Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #6,526 of 22,945
8s are amazing IMHO. They also sound incredible with my Fiio X3, which for some reason I really enjoy listening to, especially with the 8s. If anyone has the opportunity to use them together definitely give it a run. sounds great with my Rwak120b and Intruder stack too. They are also the best sounding IEMS I own running straight from my Note 3. One last advantage, if you are running from Android, and your rooted with v4a, it has an option for the 8s,which sounds incredible as well.

Oct 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #6,527 of 22,945
Tips?
smile.gif

Oct 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #6,528 of 22,945
I'm a huge fan of Westone star tips. Love the isolation and fit. I'm going to experiment more with my tips though for sure. I normally find what fits best and run with it. I'm actually wondering if that's why I didn't find the bass to be at the level. I thought it'd be at. it sounds great, hits low, but it seemed to be on par with my Heir 8.0 or slightly less IIRC. Definitely hits the lowest out of everything I own, but ranks 3rd in overall bass behind my Ref 1 and my G2s.

Oct 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #6,529 of 22,945
Yup, heard the asg2 and i agree.The problem with star tips is they don't have the quantity and fullness of bass of the grey ones although everything is more upfront and livelier.Hnnggnn, back to changing filters.

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #6,532 of 22,945
Now for the sad part:xf_eek: .Depending on future improvement through burn in,(if there is any since it's armature iem) these do not beat my admittedly long burned in senheiser ie800.With the medium grey tips they lose in clarity and detail  especially in the instruments like guitar strings and voices are pushed back,although the bass has good impact and control .With silicon star tips they become more energetic,the mids are livelier and lusher, the sound is more enganging but the soundstage becomes congested and they are murdered in the bass department by the ie800.The olive ones were too uncomfortable  and although the bass was there the sound felt kinda off.I will try them again later.

What tips do you guys so far use as i believe that the stock tips do not unlock the capabilities of this iem.

One month ago I was exactly where you are now. I got my brand new SE846, and I was dissapointed. My IE800 was much better in almost every way. I tried every supplied tip, but wasn't satisfied. I let them burn in for 20 hours and then I tried the triflange silicon tips and the sound was suprisingly better. I them ordered the westone variety pack and fell in love with the start tips. (Silicon) Those are perfect for me. Comfortable, easy to set in my ears and sound great. I also bought the Black Dragon cable and the sound improved even more! Today I can honestly say that I prefer SE846 over ie800, and just an hour ago I sold them.

One note about the Black Dragon cable. It's a bit stiff over all and has more microfonics than the stock cable, so I'm not completely satisfied with it. May try other options.

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #6,533 of 22,945
The thing is i already have the silver dream cable from the 535 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dream-Cable-5N-OCC-Silver-Upgrade-Cable-Shure-SE535-SE425-SE315-SE215-/321540499985?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4add4eaa11   and it made a  difference in 846 as it did in 535,really great cable.I also have all the silicon westone varieties and am familiar with the signature it provides.

Those who sold the ie800 without proper burn in made a mistake in my opinion.The sound is getting better and better and as m13 said they are more spacious and airy with higher treble extension than the shure.Still  i just got the shure and still experimenting with tips and filters so there is that.As far as triflange go i tried them once and i would be more comfortable giving blood again than putting these things deep in my ears like i did an hour ago.

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #6,534 of 22,945
Just wanted to jump into this thread after picking up what will most likely be the IEM's that I'll be using for sometime into the future. Let me provide my in-depth review for everybody after listening to the 846's with my equally new X5 for a short period last night. I'm coming from the SCL5's that I've had for some time now...which I really don't think is that relevant for a true measure of the SQ. My detailed review of the 846's is below:

F'n AWESOME! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #6,535 of 22,945
  Just wanted to jump into this thread after picking up what will most likely be the IEM's that I'll be using for sometime into the future. Let me provide my in-depth review for everybody after listening to the 846's with my equally new X5 for a short period last night. I'm coming from the SCL5's that I've had for some time now...which I really don't think is that relevant for a true measure of the SQ. My detailed review of the 846's is below:

F'n AWESOME! 
biggrin.gif

Man, I hate having to take the time to read through overly long reviews! :wink:

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #6,536 of 22,945
You can just skim as that is one approach to reading that teachers advise their students to do. Or, you can just not read the overly long reviews. :bigsmile_face:

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #6,538 of 22,945
Happy to say I'm part of the se846 club ! :D

This has been a real eye opening past few weeks, going from the Ref 1 to the se846 I did not see coming...this is where I say a BIG thanks to warrior1975 for loaning me them which ive had for the past week or so :D top man!!, & for giving me the opportunity to really have a serious test run. More on that in abit.

I'm not keeping his pair by the way :p I visited my local store this morning, Where I traded my Ref 1's for Shures, and paid a small difference, all the way with a massive grin lol

I'll share some comparisons with the ref1, won't be near as good as moedawg's as he did an awesome job of that recently, awesome read!

On first listen with the 846's I noticed clarity is a lot better then the Ref 1 straight away, highs sound laid back and lack richness compared to the se 846, the detail on the 8's treble is amazing, crisp, full and clear. The highs being amazing is not my favourite part of the Shures though , as they could do with extending for more air (the white filter is too peaky for me, sticking with the blue filter). The difference is that the Ref 1 treble is now sounding veiled, narrower, less detailed and not really anywhere near as exiting as the Shures high end. However I take nothing back with the enjoyment I got from the Ref 1, they are still great iem's.

With the mids se846's are lush and forward (very clean and clear), so ORGANIC and can be orgasmic at the same time ! It's an amazing connection to the music. I also notice they are strong, forward with silky detail. The Ref 1 are scaled back, whilst still nice, hasn't got that forward projection and lacks rich strong detail in what the Shures do.

Ref 1's bass sounds bigger in space, but sounds boomy and a little clouded now. se846's is tightly controlled with stronger punch! and the sub bass finely pronounced and elegant, sub is totally separated from the other frequencies, and extremely clear!!! Best I've heard yet. Ref 1 is just a little messy, maybe abit over the place but still enjoyable, just not as satisfying.

Se846 Soundstage is tight and very wide, maybe not as wide as the Ref 1, but better in instrument separation, very analytical placement which is additive listening to well mixed songs. It's like being front row in a concert, you are engulfed in a spectacular soundstage, so intimidate you want to touch it. However i would say the sound is maybe closed in your head a little more compared to Ref 1, but still very open compared to most iem's ive heard.

So there you have it, Its honestly weird because I did not like them months ago when I tested them out only briefly & due to wrong tips I now discover. Using the large grey rubber tips I get perfect isolation and fit, I can move my head around fast and they won't fall out, perfect for jogging. Lol Really did not see this day coming 2 weeks ago, again thanks to Warrior for letting me hear them first. I felt bad but excited at the same time, knowing that I really prefer the 8's I have to let the Ref 1's go. That's how it is I suppose, best choice I have made :)

The Shures have my full recommendation, they are the most organically rich iem experience i have the pleasure of owning :D

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #6,539 of 22,945
Let me be the first to welcome you to the club!!! It was my pleasure sharing a great iem and I'm glad you love it bro!!

I'm really starting to doubt my ears... everyone is liking the 8s more then the Ref 1.

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #6,540 of 22,945
Let me be the first to welcome you to the club!!! It was my pleasure sharing a great iem and I'm glad you love it bro!!

I'm really starting to doubt my ears... everyone is liking the 8s more then the Ref 1.

Heh thanks man :D doubt it's your ears mate, probably need the right tip or you just prefer the Ref 1 sound, still a great IEM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back