Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #7,546 of 22,945
The Noble K10 was on my to-buy list for the longest time, but I kept on reading up on the Shure SE846 impressions from other forum members, and decided to go with an AK + 846 combo instead of K10 and current iPhone :k701smile:  

I may eventually go back and try to K10 if I ever find myself with an abundant amount of disposable income :wink:  

Funny you should mention the K10. You should check the Noble Audio thread and read the exchanges between Head-Fi members and the owners on the last 2 pages. Frankly, I would never do business with them.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #7,547 of 22,945
Sorry to disappoint yiu SE846 fans but put some comply tips on an ASG2 and youll get a similar tonality with better depth and seperation. SE846 is still an extremely great earphone but value wise... not so much

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #7,548 of 22,945
Sorry to disappoint yiu SE846 fans but put some comply tips on an ASG2 and youll get a similar tonality with better depth and seperation. SE846 is still an extremely great earphone but value wise... not so much

You're not disappointing any of us. I'm glad you were able to find a headphone that you deem to be better at a lower price. Kudos. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #7,549 of 22,945
I had Ted's cables for a while now, but haven't really given my initial impression on them.  I ordered Silver Litz with RSA adaptor. Out of the box, I was a little disappointed. With slight movement from my head, the song was cutting in and out. I talked to Spook and he told me the connectors needed cleaning.  I tried using Deoxit to clean/condition the connectors, but it didn't fix the problem. So I went and bought some Isopropyl 91%, mixed it with a little water. Cleaned all connectors and now it's working perfectly. No problems here with the mmcx connection. Fits perfectly with my 846, real snug with no wiggle room.

So far they sound amazing balanced. First thing I notice, a larger soundstage. Closing my eyes I can feel soundstage has improved about 20%. You can't talk about 846 without mention it's bass. I feel after going balance, the bass isn't so much in your face. But a little toned down a bit, and more refined. The mids sounds just as good as before, just wished they were a bit more forward. But I guess I can EQ mids with my DX90. Finally the treble, at first I thought they sounded brighter. After spending more time with it, I mistaken brightness with clarity. Combination of Sr-71B and Silver Litz is a great match, I feel SQ has improved about 20% throughout.

I took a few days break from my 846, I think I've been listen to them way too loud. Ears felt really fatigue these past couple days. 

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #7,550 of 22,945
  I'm also using Ted's Silver Litz RSA cables. Out of the box there was a lot of sounds drops. With slight movement, it was crackling like crazy. I was a little disappointed, it wasn't working 100% out of the box. Talked to Spook and he told me the connectors needed cleaning.  I tried using Deoxit to clean/condition the connectors, but it didn't fix the problem. So I went and bought Isopropyl 91%, mixed it with a little water. Cleaned all connectors and now it's working perfectly. The MMCX connection fit real snug with my 846, no wiggle room here. So far they sounds great with my Sr-71B. :) 

Awesome, sure beats prying the rings with a knife any day.

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #7,551 of 22,945

I own both. They sound incredibly similar to my ears. Bass is more prominent on the G2, which is hard to believe, but to me, everything else is very close and boils down to preferences. Build quality, fit, comfort, and isolation go to the Shure. The G2 have to be some of the most incredible valued IEMS out there. I do prefer my 8s to them though, but that could go either way for people, both are that good.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #7,554 of 22,945
Has anyone paired these with the 2014 Moto X? I'm buying one and I'm hoping it pairs well with these phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the OG Moto X (it's my alarm clock). Does not pair well at all. The background hiss is pretty bad with the SE846
Hopefully the new one is better in that regard. Alternatively there are quite a few cheap portable DAC/AMP solutions for Android that should solve any issues. 

If you use the impedance adapter that comes with the SE846 it would be a huge help in reducing background hiss, if that is an issue with the new model.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #7,555 of 22,945
I just got my Ted silver litz cable. So far so good, I'm happy with it in my first half hour of listening.

Build quality is great (no squeaking near the connectors), no crackling or sound drop-outs. Ergonomics are great. Larger soundstage is the first thing I noticed, not sure how much of that simply comes from using the balanced out vs. the cable quality itself. It's impossible to do an A/B comparison with the stock cable, though I do think I'm getting some more clarity and detail. Not an astonishing difference but enough to be noticeable.

It does seem brighter, as others have mentioned, and it's making me think that I should use the blue filter instead of the white, or else it might be fatiguing.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #7,556 of 22,945
I just got the CEntrance Hifi-M8 for my desk at work, and this little thing is surprising with the 846's.  Absolutely black background, plenty of power, and great SQ.  Perfect form factor when you have limited desk space too.  Maybe not quite as detailed as the DX90 (used as a usb dac) > RSA Hornet that I was using, but maybe a bit more of a fun sound that is makes work a bit more bearable.  Worth a listen if anyone gets a chance to.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #7,557 of 22,945
I just got my Ted silver litz cable. So far so good, I'm happy with it in my first half hour of listening.

Build quality is great (no squeaking near the connectors), no crackling or sound drop-outs. Ergonomics are great. Larger soundstage is the first thing I noticed, not sure how much of that simply comes from using the balanced out vs. the cable quality itself. It's impossible to do an A/B comparison with the stock cable, though I do think I'm getting some more clarity and detail. Not an astonishing difference but enough to be noticeable.

It does seem brighter, as others have mentioned, and it's making me think that I should use the blue filter instead of the white, or else it might be fatiguing.

I find the blue filter to be the best match for Ted's silver litz cable as well. This combo makes makes the brightness somewhere between the blue and white filter with the stock cable, perfect for me. 

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #7,558 of 22,945
I went with the black filters for my silver cable match up. Not nearly as fatiguing...

I'm probably going to pick up 2 new amps for my Fiio daps, e12 (either a or diy) and the digizoid zo3. Anyone try either of these with the 8s? For anyone interested, Fiio X3 pairs extremely well with the 8s.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #7,559 of 22,945
I went with the black filters for my silver cable match up. Not nearly as fatiguing...

I'm probably going to pick up 2 new amps for my Fiio daps, e12 (either a or diy) and the digizoid zo3. Anyone try either of these with the 8s? For anyone interested, Fiio X3 pairs extremely well with the 8s.

I'm using the 12A with the 8's and the sound is amazing (obviously I'm biased). At the moment I've got the white filters in and using the base boost with the silver litz. Listening last night at close to the lowest possible volume while studying...the ride cymbal (edge and bell) on some 320 Tori Amos was clear as day. You can't get up much over 50% output with the 12A/8 combination. It just gets unbelievably LOUD. I can't even imagine an amp with higher output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back