Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #6,241 of 22,945
yes I've read this whole 400 pages before I bought the 846 .. but I just can't seen to find or recall anyone posting clear instructions.
I will try this mod for sure.

Well, now you have clear and concise instructions.
regular_smile .gif

Hopefully you like it, and if you don't, that's okay as well.

Good luck!
beerchug.gif
 (root beer in my glass)

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #6,242 of 22,945

Yeah, I had the HDX (self-healing) version on my iPhone 5, but it wasn't super smooth to the touch.  I am somewhat a perfectionist as well (oxymoron).  I saw a typo in my last post you quoted me - stuff like that irks me.  Moving to the tempered glass is definitely nice as it keeps very similar qualities to the OEM glass.

Nah, we didn't miss much at all.  I have read that people who purchased the Plus without testing it out first had problems trying to exchange it for a 6.  So one guy ran a Craigslist ad saying he would trade his Plus for a 6, plus a little bit of money, and he was able to do the trade/exchange that way.

Yeah, we didn't miss much at all regarding the camera or going with the 4.7" option.

No worries regarding the link, happy to help when I can.  Remember, test/perform the memory wire removal on the stock Shure length you do not normally use first, so in the unlikely event you mess up, you wouldn't have messed up your better stock length that you use the most.

If you wind up not liking the black filters, try modding them.  You may like the results.
bigsmile_face.gif

Just removed the memory wire successfully, thanks for your help :). Everything went smoothly (it was pulling the metal wire out with pliers that scared me the most, but having seen that you've done it gave me the confidence to finally go for it). Lol, my last set, my stock 535LTD cable went untouched because of the stupid memory wire. 

I haven't gotten a chance to try the black filters yet, hopefully will over the next couple days. If i end up hating them, will definitely try your mod! haha. Right now still flip-flopping back and forth between the blue and white filters

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #6,243 of 22,945

Just removed the memory wire successfully, thanks for your help :). Everything went smoothly (it was pulling the metal wire out with pliers that scared me the most, but having seen that you've done it gave me the confidence to finally go for it). Lol, my last set, my stock 535LTD cable went untouched because of the stupid memory wire. 

I haven't gotten a chance to try the black filters yet, hopefully will over the next couple days. If i end up hating them, will definitely try your mod! haha. Right now still flip-flopping back and forth between the blue and white filters

Beautiful!  The wire can be a bugger, but with a little finagling, will come out without any problems.  It was using the razor to carefully cut the sheath that gave me the most anxiety.  I'm glad to read it worked out for you.  Enjoy your increased comfort. 

Have fun changing the filters!  Even if you don't hate the black filters, you can do the mod, and you can re-insert the foam dampers if you like.  Just make sure to not have wet/damp hands and your fingers are clean - maybe use medical gloves so the least dust/dander will get on/inside the foam dampers if you decide to insert them back into the filters.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #6,245 of 22,945
  Thanks for the tip! Will report back in a few days if i decide to try it :)

Happy to help, jay19.  Looking forward to reading your impressions regarding the modded black filters - positive impressions, of course!
wink_face.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #6,246 of 22,945
Just a silly question.  I just got my SEs and liked them straight out of the box.  I might try the Westone tips at some time soon but for now, the tips on them seem fine for sound and almost fine for sealing.  But, I was wondering which filters are pre-installed on them?  Bare in mind a severe visual problem, so I'm not sure.
Thanks.
Oh yes, I'm trying a mod of those silver lidz as I believe strongly in changing cables, thanks to your review Moedawg.  Thanks for your time.
Kevin

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #6,247 of 22,945
  Just a silly question.  I just got my SEs and liked them straight out of the box.  I might try the Westone tips at some time soon but for now, the tips on them seem fine for sound and almost fine for sealing.  But, I was wondering which filters are pre-installed on them?  Bare in mind a severe visual problem, so I'm not sure.
Thanks.
Oh yes, I'm trying a mod of those silver lidz as I believe strongly in changing cables, thanks to your review Moedawg.  Thanks for your time.
Kevin

The 8s come with the blue filters installed - the neutral option

I received a silver litz cable from Ted Allen this week and it's really nice. It's only a subtle upgrade in SQ from the stock cable, but it's there. Ergonomics are fine with either cable (i.e. stock or litz) for my preferences, but the SQ of the litz is a small plus. Strangely, when I use a certain op amp / buffer combo in my E12DIY with the 8s + stock cable it is dead silent, but just changing the cable brings all kinds of noise out!? Other op amps and buffers are fine, but for some reason upgraded cables (all different ones) cause issues with my favourite amp setup.
confused.gif

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #6,249 of 22,945
Thanks.
Kevin

Thanks, happy to help, Kevin.  Hope you enjoy the technically sound upgrade of the Silver Litz if you do purchase it (not totally sure if you did based on your wording).  Too bad I don't make any money for recommending the Silver Litz, SCS and every other product I've loved, lol.

Regarding the filters, Loquah and Roscoeiii are correct - unless you purchased the SE846 used, in that case, it will be the color filters the previous owner installed.

The 8s come with the blue filters installed - the neutral option

I received a silver litz cable from Ted Allen this week and it's really nice. It's only a subtle upgrade in SQ from the stock cable, but it's there. Ergonomics are fine with either cable (i.e. stock or litz) for my preferences, but the SQ of the litz is a small plus. Strangely, when I use a certain op amp / buffer combo in my E12DIY with the 8s + stock cable it is dead silent, but just changing the cable brings all kinds of noise out!? Other op amps and buffers are fine, but for some reason upgraded cables (all different ones) cause issues with my favourite amp setup.
confused.gif

Not sure about your specific setup, but when I used the Silver Litz with dozens of DAPs/amps at the L.A. Head-Fi meet, there was no difference with background noise compared with the stock Shure cable.  This is the first I've read of your situation pertaining to the Silver Litz.  However, you saying that all kinds of upgraded cables cause issues with your favorite amp setup tells me that your setup may just be very sensitive to anything other than the most optimal requirements regarding cable impedance. 

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #6,250 of 22,945

Not sure about your specific setup, but when I used the Silver Litz with dozens of DAPs/amps at the L.A. Head-Fi meet, there was no difference with background noise compared with the stock Shure cable.  This is the first I've read of your situation pertaining to the Silver Litz.  However, you saying that all kinds of upgraded cables cause issues with your favorite amp setup tells me that your setup may just be very sensitive to anything other than the most optimal requirements regarding cable impedance. 

Yes - I think that's the issue. It happened with a Toxic silver / copper hybrid and a Norne copper / SPC hybrid too so it's just something about the lower impedance / higher sensitivity of these cables compared to the stock one. Interestingly the cable on the $100 Brainwavz S5 cause the same issues.

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #6,251 of 22,945
LOL.  Sorry, just had to laugh because this is like the umpteenth time you asked - and I remember a member requesting/asking you to check the thread, as this (modding filters) have been discussed extensively.  Anyways, you just take out/remove the foam dampers out of the black filters.  That's it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....:grin: ahhhhhhw mannnn....:disappointed:

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #6,252 of 22,945
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....:grin: ahhhhhhw mannnn....:disappointed:

Sometimes direct instruction is the only way to get a point across, you know. In this case, super direct. Don't take it personally. I'm just glad I put that question to rest - until the next person asks, of course. :bigsmile_face:

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #6,253 of 22,945
Got my SCS from Sensaphonics yesterday. Wow. I did not expect this level of improvement. I thought I was getting a good seal already with Star tips. But damn, the impact and intimidate with these silicon shells is superb. Highly recommended. If the litz cable improvement is subtle as some have said, then I'd look into silicon shells first.

Hopefully I will be able to try out a silver litz cable at RMAF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back