Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #7,801 of 22,945
  Has anyone noticed ringing in the ears, or higher levels of ringing in the ears, after a listening session with these SE846s compared to other IEMs?  I'm thinking I'm setting the volume unconsciously based on the mid and mid-to-upper frequency ranges.  Since the bass is boosted with the SE846s, could it be causing the extra ringing when at "normal" listening levels.  I didn't think bass had the ability to cause the tinnitus, otherwise, people really shouldn't sit in the back seats of MD80s
smile.gif
.  I don't have this issue with other IEMs.

I've had listening sessions as long as 6 hours with the the SE846 and never got ringing in my ears. Perhaps you might be turning it up a little loud?

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #7,802 of 22,945
  Has anyone noticed ringing in the ears, or higher levels of ringing in the ears, after a listening session with these SE846s compared to other IEMs?  I'm thinking I'm setting the volume unconsciously based on the mid and mid-to-upper frequency ranges.  Since the bass is boosted with the SE846s, could it be causing the extra ringing when at "normal" listening levels.  I didn't think bass had the ability to cause the tinnitus, otherwise, people really shouldn't sit in the back seats of MD80s
smile.gif

I tend to always adjust the volume based on the song, regardless of listening conditions and gear used. I've never had a headphone/IEM cause this issue for me. I strictly use the white filters and even when I was rolling the pure silver cable, never had this issue. Only ringing I ever got was at concerts/raves/jungle parties when I was sitting too close to the speakers.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #7,803 of 22,945
  I've had listening sessions as long as 6 hours with the the SE846 and never got ringing in my ears. Perhaps you might be turning it up a little loud?

Do you adjust your volume based on the strength of the bass or by the mids and upper-midd?  I'm thinking that ignoring the strength of the bass is causing the problem.  As mentioned, my other everyday IEMS (UM3X, W3, SM3s, UE700) don't cause the issue.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #7,804 of 22,945
Do you adjust your volume based on the strength of the bass or by the mids and upper-midd?  I'm thinking that ignoring the strength of the bass is causing the problem.  As mentioned, my other everyday IEMS (UM3X, W3, SM3s, UE700) don't cause the issue.

I actually do very little adjusting to my volume. I have a single song that's plays at a lower volume than others, and that's pretty much the only time I would change it. Additionally, I usually listen to music on my iPhone, and the volume's always at 50%-60%. However, I do have a silver Litz cable, which decreases bass quantity a bit, but my ears ever never rang when I used stock cables either. What ear tips are you using?

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #7,805 of 22,945
I actually do very little adjusting to my volume. I have a single song that's plays at a lower volume than others, and that's pretty much the only time I would change it. Additionally, I usually listen to music on my iPhone, and the volume's always at 50%-60%. However, I do have a silver Litz cable, which decreases bass quantity a bit, but my ears ever never rang when I used stock cables either. What ear tips are you using?

I was using the white filters, but switched back to blue when I began noticing this effect under the premise that the lower frequency ranges wouldn't cause as much cochlear fatigue.  After all, the "A" weighted curve used to determine detrimental environmental sound exposure derates frequencies starting at 1k Hz and below. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting 

Related to various aftermarket cables, have you been able to find resistance measurements based on 4-wire (Kelvin) testing configurations?  With the SE846 high frequency response being sensitive to source impedance, which includes the cables getting from the amp to the drivers, the lower resistance the better.  It would be easier to select an aftermarket cable if the resistances were reported.  The only I've checked so far didn't list this critical characteristic.

Thanks for your responses.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #7,806 of 22,945
  In answer to Sir Metal,a few posts ago,I could not get on at all with the 846. Having removed the memory wire,and all but the last inch of plastic sleeving,AND having spent an awful long time finding the right tips,( Silicon),AND fitting a Balanced cable.........Fantastic phones. My Westone 4R ( Sleeving removed),fitted immediately,again with silicon tips. Why the 846 took so long to get right,I don't know,but Sir Metal,stick with it. Its well worth the effort. For ME,balanced cables have been a worthwhile upgrade also.

Thanks for the advice. Past experience tells me that I shouldn't give up too quickly, as it does take time to adjust, but like you said I don't understand how these 'phones take so long to adjust to. I tried removing the memory wire last night but...gasp...I accidentally snipped part of the kevlar cable. (ANNOYED.) I'm going to keep them for a little while longer but I may end up trading or selling them (at a loss).

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #7,807 of 22,945
Thanks for the advice. Past experience tells me that I shouldn't give up too quickly, as it does take time to adjust, but like you said I don't understand how these 'phones take so long to adjust to. I tried removing the memory wire last night but...gasp...I accidentally snipped part of the kevlar cable. (ANNOYED.) I'm going to keep them for a little while longer but I may end up trading or selling them (at a loss).

I'm not sure if you want to spend anymore money, but have you thought of an aftermarket cable? There are good ones that you can get cheaply at $50. They might just solve your problems. A few members have recommended this one: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=5337413452&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2F6N-OFHC-Silver-Plated-Shure-upgrade-cable-SE215-SE315-SE425-SE535-%2F321574239703%3Fpt%3DUS_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters%26hash%3Ditem4adf517dd7

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #7,808 of 22,945
I got mine on the Friday just gone. I have extremely mixed impressions about this IEM.

The sound? Oh, yeah, the sound is friggin' awesome! The lows aren't exaggerated in any way; if the source asks for sub-bass, you'll get sub-bass, if it doesn't ask for sub-bass, you wont get any! The mids are wonderful; I'm hearing things I've never heard before in this range. The highs are nice, polite, even. They're detailed and present, but not centre-stage (like my beloved B2s).

The sound, for sure, is worth a grand, but this IEM has way too many shortcomings...for me at least.

A) Fit: these are the most uncomfortable pair of IEMs I've ever used. They are slightly too large for my average-sized ears. They often leave my ears tender on the outside. And let's not talk about the seal. Okay, let's: I cannot get a good seal on these. I just can't. The only exception is with the triple-flange tips (which mutilate my ear canals). Every tip, no matter what size, sit outside of my ear canals. I don't get that nice internal seal that I usually get with other IEMs. This is made worse by the cable...

B) Cable: OH MY GOD THE CABLE! I hate memory wire! They work against me most of the time; they get in the way of me pushing for a good seal. They flop out from behind my ears like big fat ear-tusks. Any rub on the cable will transmit all the way through the cable and into my ears as a thudding noise. TALK ABOUT MICROPHONICS! The long cable is too long, and the short cable is too short. The shirt clip doesn't help much. Even turning my head transmits the thudding noises.

C) Build Quality: My right bud creaks (I can feel the creaking vibration) whenever adjusting the tips, even trying to get a seal will trigger it. The left one doesn't do this. I know what the noise is, the metal casing inside the acrylic moves ever so slightly when twisting the nozzle. Shoddy workmanship? I'm not sure. Other people seem to have this issue.

For a 1k IEM, you'd think they would work out these kinks that even some cheapo buds don't have. I'm not sure what to do with this set yet. I currently get the most enjoyment out of them whilst listening in bed in the dark (hey, no movement!). These are supposed to be bloody portable...

Any advice? I'm really not trying to moan but I just dropped a G on these and I don't know how to feel right now!

Go buy a pack of Westone Star tips. It's easily a better upgrade than any aftermarket cables people are spending hundreds on. The comfort and seal star tips provide is unreal and I'm surprised why Shure doesn't just pay some licensing or royalty fees and include it for free.

As for the uncomfortable cable you can remove the hard plastic with a razor blade. Buy a pack of $3 feather razor blades off Amazon and cut the plastic heatshrink off. It'll slide off like butter and you'll be left with a very soft cable.

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #7,809 of 22,945
Go buy a pack of Westone Star tips. It's easily a better upgrade than any aftermarket cables people are spending hundreds on. The comfort and seal star tips provide is unreal and I'm surprised why Shure doesn't just pay some licensing or royalty fees and include it for free.

I just bought a Westone Fit Kit with Star and True-Fit tips in different sizes. You are responsible for this 30Euros...:D

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #7,812 of 22,945
beerchug.gif

On another note, may I ask the community what the h... is the huge Shure branded cloth for?????

Shall I use it as a towel?
biggrin.gif

Wipe up the tears of the peasants you stumble across in your life who do not have these magnificent headphones. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #7,813 of 22,945
beerchug.gif

On another note, may I ask the community what the h... is the huge Shure branded cloth for?????

Shall I use it as a towel?
biggrin.gif

Its used for polishing/cleaning the IEM housing and nozzles. And also to protect the IEM's in their rubber home from making contact with the hard case.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #7,814 of 22,945
smile.gif

Yeah, well I don't have that ringing noise, but since owning these my ears are definitely "veiled", as in the hand-dryer at work sounds odd. My left ear canal also feels bruised, and I woke up with my right ear canal blocked this morning.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #7,815 of 22,945

As for the uncomfortable cable you can remove the hard plastic with a razor blade. Buy a pack of $3 feather razor blades off Amazon and cut the plastic heatshrink off. It'll slide off like butter and you'll be left with a very soft cable.

I may just do this. I'll see how much they retail for.

Btw, I tried removing that memory wire. I kinda snipped the cable a bit. DOH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back