96 and 24/192 songs. Let me say that I am blown away by how powerful and clean the SE846 sounds in regards to the highs, mids, and especially the lows. The bass absolutely destroys all of the aforementioned earphones. I then compared the Shures to my Sennheiser HD650s which was hooked to a Woo Audio amp. With or without the amp, the Shures hold their own with the incredible clarity and powerful clean bass. The Shures are a winner. I then tested the Shures with my uncle's AK120II. Sound quality was once again improved the bass sounded even cleaner and more powerful with the highs and mids still incredibly clear. I have not tested the SE846 with the other tubes included which alter the sound just yet. I can say for certain however I will be buying these in 2015. They were suprisingly comfortable as well. Not as comfortabe as the Westone 4s, but very comfortable.

Believe it or not I plan on using these babies for the gym while weight training.

I love the braided cable design of the the Westones. Can anyone recommend a similar cable for the Shures? Has anyone found significant sound quality improvements from the more expensive cables? Cheers.

Hi amdj, many of the aftermarket cables will provide an audible improvement. I personally use a silver litz that enhances both clarity and detail, but at the loss of a bit of mid-bass, a trade-off I'm perfectly fine with. Think of it as a middle ground between the blue and white filters. There are other options however, and there are plenty of cable manufacturers to choose from. I personally purchased from Headphone Lounge, which has quite the following within Head-Fi. However, I did have an issue with the sound disconnecting with their cable, but it was easily fixed by loosening the rings on the connector. I'll link you to the cable dealers I know of below, so you could do your own research if you like. Oh, and if you're interested in saving a few hundred dollars from purchasing the SE846, you could do so by purchasing from Unique Squared. They allow potential customers to submit offers on items. I personally got my pair for $700. And don't worry about its legitimacy, I've confirmed with Shure that they're authorized dealers. I'll produce a link to them as well below.

http://www.uniquesquared.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=se846

http://plussoundaudio.com/customcables/inearmonitor.html

http://headphonelounge.com/in-ear-monitor-cables/

http://www.aloaudio.com/cables/iem-cables

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15&zenid=77aee679ad88aba6d6b4ae2aae3b8fcb

http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/headphone-cables.html

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #8,469 of 22,945
??   That's the whole point of portable on-the-go listening.  ??

I have always been afraid of using expensive IEMS in the past due to non replaceable wires. I don't know anyone who uses IEMs of this magnitude for the gym. Unless it's the head-fi crew of course :).

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #8,470 of 22,945
I have always been afraid of using expensive IEMS in the past due to non replaceable wires. I don't know anyone who uses IEMs of this magnitude for the gym. Unless it's the head-fi crew of course
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe warrior1975 uses these at the gym, so you won't be the only one who had this idea.

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #8,471 of 22,945
Dinerenblanc, thank you so much for the tip on getting these babies for $700. I will look into the custom cables you linked. Thank you again! These would make the gym a blast every time, ever after 10 sets of squats :). Cheers!

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #8,472 of 22,945
Dinerenblanc, thank you so much for the tip on getting these babies for $700. I will look into the custom cables you linked. Thank you again! These would make the gym a blast every time, ever after 10 sets of squats
smily_headphones1.gif
. Cheers!

Nice DL to bodyweight ratio. Much impress!
It's kind of lame having to pull out calculator to do the math for your bench (239?) you should put it in your sig also =P

If your SE846 got lost or stolen, would you purchase it again? At first I wasn't too sure but after hearing what else is on the market I think I would buy the 8's again. The sub bass and mid bass ratios are very unique. I've been ripping my hair out trying to find a CIEM or portable headphone with similar signature and I'm not willing to get SCS sleeves. 8's sub bass spoiled my ears LOL

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #8,473 of 22,945
LOL

I asked Shure to buy a replacement 46 inch cable for the SE846. It's listed for $34.95 on Shure's official Amazon.com channel, as we speak. They quoted me $78.13 before shipping/tax.

Does not compute. Canadians get shafted with pricing, what's new?

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #8,474 of 22,945
At that price, why not just get an aftermarket cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back