Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #7,306 of 22,945
My Apex Glacier sounds amazing with these phones. So much PRAT, such energetic mids, and such tight, punchy bass.

If you can get your hands on one, do try it.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #7,307 of 22,945
Thank you Dinerenblanc and spook76 for fast answer :)

Im not "shure" what to do.But i have have sent an e-mail to shure and benum.no (norwegian importer).The shure 846 is an expensive iem.And it cost even more in norway then in the us.1179 dollar at the moment + shipping.

Also after testing the white and blue filter (never tried the black ones),i have come to an conclusion that the blue ones sounded the best for my taste.Warmer and more deep bass.The white was a little bright.So if i fixed the earphones with the blue filter inserted,then i might never change filter again,and the earphones would be in exelent stand.But then again i might have to send the earphones to the us?,and wait for weeks,if they cant fix them here in norway.  :/

Contact their UK headquarters. I believe they do handle replacements in Europe.

http://www.shure.co.uk/meta_en/contact

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #7,308 of 22,945
Is it me or are my posts and others being removed? I had one concerning how great the 846 is on my new vamp, and that ill post some picks with the 846 and my new quad ribbon cable when i receive next week.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #7,310 of 22,945
maybe its me :) 

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #7,311 of 22,945
Just got my JDSLabs C5D last night and have been going back and forth on it with the 846, H3, IE800 & O2+ODAC. 
Didn't think it would really make a significant difference ... using it as just an amp didn't make too much difference but bass boost was nice.
With the DAC+AMP on the iphone 6 it's made a big difference in dropping the noise floor a lot especially on the 846. It's given a bigger soundstage and so much more layering to the music .. and that bass boost in it just works so so well ... I know the 846 can go low but this takes it to really sounding and vibrating like a home cinema woofer but it doesn't effect mids what so ever .. the mids (vocals) stay as exactly the same.

I wasn't too happy with the iphone 6 sound before and I did find that with the Neutron player, it did sound better as you can make huge adjustments to the sound .. but the C5D takes it to a different level and enjoyment. It also works amazingly well with the sony H3. 

Compared to the O2+ODAC, it's very slightly darker or warmer but clarity and separation is on par. O2+ODAC is more brighter to my ears ... which sound more clean and clear but that bass boost on the C5D is so much fun. O2 seems like it has a wider soundstage while the C5D's depth is excellent .... maybe this is caused when one is brighter and one is warmer .. but what ever it is .. they both sound excellent to me. The clarity on both of these is the best I've heard.

Clarity, soundstage, separation is way way better than the Fiio E17 I had. Just the overall dynamics that music comes out is so much better.

Highly recommended ... can't go wrong with that sort of price ... even though I got it much cheaper 2nd hand but a very new one.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #7,312 of 22,945
  Just got my JDSLabs C5D last night and have been going back and forth on it with the 846, H3, IE800 & O2+ODAC. 
Didn't think it would really make a significant difference ... using it as just an amp didn't make too much difference but bass boost was nice.
With the DAC+AMP on the iphone 6 it's made a big difference in dropping the noise floor a lot especially on the 846. It's given a bigger soundstage and so much more layering to the music .. and that bass boost in it just works so so well ... I know the 846 can go low but this takes it to really sounding and vibrating like a home cinema woofer but it doesn't effect mids what so ever .. the mids (vocals) stay as exactly the same.

I wasn't too happy with the iphone 6 sound before and I did find that with the Neutron player, it did sound better as you can make huge adjustments to the sound .. but the C5D takes it to a different level and enjoyment. It also works amazingly well with the sony H3. 

Compared to the O2+ODAC, it's very slightly darker or warmer but clarity and separation is on par. O2+ODAC is more brighter to my ears ... which sound more clean and clear but that bass boost on the C5D is so much fun. O2 seems like it has a wider soundstage while the C5D's depth is excellent .... maybe this is caused when one is brighter and one is warmer .. but what ever it is .. they both sound excellent to me. The clarity on both of these is the best I've heard.

Clarity, soundstage, separation is way way better than the Fiio E17 I had. Just the overall dynamics that music comes out is so much better.

Highly recommended ... can't go wrong with that sort of price ... even though I got it much cheaper 2nd hand but a very new one.

Thanks for the the write-up. I've been considering the C5D to pair with the SE846 for a long time, so I'm glad they're a good match. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #7,313 of 22,945
As a Vamp owner who loves warmer headphones, I do not like the Vamp with the 8's. It does not strike my ear properly. Like they just don't interact right. I dunno. Might be just me. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #7,314 of 22,945
As a Vamp owner who loves warmer headphones, I do not like the Vamp with the 8's. It does not strike my ear properly. Like they just don't interact right. I dunno. Might be just me. 

Interesting just listened to Alicia keys "girlfriend" lorde "royals" pig and dan "I feel love" and Dominique Euleberg even Adrian belew not alone anymore and phone call from the moon. Really liked it. Granted still have lots more genres and tunes to check out. Some tunes had a weird match up, but in general it was a huge improvement from my six. Well it is all personal perspective and I'll see what the quad ribbon does. I have not tried other cans at this point, so just getting used to it. I configured it with amp gain on, and no bass boost, the 846 rocks enough spine tingling base through the vamp, found it a bit artificial with the boost..
Then again, maybe it's just me:)

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #7,315 of 22,945
Anyone around NYC this Saturday? There a meet in Sheraton in Stamford, CT. This will be my first meet, there are a few people brining their 846. Just checked the list of gear people are bringing, I'm impressed. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729371/official-nyc-metro-area-headphonatics-anonymous-fall-meet-november-15th-stamford-sheraton-stamford-ct

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #7,316 of 22,945
Hello,

My local Shure distributor is finally carrying the SE846.  However, they carry two variants:

SE-846-BLU-A
SE-846-CL-A

Anyone know the difference?  The BLU-A is a little more expensive than the CL-A.  

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #7,317 of 22,945
  Hello,

My local Shure distributor is finally carrying the SE846.  However, they carry two variants:

SE-846-BLU-A
SE-846-CL-A

Anyone know the difference?  The BLU-A is a little more expensive than the CL-A.  

The CL is the only one I've seen. Could the BLU actually be a new color/limited edition? The last blue variant IEM they released was a limited SE215, so it could be the case. How exciting . . .

edit*

It appears the BLU version is pretty much the same. My guess is that it's the just the one that's exclusive to Asia, which comes in a white packaging. http://www.ipmart.com.my/main/product/Shure_SE846_Sound_Isolating_Earphones_SE846_BLU_Shure_Warranty_485982.php?prod=485982

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #7,318 of 22,945
Yeah I saw the same page. At first I thought it was a different color limited edition too.

I'm pretty sure the Asian packaging was also sold as CL-A before. I sent an email back to the distributor asking the same questions. If they reply I'll keep you all posted. :)

Cheers!

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #7,319 of 22,945
Yeah I saw the same page. At first I thought it was a different color limited edition too.

I'm pretty sure the Asian packaging was also sold as CL-A before. I sent an email back to the distributor asking the same questions. If they reply I'll keep you all posted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Yeah, I've found other SE846s that are supposedly of the BLU variety and they all show the white packaging, so I'm rather sure that's it. Shure has never been a company to release new IEMs annually, so I doubt this is the case. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back