Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #7,141 of 22,954

I received them end of May, beginning of June 2014.  So you think Ted may be using better connectors at this point?

I know that as of now (and at least the last few months) Ted is using the Tri-Metal MMCX connectors.  Do you know specifically which MMCX connectors you have? (asked again in case you missed it the first time)

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #7,142 of 22,954

This was my exact experience except after a few weeks the whites started to sound a little weird, like there was a glare over the upper-mid lower treble range, and everything started to sound dull/unremarkable in general so I went back to the blue filters and discovered a nice tonality I had not noticed before.

I think once they break in a little you should try the blue filters again see if your experience mirrors mine. Yeah I was very happy about the white filters though cuz right outta the box the blue's were a bit dull sounding, almost like a SE535 + some bass and not really "next level".

Now they are next level sounding and is a good choice when I don't want to hear any treble at all and have my face smothered in sweet lush mids.
evil_smiley.gif
(reminds me of the LCD-2 when it was hot HOT HOT on Head-Fi and flavor of the month for a year, but not quite that magical of course)

I am happy to report that bass texture has improved a bit as well. Not as one note sounding as before, although I would never call the bass detailed/textured.

I agree regarding the move to white and back to blue - that's exactly the path I've taken although cables also had a part to play in that decision. Right now I'm rocking blue filters with comply tips and loving the sound, but am curious to try the white filters with the comply tips as I haven't tried that combo yet

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #7,143 of 22,954
I agree regarding the move to white and back to blue - that's exactly the path I've taken although cables also had a part to play in that decision. Right now I'm rocking blue filters with comply tips and loving the sound, but am curious to try the white filters with the comply tips as I haven't tried that combo yet

Is it true that the comply tips do not last as long? I've read comments on how they only last a month or two.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #7,144 of 22,954
I don't use specifically comply but I LOVE the Shure foamy olives that came with the 846. I love how it gives such deep bass without compromising the rest of the sound. I also thought that they might only last a few weeks so I bought 10 pairs from ebay just in case .. after 4 months, I'm still on the first pair and they don't even look used at all. I'm quite surprised at how long they have lasted and I use them at least a few hours a day.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #7,145 of 22,954
I don't use specifically comply but I LOVE the Shure foamy olives that came with the 846. I love how it gives such deep bass without compromising the rest of the sound. I also thought that they might only last a few weeks so I bought 10 pairs from ebay just in case .. after 4 months, I'm still on the first pair and they don't even look used at all. I'm quite surprised at how long they have lasted and I use them at least a few hours a day.

Yeah, I've heard someone say that they used a single pair for 9 months. Lol

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #7,147 of 22,954
The 846 initially did wow me at first. But the more I listen to it the more the shure house sound grew on me. Its that "grainy" mid range that i love. Nowadays I find this is the iem I reach for the most. My other sets are getting little ear time. A job well done to shure!

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #7,149 of 22,954
I was feeling bad for all my other iems the last week so I put my 846 away and had a day or two each with my other iems ... then yesterday I went back to the 846 and WOW .. they are just amazing .. I have put my other ones away again :)

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #7,150 of 22,954
  Just curious, are these the products you're all talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006LVEU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/DeoxITGOLD-Liquid-squeeze-tube-solution/dp/B003D8EA7A/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1415255394&sr=1-3&keywords=deoxit+gold

I got this kit on ebay. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281463470106?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #7,152 of 22,954
I tried the comply tips. They're by far my favorite from a comfort perspective, but the foam isn't as dense as with the Shure olives, and I feel like I'm giving up isolation, some bass and some detail. I reluctantly went back to the olives because they sound significantly better to me. It's a shame, because the comply tips are SO comfy. I also find they're easier to put in.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #7,153 of 22,954
Nov 6, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #7,154 of 22,954
Out of the 5 MMCX cables that I've tried so far in the $250 to $30 price range, the only two that have no wiggle whatsoever inside the SE846 are the ADL IHP-35m and stock cable.

I'm too OCD to tolerate any MMCX cable wiggle so I will likely go back to stock cable (memory wire-removed). Besides the bulky Y Split and mini jack, it's probably my favorite cable overall. Sonically I do prefer the silver 93spec cable but the sound cuts out due to cable wiggle which ruins the mood for me.

Perhaps once my 93spec cable is replaced and sold, I'll try a silver cable from Ted with the tri-plated MMCX connectors which are supposed to fit very snugly but I'm in no hurry whatsoever. Based on my experience, after spending ~$400 on cables, I'm sold on the stock cable. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #7,155 of 22,954
I'll have a Ted Silver Litz next week - I would imagine that since they are being manufactured as we speak, they will have the new triple-plated MMCX connectors on them....

Looking forward to it... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back