Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #6,721 of 22,945
Just out of curiosity what are some of the most aesthetic and comfortable cables? Doesn't have to be silver. I REALLY like the look  ALO copper 22 cable but I think it only comes in 2.5mm TRRS termination for AK240 etc. I need 3.5mm TRS (reg) termination.

That one looks even better in person.

The Furutech cable I have is comfortable albeit could be thinner, but it looks a bit weird I suppose. I don't care for these 5 million strand cables as thick as my arm. Thinner the better. Obviously I would prefer at least OCC copper.

Memory wire is okay, as in I'm gonna remove it as soon as I unbox the cable lol.

Edit:
I found a nice looking one for $199! doublehelix

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #6,722 of 22,945
  Just out of curiosity what are some of the most aesthetic and comfortable cables? Doesn't have to be silver. I REALLY like the look  ALO copper 22 cable but I think it only comes in 2.5mm TRRS termination for AK240 etc. I need 3.5mm TRS (reg) termination.

That one looks even better in person.

The Furutech cable I have is comfortable albeit could be thinner, but it looks a bit weird I suppose. I don't care for these 5 million strand cables as thick as my arm. Thinner the better. Obviously I would prefer at least OCC copper.

Memory wire is okay, as in I'm gonna remove it as soon as I unbox the cable lol.

Edit:
I found a nice looking one for $199! doublehelix

I use a very similar DHC cable on my 2-pin IEMs (Miracles, etc.) and it's excellent, but quite thick still. Ted Allen's cables are smaller because he uses a tight braid, but they're not quite as sexy in my opinion. DHC, Toxic and other "premium" cables tend to look a little more professionally finished, but it's purely aesthetic as far as I can tell. The silver litz cable I got from Ted for my 8s is perfect in almost every since even though it's more basic looking. My only complaint is that it can generate some microphonics due to the tight braid having no give to absorb vibrations.

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #6,723 of 22,945
I have the SE846, which i am running via my DX90. Its been an awesome ride so far, but my cable's memory wire isn't working as well, and that affecting my comfort :frowning2:

I've decided to get a new cable, but since I'm still pretty new to all these, what would you guys recommend? :)

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #6,725 of 22,945
  I have the SE846, which i am running via my DX90. Its been an awesome ride so far, but my cable's memory wire isn't working as well, and that affecting my comfort :frowning2:

I've decided to get a new cable, but since I'm still pretty new to all these, what would you guys recommend? :)

Unfortunately quite a few of the better cables I've seen come with memory wire. It's easy to remove. Other members as well as myself did it for the stock cable. I also did it on my Furutech iHP-35m cable as well, no problem! 

Just keep in mind if you ever need to send your SE846 for repairs, you might have to buy the stock cable when you send them in (remove memory wire = no warranty). It's only like $35 though  

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #6,726 of 22,945
This is my Plussound X8 Hybrid - Silver & 1% Gold/Copper..... Recently received - haven't had the time to use it yet - want to be able to A/B some tunes with no interruptions - but hey, My son turned 16 today and I was busy.....

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #6,727 of 22,945
Anyone have the chance to compare SR-71B and F-35 with their SE846? Does one sound better then the other? I've been running single ended and so far I'm not crazy impressed with SR-71B, I think the DX90 internal amp is already pretty good. I just want my balance cables. 
frown.gif

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #6,728 of 22,945
I have the effect audio Thor silver and thor copper
The silver is exceptionally light no memory wire
Flexible braid the copper just a bit heavier
Sound to me is very detailed and open
Order Direct from effect audio for best price

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #6,729 of 22,945
  Unfortunately quite a few of the better cables I've seen come with memory wire. It's easy to remove. Other members as well as myself did it for the stock cable. I also did it on my Furutech iHP-35m cable as well, no problem! 

I wouldn't mind memory wire though, so long as they are comfortable. I guess most importantly is the quality of the sound that's being transmitted, and also of course the quality of the construction?

Just keep in mind if you ever need to send your SE846 for repairs, you might have to buy the stock cable when you send them in (remove memory wire = no warranty). It's only like $35 though  

I have the spare cable that shure provided, just for this scenario :)

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #6,730 of 22,945
I have cables by Ted, Forza, and DHC.  All have great quality, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #6,732 of 22,945
I hate all of you! (lol) I'm shopping cables and have opened a conversation with Ted about his Ref Litz Silver, though I can't help but eyeball the DHC's. Don't think I'd be happy with the Silver or Black Dragon. But with my E12A arriving tomorrow, I figure I'm just going to bite the bullet and get everything I want now and be done with it. Until I want something else...lol. Seems like a lot of 8 owners like Teds cables.

blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back