Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #7,186 of 22,945
Why do I have to be stuck at work late, with a 2.5 TRRS AK balanced cable around my neck, no AK and no IEMS? GRRRRRR. I can't believe I forgot my Pelican.

Can't wait to read your impressions - once you get home and try out your new snazzy cable! 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #7,187 of 22,945
Why do I have to be stuck at work late, with a 2.5 TRRS AK balanced cable around my neck, no AK and no IEMS? GRRRRRR. I can't believe I forgot my Pelican.

Going balanced definitely helps to make it airier and details, no?

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #7,189 of 22,945

I think it depends on various factors, as there are some balanced setups that sound better than SE, and vice-versa.  I had a great discussion with spook76 regarding balanced on this thread a few months ago.  I think the review of the RSA - The Intruder (below) explains at least one person's (my) view regarding balanced vs. SE.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #7,190 of 22,945

Thanks asarin!  I could have given you advice about specific devices, upgrades and the like, but I haven't seen you post much and your profile doesn't say anything about you - so my best advice to you is: why not choose what you will like and possibly love, yourself? 
wink_face.gif

You can go to the upcoming Head-Fi NY meet to get your feet wet, and then come to the big leagues, over at CanJam.  You'll be able to see your family in L.A., see the sights, and eat some yummy food.  After CanJam, you should try Bruxie - the closest location to CanJam is in Costa Mesa, just south via 55 freeway, not far away at all from CanJam which is across the street from South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa.  If you like waffles and waffle sandwiches, you should try it out - simply scrumptious!  Here's the link: http://bruxie.com/locations/costa-mesa/  If you do decide to come, hope to see you there! 

Yes, have been a silent lurker in these parts.  Learned a lot from you all, and enjoyed many a fine conversation without the need to interject!   
My music travels with me (commute, work, gym, home, bed) and I occasionally fall asleep with it so portability is key.  I dipped my toe into the world of IEMs with an obscure Panasonic “Zirconia” 900 something-or-other which had a very lively u-shaped signature.  When one driver failed, I picked up the SE215 (mainly for the ergonomics, price and detachable cables).  These remained my only IEM for a while until I bought the UE Triple Fi’s at a fire sale (sonically quite different from the 215, but enjoyable nevertheless, though rather uncomfortable).  Logitech sent me the UE900 as a warrantee replacement, and these opened another door into the realm of fidelity for me.   I also recently picked up the AT IM70 (which may be the poor man's SE846, as it shares a similar sonic signature).  When  I realized how much i liked the ATs, it was only a matter of time before desire overcame fiscal prudence and the 846 joined the collection.  And that, my friends, sums up my audio journey in a paragraph :) 
I do appreciate all the input and feedback.  You guys are awesome!  And in hindsight, i should have picked a better handle than asarin.  Just never expected to use it much  :wink: 

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #7,191 of 22,945
Quick impressions... Very quick. Better separation, better bass definition, and a little bit louder. This is out of my ak120ii. Definitely an upgrade. Monday or Tuesday next level of awesomeness, ak240 balanced. Going to be a long weekend...But I have the 120ii to keep me happy thankfully.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #7,192 of 22,945

Yes, have been a silent lurker in these parts.  Learned a lot from you all, and enjoyed many a fine conversation without the need to interject!   
My music travels with me (commute, work, gym, home, bed) and I occasionally fall asleep with it so portability is key.  I dipped my toe into the world of IEMs with an obscure Panasonic “Zirconia” 900 something-or-other which had a very lively u-shaped signature.  When one driver failed, I picked up the SE215 (mainly for the ergonomics, price and detachable cables).  These remained my only IEM for a while until I bought the UE Triple Fi’s at a fire sale (sonically quite different from the 215, but enjoyable nevertheless, though rather uncomfortable).  Logitech sent me the UE900 as a warrantee replacement, and these opened another door into the realm of fidelity for me.   I also recently picked up the AT IM70 (which may be the poor man's SE846, as it shares a similar sonic signature).  When  I realized how much i liked the ATs, it was only a matter of time before desire overcame fiscal prudence and the 846 joined the collection.  And that, my friends, sums up my audio journey in a paragraph :) 
I do appreciate all the input and feedback.  You guys are awesome!  And in hindsight, i should have picked a better handle than asarin.  Just never expected to use it much  :wink: 

What's so bad about Asarin? Also, welcome! The people in this thread are some of the most helpful and friendly members I've met on this forum, especially Moe. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 That man is angelic to say the least. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #7,193 of 22,945
Who is this "Moe" you speak of? ☺Seriously, I think the main reason I love my 8s is because of the nice peeps in this thread... Kidding obviously, but seriously, some real nice people in this thread. Very nice cult to be a part of.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #7,194 of 22,945

Silence is golden.  Sometimes interjecting can bite you in the you-know-what.  Make sure to back up all claims - at least that's what I try to do anyways.

Nice paragraph regarding your audio journey.  Hopefully your wallet won't get too light once you listen to more IEMs and headphones at the upcoming Head-Fi meet(s)!  As for your handle, you can change it, but underneath your 'new' handle, it will say "Formerly known as *insert your previous username*".  I've seen worse usernames.  Even mine gets messed up on the forums I use this username.  Whats worse, if moderators misspell it (as it has happened today on the So. Cal. CanJam thread), I definitely do not want to correct them, publicly or privately!  Oh my...I guess I did, now huh?  Hopefully it will be changed to my correct username spelling and if not, no worries - we will see. 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #7,195 of 22,945
  What's so bad about Asarin? Also, welcome! The people in this thread are some of the most helpful and friendly members I've met on this forum, especially Moe. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Who is this "Moe" you speak of? ☺Seriously, I think the main reason I love my 8s is because of the nice peeps in this thread... Kidding obviously, but seriously, some real nice people in this thread. Very nice cult to be a part of.

Indeed!  Thanks all :) Also, I confess to usually being too catatonic upon my return home from work to form a coherent thought, so while you may not hear much from me, know that I am very much around :)   I think i'll be sleeping with the 846s tonight :-D

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #7,196 of 22,945
Quick impressions... Very quick. Better separation, better bass definition, and a little bit louder. This is out of my ak120ii. Definitely an upgrade. Monday or Tuesday next level of awesomeness, ak240 balanced. Going to be a long weekend...But I have the 120ii to keep me happy thankfully.

Nice and concise impressions.  We will see if I will eat my words sometime soon.  Hopefully you won't have to get that kale ready...even though I do like kale.

bigsmile_face.gif

Thank you sir for your kind words.  We are all in this together.  I've learned from certain people on Head-Fi, even the ones who are banned 
tongue_smile.gif
@spook76, @M Coupe, and others have helped me out regarding cables, etc. when I first arrived at Head-Fi.  I'd like to give everyone high fives in Costa Mesa, because you are all so awesome! 
beerchug.gif
 (root beer float tonight in my glass, yum)

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #7,197 of 22,945
The time is coming Moe. 240 will be here Tuesday the latest, give me a few days, I'll probably ship out on the following Monday. Sorry, this whole 240 thing was not expected, definitely screwed up my plans.

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #7,198 of 22,945

Nice and concise impressions.  We will see if I will eat my words sometime soon.  Hopefully you won't have to get that kale ready...even though I do like kale.

Thank you sir for your kind words.  We are all in this together.  I've learned from certain people on Head-Fi, even the ones who are banned 
tongue_smile.gif
.  Spook76, M Coupe, and others have helped me out regarding cables, etc. when I first arrived at Head-Fi.  I'd like to give everyone high fives in Costa Mesa, because you are all so awesome! 
beerchug.gif
 (root beer float tonight in my glass, yum)

And I appreciate you passing on that knowledge to us. I would like to dedicate this song to Moe, and all the Head-fi heroes out there. Best heard with a pair of SE846 of course. :wink:

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #7,200 of 22,945

Jelt there is absolutely no question going balanced with a black background amp increases the soundstage, 3D imaging and the details.

However, as Moe and I discussed on this thread there is an obvious trade off using an amp with a smartphone. Namely, you have to turn off the phone and wifi to avoid RFI and Wifi interferance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back