Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #6,571 of 22,945
I just cut a small piece from the bottom of the included triple flanges, which were too long for my auditory orifices anyway.

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #6,572 of 22,945
  I have been extremely happy with the 846 since I got this in January this year, coming from 535 which I used for years. Paired with the Hugo amp the 846 satisfies every time I listen. For full sized headphones and regardless of cost, what would you suggest as option that will give a substantial sonic improvement to 846 when paired with competent amp like the Hugo. I have listened myself to all the Audeze except LCD2, the HD800 and TH900, and frankly I am not sure if there is one that gives that substantial improvement over the 846.

That will depend entirely on what you consider as weaknesses in the 846.  I personally can't list too many as I find the 846 to be exactly what I was looking for.  If you are looking for something more neutral, accurate etc... then we can probably help.  Like others have said, you might end up with complement HP instead of straight up improvement ones.
I have HD800 driven my a Woo WA22 with decent upgraded tubes but the 846 always puts a smile on my face every time.
However, if you twisted my arms for an answer then I would say Stax009 driven with a headamp blue hawaii. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #6,573 of 22,945
Hi folks

Any recommendations for a closed portable headphone that has a similar sound signature to the SE846?

I would like a portable headphone alternative to the SE846 without sacrificing the lovely SQ that I'm used to with this IEM. Tried Sony MDR 7520, but that strayed abit too far from what I was after. Thinking Beyerdynamic T51P or NAD Viso HP50 might do the job...  

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Dave 

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #6,574 of 22,945
  Hi folks

Any recommendations for a closed portable headphone that has a similar sound signature to the SE846?

I would like a portable headphone alternative to the SE846 without sacrificing the lovely SQ that I'm used to with this IEM. Tried Sony MDR 7520, but that strayed abit too far from what I was after. Thinking Beyerdynamic T51P or NAD Viso HP50 might do the job...  

Cheers
Dave 

I have the SE846 and the T51p and they sound nothing alike. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #6,576 of 22,945
If it doesn't have to sound exactly like the SE846, then I would look into the SRH1540. A Shure family product that has also been very well executed. The mids are not up front like the SE846 but the overall presentation is beautiful and easy to listen to. And the comfort is just fantastic, gives your sore ear canals a break once in a while too.

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #6,577 of 22,945
  Hi folks

Cheers
Dave 

I will add my one cent in I suppose:

The only sound signature that I have listened to that was anywhere in the ballpark of SE846's sound signature was the LCD-X, but it is an open headphone, as you specifically mentioned closed.  I can think of other closed headphone alternatives that have pretty good bass, but the rest of the sound spectrum suffers - well it doesn't suffer, it just doesn't sound as coherent as the SE846, in my opinion.  I would look at the basshead thread, as they have a top 10 of the most bass-emitting headphones out there.  The only ones they recommend that are basshead worthy (high ranking) and sound great as well are the Fostex TH600 and TH900.  Maybe look into those if you can demo them.  Hope this helps, and good luck, Dave!

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #6,578 of 22,945

Thanks a lot. I am really looking for to get SE846 as an upgrade to my SE535ltd. I heard a lot of review saying that the upgrade is totally worth because there are some huge improvements. Now I am even more certain about to get the SE846 someday. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #6,579 of 22,945

Thanks a lot. I am really looking for to get SE846 as an upgrade to my SE535ltd. I heard a lot of review saying that the upgrade is totally worth because there are some huge improvements. Now I am even more certain about to get the SE846 someday. 

I think huge is very subjective word, especially if you are coming from your SE535LTD.  If you are into bass, yes it is definitely 'worth it'.  Demo it at an airport InMotion Entertainment store if you live in the U.S. if you can, to get a pretty good gauge of the elevation in sound quality you have been looking (hearing) for.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #6,580 of 22,945

I think huge is very subjective word, especially if you are coming from your SE35LTD.  If you are into bass, yes it is definitely 'worth it'.  Demo it at an airport InMotion Entertainment store if you live in the U.S. if you can, to get a pretty good gauge of the elevation in sound quality you have been looking (hearing) for.

I agree with Moe that you may not want to go into it expecting a whole world of difference, but there's no doubt it's a significant upgrade. My pathway for top-end IEMs was SE535LTD --> UM Miracle --> SE846 and each time I found a noticeable improvement in sound to the point that I sold my previous flagship (I have always kept some secondary / cheaper ones around) to fund future purchases. So you'll definitely notice improvements - no doubt of that - but it's an incremental step with improvements in each and every aspect of the SE535LTD rather than a whole new ball game.

I feel like I've just talked down my favourite IEM ever to date...
frown.gif
They're awesome so definitely demo them and make sure you try some different filters if you're not sold on the stock blue ones as the blue filters can be under-whelming depending on your tastes and what you're used to.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #6,581 of 22,945

I think huge is very subjective word, especially if you are coming from your SE535LTD.  If you are into bass, yes it is definitely 'worth it'.  Demo it at an airport InMotion Entertainment store if you live in the U.S. if you can, to get a pretty good gauge of the elevation in sound quality you have been looking (hearing) for.

Thank you. I mostly listen to bass-heavy electric music using iPod Classic, and I always not so satisfy with the bass of my se535ltd, especially compares to my previously owned ie80. The reason I chose se535ltd as my primary IEM is because I am really comfortable with the outstanding mid-range. I don't know how SE846 values between the mid-range and low-range but it should be a breakthrough. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #6,582 of 22,945

I agree with Moe that you may not want to go into it expecting a whole world of difference, but there's no doubt it's a significant upgrade. My pathway for top-end IEMs was SE535LTD --> UM Miracle --> SE846 and each time I found a noticeable improvement in sound to the point that I sold my previous flagship (I have always kept some secondary / cheaper ones around) to fund future purchases. So you'll definitely notice improvements - no doubt of that - but it's an incremental step with improvements in each and every aspect of the SE535LTD rather than a whole new ball game.

frown.gif
They're awesome so definitely demo them and make sure you try some different filters if you're not sold on the stock blue ones as the blue filters can be under-whelming depending on your tastes and what you're used to.

Nah, you didn't talk down on it at all, you were just being real, and that's always welcome! (from most people usually, heh)

Thank you. I mostly listen to bass-heavy electric music using iPod Classic, and I always not so satisfy with the bass of my se535ltd, especially compares to my previously owned ie80. The reason I chose se535ltd as my primary IEM is because I am really comfortable with the outstanding mid-range. I don't know how SE846 values between the mid-range and low-range but it should be a breakthrough. 

No worries, burnoutcat!  I listen to the SE846 from my iPhone 6, and it sounds amazing, in my and other 6 owner's opinions.  The SE846's midrange is exemplary, especially when you pair it with the right color (or modded) filters that sound the best to you.  You'll be in love.  If your sizes-fit-all tips you try do not bode well for comfort, fit, seal, deep insertion, isolation, etc. then another upgrade would be the SCS, and that would in my opinion, put you through the stratosphere, or at least on your way there. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #6,583 of 22,945

frown.gif

Love my SE535ltd until I broke the nozzle while listening on the bed. 
frown.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #6,584 of 22,945

Love my SE535ltd until I broke the nozzle while listening on the bed. 
frown.gif

Well you won't be able to break the stainless steel nozzle of the SE846  - that is, unless you're the Hulk. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #6,585 of 22,945
Thanks for the feedback. 

I thought the T51p might have been similar to SE846 due to its apparently bassy signature. I guess not lol

I found the T51 to have more of a mid bass emphasis, I'd say the dt1350 bass is more like se846, great impact and extension. The HP50 has a similar smoothed off treble but is not as forward sounding and its bass lacks impact and extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back