Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #7,171 of 22,945
  Folks....I have a confession to make.  Over 6 months of salivating over the shared excitement and the innumerable glowing reviews in this thread, and I finally bit on an amazon warehouse deal for a used but very good condition 846.  The package arrived yesterday, and its contents have been firmly planted in my ear since.  But… in the spirit of full disclosure... I admit being a bit underwhelmed.  

Yes, the bass is full, taunt, and nothing short of magical.  True, the mids are what i’ve come to expect from Shure (my IEM journey began with the SE215), but where, oh where, are the details?  I’m all for laid back sound, and the bass lays down this perfect foundation to the soundtrack….but why does everything sound so….2 dimensional?  Almost like… (please don’t ban me for this)....a monaural radio with a  sub attached?

Yeah the micro-detail extraction (transparency) of the SE846 isn't its strong point, neither is spacious 3D seperation and pinpoint imaging. Everything sounds like it's coming from the middle of your brain or very near your head, like an inch or two away. Initially I thought the details are a hair better than something mid-tier like the UE900 and W4R.

Now after some break in I think it's improved a little in every category, but even now not sure I would say the detail extraction is at a $1000 level. The Mids are very VERY up front and in your face. If someone hasn't experienced this before (HD650, LCD-2, SE530/535), it can be very pleasing/exciting in the beginning (especially to the Head-FI newbie), maybe even for a year or two, but after a while you start to miss the upper 1/3 of the frequency response, the additional air/seperation/spaciousness that can come with it, and then crave to add a more neutral/detail oriented phone to the collection. This is why a lot of people own the HD800 + LCD-3, so they can have both types of sound.

Again, I'm not trying to be negative about the SE846. I LIKE IT A LOT. I think it's "magical," just like the SRH1540. It's got that cool vintage ribbon mic sound, where everything sounds like it was recorded using vintage mics. It's very engaging and easy on the ears. It just gets me emotionally involved with my music which is what I'm always looking for. For me it's worth the full $1000 I paid for plus tax, and will belong in my collction of IEMs and headphones and continue to get time from me.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #7,172 of 22,945

Yeah, Neutron's great if you have offline/local content on your smartphone and/or you want to listen to higher fidelity songs (depending on which type of file/recording you use of course) compared to current non-lossless streaming services such as Beats, Pandora, Spotify, etc.

I liked the AK120II as well with the SE846, as it is my pick for a boutique DAP (I have not heard the X5 yet though).  The AK240 sounded great as well, but I couldn't see the warmer sound necessitating a almost thousand dollar (new) price increase.  However, I can totally understand customers wanting a more warm and resolving sound, as I believe the AK240 shines in that regard compared to the AK120II.

Sorry to read this.  I am sure you'll find something that's even better in your life.  I understand exactly how you feel.  I am going through a career change as we type - and all of this work will be worth it.  Stay strong! 

Thx moedawg140.  Much appreciated.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #7,174 of 22,945
^ lol.  It's good to hear that I am not alone.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #7,175 of 22,945

They definitely can perform better. 2 things I would suggest:

• Try the white filters if you haven't already
  • Try a different source if you can (just to hear what they're capable of before you decide on their overall performance) - the attenuator does reduce sound quality noticeably and the iPhone 5s, while good, is not completely up to the task of squeezing the best from the 8s

Perhaps the trickiest thing about these earphones is their crazily low impedance and high sensitivity. Despite what you might read, a low impedance is actually not a good thing and makes it hard for average sources to correctly drive the earphone because of the need for higher current - volume is easy with low impedance, quality is not.

EDIT: Not knocking the 8s as I think they're hands-down the best universal on the market - I just wish they could have achieved the same results with an impedance closer to 30 ohms which seems to be a sweet spot for most devices to drive comfortably

Tips appreciated!  Yes, using the whites as we speak, and finding the iPhone 5s (no attenuator) a tad bit better thank the mac (with the attenuator), so point well taken.  I guess its time to decide if I can/should change my lifestyle around the music (invest in a better source, better audio format) or go back to where i came from…..sigh!

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #7,176 of 22,945

Tips appreciated!  Yes, using the whites as we speak, and finding the iPhone 5s (no attenuator) a tad bit better thank the mac (with the attenuator), so point well taken.  I guess its time to decide if I can/should change my lifestyle around the music (invest in a better source, better audio format) or go back to where i came from…..sigh!

Hmm...where do you live?  Maybe you can attend a local Head-Fi meet to listen to a plethora of IEMs and headphones with your 5S (good source by the way) and find out what works for you.  Also, most all Head-Fi meets have strap-on DACs/amps, and boutique DAPs as well if you want to try out those devices.  Regardless of where anyone lives, you (and everyone) should attend CanJam in Costa Mesa, CA in March (link to thread here): http://www.head-fi.org/t/741136/canjam-socal-2015-march-28-29-2015-its-official.  You can come from wherever you live to So. Cal. to vacation or to see any friends/relatives out here during CanJam as well!  Sounds like an uber (not the Ref. 1 $1,300 'upgrade' cable) win to me!  I'll be there for sure, so it would be nice to see fellow SE846 owners there as well.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #7,177 of 22,945
  Yeah the micro-detail extraction (transparency) of the SE846 isn't its strong point, neither is spacious 3D seperation and pinpoint imaging. Everything sounds like it's coming from the middle of your brain or very near your head, like an inch or two away. Initially I thought the details are a hair better than something mid-tier like the UE900 and W4R.

Now after some break in I think it's improved a little in every category, but even now not sure I would say the detail extraction is at a $1000 level. The Mids are very VERY up front and in your face. If someone hasn't experienced this before (HD650, LCD-2, SE530/535), it can be very pleasing/exciting in the beginning (especially to the Head-FI newbie), maybe even for a year or two, but after a while you start to miss the upper 1/3 of the frequency response, the additional air/seperation/spaciousness that can come with it, and then crave to add a more neutral/detail oriented phone to the collection. This is why a lot of people own the HD800 + LCD-3, so they can have both types of sound.

Again, I'm not trying to be negative about the SE846. I LIKE IT A LOT. I think it's "magical," just like the SRH1540. It's got that cool vintage ribbon mic sound, where everything sounds like it was recorded using vintage mics. It's very engaging and easy on the ears. It just gets me emotionally involved with my music which is what I'm always looking for. For me it's worth the full $1000 I paid for plus tax, and will belong in my collction of IEMs and headphones and continue to get time from me.

You said it best!  With the UE900, music presents in what I can only describe as “layers”...(sorry, my audiophile vocabulary is rather limited)….with distinct separation between instruments.   On the other hand, the SE846 smacks you in the face, and seems to do it unapologetically.  I can appreciate that, and I see that many do here, but airy and 3D this IEM likely isn't.  

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #7,178 of 22,945

If you have a PC, you could just pick up a decent sound card. The Sound Blaster Z can be had for $56 on Amazon and should be enough of an upgrade.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #7,179 of 22,945

Hmm...where do you live?  Maybe you can attend a local Head-Fi meet to listen to a plethora of IEMs and headphones with your 5S (good source by the way) and find out what works for you.  Also, most all Head-Fi meets have strap-on DACs/amps, and boutique DAPs as well if you want to try out those devices.  Regardless of where anyone lives, you (and everyone) should attend CanJam in Costa Mesa, CA in March (link to thread here): http://www.head-fi.org/t/741136/canjam-socal-2015-march-28-29-2015-its-official.  You can come from wherever you live to So. Cal. to vacation or to see any friends/relatives out here during CanJam as well!  Sounds like an uber (not the Ref. 1 $1,300 'upgrade' cable) win to me!  I'll be there for sure, so it would be nice to see fellow SE846 owners there as well.

Best. advice. ever.  I'm in the dumps (well 10 miles from the nation's capital, but not much going on here audio-wise).  I hear there's an upcoming meet in NY.  Also have family in LA and coming to think of it, its been a while since I visited.....Hmmm......  :)

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #7,180 of 22,945
Moedawg140: Thankyou very much for the app suggestions, sir. :) Having completed aforesaid process of transferring all that media, I am now enjoying my new purchase.

Sort of...

The iPod classic still reigns supreme in SQ. It is that much warmer and fuller. What I am hearing now (listening to Wintersun of course) seems a little "aluminium-like."

Hence those two apps might just be the ticket.

Bass extension seems to be on par with the Classic, though.

Aserin: I am surprised that you find the 8s to be lacking in detail. They arenot exactly analytical, but every detail is there to be heard imo. Instrument separation is all fantastic. It leaves the IE800s dead and mummified by comparison.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #7,181 of 22,945
If you have a PC, you could just pick up a decent sound card. The Sound Blaster Z can be had for $56 on Amazon and should be enough of an upgrade.

Aah, the days of high-end audio cards!  Bought the sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS from Best Buy a few aeons ago.  Paid close to $300 for it at the time and it was (and believe it or not, still remains) my 5.1 "home theater" solution with a bi-amped setup.  Never bought a receiver.  

Getting back on topic, I am a firm believer that BA drivers don't need burn in, so i'll just blame brain burn-in which seems to be unravelling the sound sig of the 846 as the hours pass.  Who knows, perhaps i'll decide to keep them yet!  

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #7,182 of 22,945

Best. advice. ever.  I'm in the dumps (well 10 miles from the nation's capital, but not much going on here audio-wise).  I hear there's an upcoming meet in NY.  Also have family in LA and coming to think of it, its been a while since I visited.....Hmmm......  :)

Thanks asarin!  I could have given you advice about specific devices, upgrades and the like, but I haven't seen you post much and your profile doesn't say anything about you - so my best advice to you is: why not choose what you will like and possibly love, yourself? 
wink_face.gif

You can go to the upcoming Head-Fi NY meet to get your feet wet, and then come to the big leagues, over at CanJam.  You'll be able to see your family in L.A., see the sights, and eat some yummy food.  After CanJam, you should try Bruxie - the closest location to CanJam is in Costa Mesa, just south via 55 freeway, not far away at all from CanJam which is across the street from South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa.  If you like waffles and waffle sandwiches, you should try it out - simply scrumptious!  Here's the link: http://bruxie.com/locations/costa-mesa/  If you do decide to come, hope to see you there! 

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #7,183 of 22,945

Thanks asarin!  I could have given you advice about specific devices, upgrades and the like, but I haven't seen you post much and your profile doesn't say anything about you - so my best advice to you is: why not choose what you will like and possibly love, yourself? 
wink_face.gif

You can go to the upcoming Head-Fi NY meet to get your feet wet, and then come to the big leagues, over at CanJam.  You'll be able to see your family in L.A., see the sights, and eat some yummy food.  After CanJam, you should try Bruxie - the closest location to CanJam is in Costa Mesa, just south via 55 freeway, not far away at all from CanJam which is across the street from South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa.  If you like waffles and waffle sandwiches, you should try it out - simply scrumptious!  Here's the link: http://bruxie.com/locations/costa-mesa/  If you do decide to come, hope to see you there! 

moedawg140 2016! Wooooo! 

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #7,184 of 22,945
Moedawg140: Thankyou very much for the app suggestions, sir.
smily_headphones1.gif
Having completed aforesaid process of transferring all that media, I am now enjoying my new purchase.

Sort of...

The iPod classic still reigns supreme in SQ. It is that much warmer and fuller. What I am hearing now (listening to Wintersun of course) seems a little "aluminium-like."

Hence those two apps might just be the ticket.

Bass extension seems to be on par with the Classic, though...

I sincerely hope the Neutron app (PM me if you want the settings I use) will elevate the sound quality to the level of your iPod classic (and maybe surpass it a little).  I will say that the Neutron/Onkyo app compared to the Golden Ears by Accudio app is definitely more coherent regarding overall elevation in sound quality in my honest opinion.

Aah, the days of high-end audio cards!  Bought the sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS from Best Buy a few aeons ago.  Paid close to $300 for it at the time and it was (and believe it or not, still remains) my 5.1 "home theater" solution with a bi-amped setup.  Never bought a receiver.  

Getting back on topic, I am a firm believer that BA drivers don't need burn in, so i'll just blame brain burn-in which seems to be unravelling the sound sig of the 846 as the hours pass.  Who knows, perhaps i'll decide to keep them yet!  

Tips do play a part regarding individual perceived sound quality.  I am not sure what your budget is, or if you really want to give the SE846 a shot, but the SCS does in my opinion (and everyone who has had a positive experience with them) elevate the overall sound quality of the SE846.  Definitely not saying to purchase those now, as I feel you should demo as many IEMs as you can, but with that said, if you demo all of those TOTL IEMs and come back to the SE846, then I would say the SCS at that point may be worth it for you as an upgrade regarding fit, seal, and a perceived elevation of sound quality.  Good luck to you in your endeavors. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back