Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #6,466 of 22,960

I find it helpful to match the little red mark on the nozzle with its corresponding red mark on the threaded collar before screwing on the washer. This usually gives a flushed result for me? 

Yeah, matching the red paint marks should help, but even if the marks are in the right and exact spot, the angle can be off, so angling both the nozzle and threaded collar and screwing the threaded collar into the earphone housing will produce the fastest and error-free flushed results after 1 - ~5 tries (usually 1 or 2 tries for me).

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #6,467 of 22,960
Is someone here amping the 846, and if yes are you hearing an improvement? At 9ohm impedance and 114 dB SPL/mW Sensitivity,
I can't imagine why I should, but it's not always about numbers, right?

Yes, I amp my 8s since the moment I owned them and you are right it is not about making it louder. I use a balanced amp that brings greater clarity, dynamics and big improvement in the soundstage.

I have it on unimpreachable authority (MCoupe) that the gains I get on my $550 amp (the RSA Lightning) can be taken to another level if you move to a $2500 amp (Chord Hugo).

The long and short answer is yes amplification is the logical next step after acquiring the SE846. However, the 8s sound just great out of a DAP and any improvement gained by an amp is governed by the Law of Diminishing Returns.

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #6,468 of 22,960
I think I already know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway:

I like using the inline control with my iPhone, so I was thinking of cross grading to a Chris himself cable with the control. I figured to go with the litz ii copper cable. How deleterious would the control be to the cable?

Thanks

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #6,469 of 22,960
Spook, I agree with your post!  The Hugo sounds so creamy smooth and is euphoric in nature, but a good DAP or smartphone will definitely suffice as well.  I feel like everything that I've heard 'between' my iPhone 6 and the Hugo (boutique DAPs/amps) is simply too close to call regarding any type of marked improvement or any, for that matter, simply a matter of preference regarding adding equipment or keeping it simple with a do-it-all type of device.

The ~9ohm SE846 is very easy to drive/power, so there won't have any issues with the volume or anything like that, but the FR might be affected if the source isn't the most optimal regarding a match for the SE846 impedance-wise.

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #6,470 of 22,960
I think I already know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway:

I like using the inline control with my iPhone, so I was thinking of cross grading to a Chris himself cable with the control. I figured to go with the litz ii copper cable. How deleterious would the control be to the cable?

Thanks

Hmm...okay, after checking the Chris_Himself website he does indeed sell the Type II Litz Copper cable.  I don't have the Chris_Himself cable, but I have a HL Silver Litz cable, and I'll test it right now and I'll edit this post to let you know how it sounds with the inline control.

Edit: The stock Shure inline control (tested with the HL Silver Litz) does not sound very good at all with my iPhone, as the presentation is muffled and slightly artificial with the inline control.  Using the Type II Litz Copper cable may or may not present better results - but my guess is that it would not sound that great, especially since the wiring used does not match the connecting earphone cable being used (silver, copper, etc.)  What I would do, is purchase the same exact type of cable you would as an inline control.  Meaning, if you purchase a Silver Litz cable, have Ted (or whomever) make you a Silver Litz inline control accessory/adapter.  If you go with a copper cable, have Chris_Himself (or whomever) make the same exact copper cable, but as an inline control accessory/adapter.  

Hopefully this helps, and if not, sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. 
regular_smile .gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #6,471 of 22,960
Finally I have found a Temporary use for my "Boxed" SE535CL. - Like an obsolete Cylon they have been boxed and in stasis since the day the 8s penetrated my brain.

Despite not ever using them I could not bring myself to sell them - You never know when they might be called into active duty. The 8s might have to go back to the mothership for repair. Not likely But if I don't have a back up I will need one (borderline magical thinking)......

Or a Black Swan Event.

Anyhow back to the point. In this case a Black Swan event. A good friend has to go in for some treatments for the next little while which involve long boring hours in hospital and then tired "feh" hours at home afterward.

Nothing to do but read and listen to music on an iPhone... on Apple earbuds.

Earbuds!! As if being sick isn't bad enough, the brain should not also be assaulted The 5s will stand in and breathe life into their music and perhaps a little lightness to the soul as only music unbound can

Hopefully,. while that is no cure, the 5s shall prove to be an able enhancement to the distraction process and bring a level of sonic tonic to sooth the soul.

Moral of the story Never sell your old stuff unless you have to. You never know when it will be needed for uses you have not yet imagined.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #6,472 of 22,960
Your a good friend. Having sat in that damn chair myself being able to pour yourself into the music helps a lot. It's one of the reasons I became interested in high quality IEMs. (The other being that I can't wear full size headphones). You block out the exterior sounds and relax, at least as much as you can.

I assume your friend is going for infusions. If so tell them to bring a light blanket and a small pillow. Often the rooms are cold, and the infusion chairs can be uncomfortable. They can also lack lumbar support. A sleeping mask isn't out of the ordinary. Bring snacks (hopefully they don't get nauseous from this) and water. It's amazing how thirsty you can get while having a liter of saline dumped into your bloodstream.

Lastly, tell them to trust their treating nurse. The nurse will know much better than a doctor what effect the treatment will have during and after the fact.

Tell 'em good luck, be strong, and when you get down force yourself to look to the horizon. The conclusion of what they face is always closer than it seems.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #6,473 of 22,960

Hmm...okay, after checking the Chris_Himself website he does indeed sell the Type II Litz Copper cable.  I don't have the Chris_Himself cable, but I have a HL Silver Litz cable, and I'll test it right now and I'll edit this post to let you know how it sounds with the inline control.

Edit: The stock Shure inline control (tested with the HL Silver Litz) does not sound very good at all with my iPhone, as the presentation is muffled and slightly artificial with the inline control.  Using the Type II Litz Copper cable may or may not present better results - but my guess is that it would not sound that great, especially since the wiring used does not match the connecting earphone cable being used (silver, copper, etc.)  What I would do, is purchase the same exact type of cable you would as an inline control.  Meaning, if you purchase a Silver Litz cable, have Ted (or whomever) make you a Silver Litz inline control accessory/adapter.  If you go with a copper cable, have Chris_Himself (or whomever) make the same exact copper cable, but as an inline control accessory/adapter.  

Hopefully this helps, and if not, sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. 
regular_smile%20.gif

Chris_himself was a middleman for Ted (HPL), Ted made all the cables while Chris dealt with the customers. Not sure where Chris gets his cables from now, but his new company is also called HPL...

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #6,474 of 22,960

Chris_himself was a middleman for Ted (HPL), Ted made all the cables while Chris dealt with the customers. Not sure where Chris gets his cables from now, but his new company is also called HPL...

Yes I know the story.  I just didn't want to bring it up publicly/again or anything like that. 
regular_smile .gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #6,477 of 22,960
White filters back in - volume capped at 45-50%.

Let's see how we go.

I couldnot bring myself to try the unmodded blacks.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #6,478 of 22,960
I'm not familiar with the story, but I'm assuming people prefer to deal with Ted.

No great story to tell. Ted and Chris decided in the spring of 2013 to no longer work together.

Chris now uses the name of HPL Audio and to my knowledge still does not actually make his cables as Ted did when they were together.

Ted Allen uses the name Headphone Lounge and continues his tradition of making great cables at reasonable prices.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #6,479 of 22,960
Haven't posted in awhile (other priorities in life) but finally had an opportunity to upgrade. My shure 530's cable finally worn out and used this excuse to upgrade. I looked at comparables in this price range but I really enjoyed the Shure sound signature. While the initial price tag is high but boy is it worth it. I have never listened to music this good, highs, mids, lows, detail blows the 530 out of the water. I felt the blue filters offered a similar sound signature to the 530 with added bass- my initial impression was underwhelming. After swapping out to the whites, these came alive!

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #6,480 of 22,960
Congrats on your purchase, BST07! It's good to know there is another fellow SE530 owner here (even though your cable wore out). Enjoy your new awesome IEM, you made a wise choice. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back