Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #7,217 of 22,954
Ok question, maybe for North America maybe not. Anyone tried quad ribbon flagship cables versus say siver dragon v1? Quad price is double that of silver dragon. Price is not an issue, quality, functionality is.

Regardless orderd the ALO quad ribbon iem cables for my 846 will let everyone know how they sound when I get them. Cheers.

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #7,219 of 22,954

Thanks for the review.  The only thing the Roxanne is truly better at is soundstage, but the Shure SE846 is not far behind?  So if I understand it correctly, at the level of the Shure SE846, the limits of IEM technology is already reached considering how expensive the Roxanne is? 

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying, nor do I really know the technology behind both IEMs. What I have posted is merely what I hear. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #7,220 of 22,954
moedawg's reviews are a bad influence on my finances. Just paired my 8's with FBI's Ref Silver Litz cables, and I'm floored. The improved bass was surprisingly evident. I'm only happy that the closest Sensaphonics audiologist is an hours drive from me and I'm wrapping up my Fall semester at school.

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #7,221 of 22,954
  moedawg's reviews are a bad influence on my finances. Just paired my 8's with FBI's Ref Silver Litz cables, and I'm floored. The improved bass was surprisingly evident. I'm only happy that the closest Sensaphonics audiologist is an hours drive from me and I'm wrapping up my Fall semester at school.

Thanks?  Haha, just kidding.  Just sharing what I believe has helped me maximize the overall sound quality, ergonomics, fit, seal, isolation, etc. of the SE846.

The HL Silver Litz is a bargain compared to most other competing cable companies, and the quality far surpasses most of them, no debating that.

An hour's drive?  That's it?  I had to go to my audiologist twice because she told me to come back when I cleaned out my ears fully - and each trip one-way was about an hour (just imagine L.A. traffic going north to the Sunset strip/Hollywood area) -
Stop and barely go.

If you have a what you would say is a 'perfect fit' (even though it probably is not) regarding the sizes-fit-all tip(s) you use, and if you are worried about the price, the SCS may not be for you.  If you have issues currently with your sizes-fit-all tip(s) you use, and want to maximize everything to the highest power regarding fit, seal, isolation, comfort, and enjoyment, the SCS is totally worth the price of entry (literally), in my honest opinion.  

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #7,222 of 22,954
I had looked into having my old SCL5's custom molded, but then if something happened to me none of my family would have been able to enjoy them. The SCS appears to be a perfect compromise while still customized. Right now I'm just soaking up all the goodness of the new cable. Sound is like nite and day...

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #7,223 of 22,954
I should have a HL silver Litz this week with MMCX - really looking forward to it.

I have a JH 2-pin version and really liked what it did with some of my other IEMs - I also had (sold) a silver/gold/copper hybrid with MMCX that really made the 846 sing - but it was a bit big - I am just hoping that the smaller 4 wire Litz from Ted can give me some of that bass control I got from the 8 cable Plussound.

What did the HL do for your 846? Was it able to open up soundstage a bit - the hybrid was able to open it up some and tighten bass response..

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #7,224 of 22,954
  I had looked into having my old SCL5's custom molded, but then if something happened to me none of my family would have been able to enjoy them. The SCS appears to be a perfect compromise while still customized. Right now I'm just soaking up all the goodness of the new cable. Sound is like nite and day...

The Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves let you "have your cake and eat it too".  Ninety-nine percent of the Shure IEMs ever made can be fitted with the SCS, and as a result, allows users donning the "full shell" version to have the silicone CIEM experience, but can pop them off and let friends/family/relatives experience the Shure(s) with any sizes-fit-all tips that can fit as well.

Glad you are enjoying your new cable!

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #7,225 of 22,954
  I should have a HL silver Litz this week with MMCX - really looking forward to it.

I have a JH 2-pin version and really liked what it did with some of my other IEMs - I also had (sold) a silver/gold/copper hybrid with MMCX that really made the 846 sing - but it was a bit big - I am just hoping that the smaller 4 wire Litz from Ted can give me some of that bass control I got from the 8 cable Plussound.

What did the HL do for your 846? Was it able to open up soundstage a bit - the hybrid was able to open it up some and tighten bass response..

That sounds like the typical silver wire to me.... Add details, open up soundstage, tighten bass response, but less warmth. That's why some people call it a bit more 'analytical' than 'musical'. Not sure how I feel about these hybrids yet though.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #7,226 of 22,954
Here is the product description of the quad ribbon iem cables i orderd as an FYI.

Introducing our newest cable creation, the Quad Ribbon. Pure silver ribbon wire matched with silver plated copper ribbon wire wound around a natural cotton fiber core.

The conductor material starts as 32awg round wire that is then flattened for greatest surface area and skin effect. We take great care to anneal the ribbon wire conductors after flattening to a soft temper.

The Quad Ribbon cable produces an ultra wide soundstage with superior imaging. It also delivers controlled, deep bass with zero smearing for articulate low frequency response.

Superior mechanical design, the ALO Quad Ribbon is tangle free and ultra low microphonic. Composed of inner jacket of Teflon and an outer jacket of medical grade PVC.

8 flat ribbon conductors (4 solid pure silver and 4 silver plated high purity copper)

Custom Annealed for a superior soft temper

100% Natural Cotton fiber center insulating core

PTFE Inner Jacket.

Medical-Grade PCV outer jacket.

Ultra low microphonics

Tangle-Free design

Left and Right channels marked for easy identification; Red = Right, Blue = Left

Multi ribbon wires produce a totally unique sound like no other headphone or earphone cable made today. Made in the USA.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #7,227 of 22,954
I found a permanent fix for MMCX connectors that are wobbly inside the SE846. I had to transplant the super thin small gold plate from the stock cable, in to my silver cable. Used the original locking ring, no need to swap this for another, but it does need to come off for the transplant. It's very snug now - no longer spins as freely as the stock cable and there is no more wiggle inside IEM.

I literally spent 30 mins trying to get both MMCX to cut out and no luck

The wiggle happens because the groove that the locking ring sits in, is deeper than the locking ring itself. The thin gold plate from the stock cable acts as a spacer and thus keeps the locking ring very snug in it's groove on the male MMCX connector (cable side). 

P.S I'm awesome 

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #7,228 of 22,954
  I found a permanent fix for MMCX connectors that are wobbly inside the SE846. I had to transplant the super thin small gold plate from the stock cable, inside my silver cable. It's very snug now - no longer spins freely as stock cable and there is no more wobble.

I literally spent 30 mins trying to get both MMCX to cut out and no luck

The looseness happens because the groove that the locking ring sits in, is deeper than the locking ring itself. The thin gold plate from the stock cable acts as a spacer and thus keeps the locking ring very snug in it's groove on the male MMCX connector (cable side). 

P.S I'm awesome 

I must say, your connectors certainly looks difference from the more recent ones that Ted has sent out. Hopefully, the new connectors don't have the same issue. Glad you found a fix by the way.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #7,229 of 22,954
  I must say, your connectors certainly looks difference from the more recent ones that Ted has sent out. Hopefully, the new connectors don't have the same issue. Glad you found a fix by the way.
biggrin.gif

Oh this is a different silver cable it's from 93Spec

I went back to the store where I got the cable from and asked the owner to try his other identical 93Spec cable and it also had the same issue inside the SE846 (note-they fit well on Westone IEM's, just a bit of wiggle on the 8's). So I knew I had to fix it myself and simply looked at the geometry of the connector, all has to do with the ring being snug inside its groove which requires a spacer that luckily, all our stock cables have and we can transplant this with relative ease! Very simple mod to only the cable side itself. That super thin gold spacer is also the reason why our stock cables fit so well :wink: 

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #7,230 of 22,954
So i ordered the Deoxit from eBay 2 days ago, and It came today. I got back from shooting an event, friend's baby shower. And low and behold, it was waiting for me. If you order the kit from ebay, you should expect fast delivery. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back