Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #7,816 of 22,960
I just bought a Westone Fit Kit with Star and True-Fit tips in different sizes. You are responsible for this 30Euros...:D

Haha I'm not worried, they're simply amazing and I've replaced all my iem tips with it. They have different flex zones and even the center core flexes and turns, allowing you to adjust the fit without breaking the seal unlike regular tips.

The True fit tips doesn't fit though, so you're really only paying for the star tips.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #7,818 of 22,960
Haha I'm not worried, they're simply amazing and I've replaced all my iem tips with it. They have different flex zones and even the center core flexes and turns, allowing you to adjust the fit without breaking the seal unlike regular tips.

The True fit tips doesn't fit though, so you're really only paying for the star tips.
I know but I couldn find a kit with the Star only! :frowning2:

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #7,819 of 22,960
If all of the sizes-fit-all tips that you try do not fit, seal, have a deep insertion, isolate properly, and you absolutely love your SE846, the SCS may be a marvelous investment for you.  The SCS also makes it so the SE846 housing does not touch your ears, so anyone that is having issues with pain regarding the earphone housing will be happy to know that the custom sleeves are a way to negate pain in this regard, immediately. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #7,820 of 22,960
No seriously...

Yes seriously....

EAHRDCASE-CLEAR Road Case
Durable crush- and water-resistant road case features earphone polishing cloth. Included with SE846 earphones for their storage and transportation

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se846-sound-isolating-earphones#product-7142-accessories

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #7,821 of 22,960
I just finished removing the memory wire from my stock cable. OH MY GODDDDDDDDD they're so much more comfier! I'm probably x2 as happy with these now. My only worry is that I snipped the kevlar on the cables (twice on one cable, once on the other one). It's only surface deep (I didn't snip any copper), but are these likely to fail at some point? They seem fine at the moment and they still sound great.

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #7,822 of 22,960
  I just finished removing the memory wire from my stock cable. OH MY GODDDDDDDDD they're so much more comfier! I'm probably x2 as happy with these now. My only worry is that I snipped the kevlar on the cables (twice on one cable, once on the other one). It's only surface deep (I didn't snip any copper), but are these likely to fail at some point? They seem fine at the moment and they still sound great.

Naw it's fine. I THOUGHT I snipped mine at first but the plastic insulation over the kevlar is just really thin, I didn't actually snip it at all lol. Look closely in the light.

[edit] I bet $35 even if your cable is snipped, it could hold my weight. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #7,823 of 22,960
I find that i cannot get on with memory wire in a cable,so removed it from 4R,and the 846. I find that with the 4R,i can use different tips with great success,BUT the 846 are another matter. I have now tried with the long foamy ones,( Technical term that!.),and found a better seal,but insertion depth is critical. Why is it that one is easy to use,but the other is far more difficult?. I can understand that some people have difficulty,but stick with it.Its well worth the hassle.  Seems odd,but with balanced cables,i have also found a greater depth to the sound stage. Anyone in UK got a problem with them?.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #7,824 of 22,960
  I find that i cannot get on with memory wire in a cable,so removed it from 4R,and the 846. I find that with the 4R,i can use different tips with great success,BUT the 846 are another matter. I have now tried with the long foamy ones,( Technical term that!.),and found a better seal,but insertion depth is critical. Why is it that one is easy to use,but the other is far more difficult?. I can understand that some people have difficulty,but stick with it.Its well worth the hassle.  Seems odd,but with balanced cables,i have also found a greater depth to the sound stage. Anyone in UK got a problem with them?.

I had great difficulty with insertion depth as well. I snipped off my memory wire (see my earlier posts), and now they fit like a glove. You just have to stick with it and keep experimenting. You'll get the right fit eventually.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #7,825 of 22,960
  Naw it's fine. I THOUGHT I snipped mine at first but the plastic insulation over the kevlar is just really thin, I didn't actually snip it at all lol. Look closely in the light.

[edit] I bet $35 even if your cable is snipped, it could hold my weight. 

I think you're right actually. The kevlar looks intact -- it's just the insulation.

P.S. we can test that bet if you want! :wink:

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #7,826 of 22,960
Yes seriously....

EAHRDCASE-CLEAR Road Case
[COLOR=999999]Durable crush- and water-resistant road case features earphone polishing cloth. Included with SE846 earphones for their storage and transportation

[COLOR=000000]http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se846-sound-isolating-earphones#product-7142-accessories[/COLOR][/color]

Now I understand... My box did not include the plastic clear case, only the small black case, and the huge cloth which doesn't really make sense to me if you only have the small case.

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #7,828 of 22,960
Just received my SCS for my 846 after a month wait and I'm chiming in here to note the differences.  For the longest time I have been using Small Shure Black Olives so my impression is a direct comparison to that. I am using the white filters with the 846.

As a pre-face, I've always had great fit and comfort with the black olives but more often times it's really difficult to fully balance the seal on both ears so I decided to step up to the SCS to resolve this issue. In addition, with Winter here, it's often very difficult to roll up the sleeves and expand in my ears to get a perfect seal - a cumbersome process especially when you have to take it off to talk to someone. To me the sound with the black olives is extremely good with bright mid/highs and impressive bass - everything is in order and I'm in love with all my music again.

When I first put on the SCS I was surprised how much it protrudes out of my ears, before with the black olives I could lean on the side of my head without issues, the whole shell is encased within my ears.  That's no biggie to me, I usually use the 846 when I'm commuting anyways.  The fit is fantastic on this (as one would expect) but because of how well the olives fit and seal my ears, I feel I lost some isolation with the SCS.

The first impression I got when I listened to a track I know very well is that the mids and highs had 'darken', this phenomenon happened when I tried the Comply foamies too.  It simply wasn't bright and lively as the black olives in which I was disappointed in. I felt I have lost some soundstage as well.   Because of the excellent seal, the bass has improved and I feel the detail in the low end had improved.   

I can't say I'm entirely satisfied with my purchase (like I did with the 846).  I will give it some time for my ears to adjust before I draw the conclusion to these.  Perhaps I may have to give up greater comfort for better seal and sound signature I'm accustomed to. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #7,829 of 22,960
Can't wait for mine to arrive. I bought them from Flavio at Earphone solutions.

They are scheduled to arrive on Friday. I will be using them with the AK240 and the CEntrance HiFi-M8.

This thread is on fire! 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #7,830 of 22,960
Congrats! I honestly don't see anybody disliking these unless they like a very bright, very dark or V shaped sound sig. 

Be sure to give the white filter a shot, it is by far my favourite. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back