Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #5,626 of 22,945
Yeah, I mainly say it may be placebo so I'm not liable for anyone thinking other than what I think when or if they try the mod themselves, haha...even though anyone is free to think however they want.

I was going to say you were one of the members on here that like the black modded filters, but I knew you'd be around to talk about the lovely mod.

The IE800 were nice, but I knew almost immediately that the bass just wasn't up to snuff compared to the SE846. Quadrupled with my Silver Litz, modded black filters and SCS, the IE800 had no chance but to be set down on the Sennheiser table as I told the Sennheiser reps, "thanks for letting me use them" and then walking away smiling with joy as I put my SE846 back in my ears. Ahh...bliss.

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #5,628 of 22,945
Yeah, I mainly say it may be placebo so I'm not liable for anyone thinking other than what I think when or if they try the mod themselves, haha...even though anyone is free to think however they want.

I was going to say you were one of the members on here that like the black modded filters, but I knew you'd be around to talk about the lovely mod.

The IE800 were nice, but I knew almost immediately that the bass just wasn't up to snuff compared to the SE846. Quadrupled with my Silver Litz, modded black filters and SCS, the IE800 had no chance but to be set down on the Sennheiser table as I told the Sennheiser reps, "thanks for letting me use them" and then walking away smiling with joy as I put my SE846 back in my ears. Ahh...bliss.
Problem with ie800 is they couldn't stay put in my ears which is a major design issue (either with the iem or with my ear!)

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #5,629 of 22,945
Black mod filters ...clearer sound not as bright as white for some reason...better bass response...but at the same time livelier than the stock blue...Black mod...:blush:

You're all tempting me to try the black mod again... please apologise to my poor 8s for making me dismantle them AGAIN!!
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #5,632 of 22,945
  after playing with all the filters and tips for over a week, I have reverted to how it came in the box ... blue filter with medium olives. Man these olives just give that bass I've always wanted .. the kick drums that vibrate in your head! but keeping all the mids and everything else still clear and separate. Amazing :) Non of the silicons or the westone star tips give me that deep bass. 
I never like any comply foams that came with any of my iems ... they always seem to cover up everything in thick bass and muddy up the whole range but these olives are really nice ... great seal always and I find them very comfortable. These are the most isolating iems I have had and I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not but it blocks out everything including the screaming kids while I work from home.

Since we both have the 846's and H3's do you find the bass on your 846's to be stronger or more prominent than H3's? I don't at all and I've tried them with lots of tips, including olives. I'm not looking for maximum bass - I find the Shure's base to be more accurate but I get more of that "vibration" with the H3's . What's your opinion?

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #5,634 of 22,945
Problem with ie800 is they couldn't stay put in my ears which is a major design issue (either with the iem or with my ear!)

Oh, I feel your pain...they stayed in my ear but I knew that if I tried to do anything remotely workout-based like weights or a jog, that those puppies would pop right out! I tried pushing the IEMs as far as I could manually so I could have the deepest fit that I could manage to at least have some type of isolation. Letting go meant the seal did not reach anywhere near the 2nd bend of the ear canal - no good.

Black mod filters ...clearer sound not as bright as white for some reason...better bass response...but at the same time livelier than the stock blue...Black mod...:blush:

Yeah, that sounds about right...*big grin*

You're all tempting me to try the black mod again... please apologise to my poor 8s for making me dismantle them AGAIN!! :wink:

The 8s can take probably thousands of filter changes due to the stainless steel collar and nozzle...very strong they are.

Yessss sir ....just something about the black mod that does it :wink:.....haaa haaaa just makes the music so velvety smooth :relieved:

Velvety smooth describes it as well. Hitting the sound signature on the head, dsincere!

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #5,635 of 22,945
How do the modded blues compare to the modded blacks? Fascinating hearing these tips, thanks for the impressions.

Truthfully, I personally haven't tried. I am still appalled by the exorbitant price Shure charges for filters, so I feel it would be sacrilegious to mod the blues that I purchased (even though I purchased 2 pairs). *Shaking my head with a smirk* Maybe one day I'll check. With that said, if you check this thread there was a person that tried everything out and gave his impressions of each (I don't recollect him trying filter-less though). I know that @spook76 currently goes commando, or how he refers to it: Afterburners™ (filter-less). You can read up on his posts regarding his impressions on how he loves them compared to using filters.

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #5,636 of 22,945
Thanks for all the impressions guys. Its sure given me lots to think about and I will definitely spend some time swapping out filters. If I decide to go ahead with the filter mods, is it reversible? Or would I need to purchase a new filter from Shure if for any reason I'd want to go back to stock? And a number of you have mentioned Shure charging crazy high prices on them.... may I ask, how high?

Just a thought that crossed my mind. Do you guys think one day there'd be an aftermarket selection of filters for the 8's? Similar to how there are so many aftermarket cable options?

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #5,637 of 22,945
Thanks for all the impressions guys. Its sure given me lots to think about and I will definitely spend some time swapping out filters. If I decide to go ahead with the filter mods, is it reversible? Or would I need to purchase a new filter from Shure if for any reason I'd want to go back to stock? And a number of you have mentioned Shure charging crazy high prices on them.... may I ask, how high?

Just a thought that crossed my mind. Do you guys think one day there'd be an aftermarket selection of filters for the 8's? Similar to how there are so many aftermarket cable options?

It is reversible, just make sure to keep the foam damper in a safe spot, maybe in a small dipping sauce bowl or in a plastic bag that's marked: "Shure foam for blue filter inside", etc.  If you do put the foam dampers back in, make sure to not push them in too far in the filter insert.

$17, plus shipping per pair.

As for aftermarket selection of filters for the SE846...I'm not sure.  I may not have this right, but my BS in Marketing (no, for real!) thinking is that Shure does not publish/sell the filters online because that would give other companies a way to create an alternate set of filters, and reduce the price as well.  Keeping the filters under wraps, so to speak, is their way to currently own the filter market, if there are enough people to want a different set of filters to warrant calling it a market.

As for aftermarket cable options, the MMCX connector regarding cables works with various Shures, Westones, etc., whereas the filters are currently for a couple of IEMs on the market.  There have also been cable makers for quite a while now, and cables as a whole are discussed, reviewed and purchased times moreover than filters.  I wouldn't be surprised if Shure hasn't sold more than a couple hundred extra sets of filters total.  With the current Shure filters, I'm not sure what Shure or any other company could do to make it brighter/clearer frequency-wise.  As for lowering the frequency response 1kHz - 8kHz, you can just take the foam dampers out of the blues and put them in the blacks, or vice versa.  If you do this to the blues, I would call them: Midnight Blue™.  If you do this to the blacks, I would call them: Pitch Black™. 
cool.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #5,638 of 22,945
  I found that symptom to be very strange.  IMO and experience, it's the other way around with mp3 vs lossless.  Out of the new Beats, I found the Solo 2 to be quite good for the $.  I tried it from my X5.  I wouldn't have a problem living with the Solo 2 if I only have $200 to spend.  But then, I migh as well just stay with my Sony mdr-v6 or the ath-m50 in that budget.

I was talking about the Beats Pro Detox , by the way I auditioned the Beat Mixr it's even better than the new studio, I suppose that the Solo 2 acts differently with a dedicated dap ??! The most premium HP is not always the best
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #5,639 of 22,945
Received mine this afternoon. Definitely love the packaging, very nicely done. I took a quick listen, very nice. Very, very comfortable. Most of any IEM I own. Build quality seems to be the best, they feel extremely sturdy. Fit is perfect too. Foam tips that came installed, sound horrendous. I immediately changed to the silicone ones, big difference. I have Westone start tips I'm going to try shortly. I don't have my Ref1 back yet for a head to head. I also won't have much time to listen today unfortunately.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #5,640 of 22,945
As for aftermarket selection of filters for the SE846...I'm not sure.  I may not have this right, but my BS in Marketing (no, for real!) thinking is that Shure does not publish/sell the filters online because that would give other companies a way to create an alternate set of filters, and reduce the price as well.  Keeping the filters under wraps, so to speak, is their way to currently own the filter market, if there are enough people to want a different set of filters to warrant calling it a market.

Why not. Shure are exercising their prerogative to control the sound and their product. There is EQ and then there is EQ. The marketing says this is Shure's statement IEM. Of course they have a vested interest in managing the consumer experience.

That right there is the beauty of the internet. Every story has two-sides or perspectives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back