Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #5,611 of 22,945
  I've been on my 846 non-stop for the last 2 week and absolutely love them.

For me, if we're talking about a poor man's replacement for the 846, I would say for $127, the Audio Technica ATH-IM70 comes so so close to the 846. To my ears, the tone or sound signature is really similar. I think AT has done such a great job with these. Both of these have the intimate more closed in mid focused sound with excellent bass. Clarity on both a amazing.

I also found that a great alternative to the IE800 is the Sony H3 for a fraction of the price ... both are just so similar in sound. These have the more airy, wide soundstage sort of sound, both slightly U shape sound. I'm feeling the IE800 vocals are just slightly more recessed than the H3. For price performance ratio and comfort, definitely I would go for the H3 if I had to choose. Now thinking of selling off the IE800.

For now the 846 is my ultimate ... can't fault them at all. They're so customisable ... if I want it more bright, stick in the white, if I want to relax and have it in my ears for hours, the blue is so smooth and non-fatiqing. But the IM70 will always be the one for the gym ... they're so sturdy, fits perfect, no cable noise what so ever and don't mind getting sweat on them. I'm always thinking what will happen to the 846 shell in 5 years time ... hope it doesn't go all matte and yellowy.

Nice observations and comparisons, joey99.  I demoed the IE800, and my thoughts regarding them are similar to yours: airy, wide soundstage, etc.  Hmm...if you are in the market for a great DAP/amp, you can sell the IE800 and put that towards the ultimate in portable: the Hugo.  
normal_smile .gif

Now I know some people shun away from using the SE846 for the gym/working out, and with sizes-fit-all tips it can be a challenge.  If silicones fit you perfectly, you won't have too many issues (especially if you use the white filter).  The foams...once they get wet, sayonara to a 'perfect' seal.  With the SCS, you have absolutely no issues with sweat or condensation even reaching the tip of the bore near the 2nd bend of the ear canal because of the slight vacuum seal the SCS creates whilst inserting the sleeves.

Here's me after a 4 mile run (the sweat did not get past the concha, insicura or ear canal):

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #5,612 of 22,945
thanks for the ideas! 
Would love to try those sleeves one day .. and of course I wouldn't mind the Hugo. 
For now ... pretty happy.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #5,613 of 22,945
  thanks for the ideas! 
Would love to try those sleeves one day .. and of course I wouldn't mind the Hugo. 
For now ... pretty happy.

No worries, joey99.  Enjoy your SE846's. 
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #5,615 of 22,945

Thanks for pulling that up! 

Most definitely!  SomeGuyDude's post described the bass ardently, and I agree wholeheartedly.  Took me a while to find it though...
redface.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #5,616 of 22,945
I can't wait to receive mine and experience it for myself! If I understand correctly how SomeGuyDude explained the sound/presence of the bass I think I will really enjoy the sound.  Probably looking at 2 weeks though since their on backorder. Currently using my TF10 which surprisingly sounds better than I remembered!

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #5,618 of 22,945
  Btw sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do you guys mean by the black filter mod?

The black filter mod is when you pull out the foam damper out of the black filters.  You can do this to the blue filter as well, but not the white because it does not have a foam damper inside.  The ones who have done it have reported slightly different sound signature compared to the white filters, even though it may very well be placebo.  I took out the foam dampers out of the filters I disliked the most, so the blacks were the one to be modded.  I enjoy the sound so much that after a few A/Bs with the blue and white filters, I never wanted nor had the need to make any more filter changes as the modded blacks have stayed in the SE846's nozzles for months.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #5,619 of 22,945

Thanks for the explanation! Hmm... thats quite interesting given all I've read about how much filters can change the sound signature (ie. Shure SE535-J same as regular 535 but with a diff filter). If you don't mind me asking, how would you say the black mods sound as compared to the stock whites? Reason I ask is based on all I read, i was so sure that the white filters would be the one I'd be sticking to, but it seems like you and a few others have liked the black mods better

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #5,620 of 22,945

Thanks for the explanation! Hmm... thats quite interesting given all I've read about how much filters can change the sound signature (ie. Shure SE535-J same as regular 535 but with a diff filter). If you don't mind me asking, how would you say the black mods sound as compared to the stock whites? Reason I ask is based on all I read, i was so sure that the white filters would be the one I'd be sticking to, but it seems like you and a few others have liked the black mods better

I personally prefer the whites to either of the other two without their foam, but we're all different and have different sources. I'm finding that I like all three of the stock (unmodded) filters for different reasons

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #5,621 of 22,945

This may all be placebo, so please don't quote me, but after doing an A/B with the whites and modded blacks (haven't done that in months) the modded blacks seem to be slightly clearer, slightly more resolving in my opinion. I still love it. If the baffles of the blue filters are any different than the black baffles, then that may change the sound signature slightly as well.

I personally prefer the whites to either of the other two without their foam, but we're all different and have different sources. I'm finding that I like all three of the stock (unmodded) filters for different reasons

That's great, Loquah. Regardless of the source(s) used, what precisely makes the SE846 so great is that what might be great for me may not be so great for you, and you can swap filters (and mod them if you so choose) to find out what sound signature you want to change to on the fly for a specific genre or mood that day, or pick one and stick with it.

With that said, jay19, once you receive your SE846, you will just have to go through some filter swaps to find out the color filter (or various filters, modded or without) to find out what sounds best to your ears.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #5,622 of 22,945
This may all be placebo, so please don't quote me, but after doing an A/B with the whites and modded blacks (haven't done that in months) the modded blacks seem to be slightly clearer, slightly more resolving in my opinion. I still love it. If the baffles of the blue filters are any different than the black baffles, then that may change the sound signature slightly as well.

I think that's a real effect you're hearing because the modded blacks sound brighter than the whites to my ears and I had no expectation going in (i.e. didn't know if it would be brighter / warmer or same) so should be no expectation bias

That's great, Loquah. Regardless of the sources used, what precisely what makes the SE846 so great is that what might be great for me may not be so great for you, and you can swap filters (and mod them if you so choose) to find out what sound signature you want to change to on the fly for a specific genre or mood that day, or pick one and stick with it.

With that said, jay19, once you receive your SE846, you will just have to go through some filter swaps to find out the color filter (or various filters, modded or without) to find out what sounds best to your ears.

Agree! I still haven't settled on my favourite filters, but seem to keep coming back to white - I'm hoping to finally settle once I get my new cables from Ted soon

Yes, jay19, moedawg is right that the best option is lots of playing and trial and error - it's fun to hear the many faces of the 8s!

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #5,623 of 22,945
after playing with all the filters and tips for over a week, I have reverted to how it came in the box ... blue filter with medium olives. Man these olives just give that bass I've always wanted .. the kick drums that vibrate in your head! but keeping all the mids and everything else still clear and separate. Amazing :) Non of the silicons or the westone star tips give me that deep bass. 
I never like any comply foams that came with any of my iems ... they always seem to cover up everything in thick bass and muddy up the whole range but these olives are really nice ... great seal always and I find them very comfortable. These are the most isolating iems I have had and I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not but it blocks out everything including the screaming kids while I work from home.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #5,624 of 22,945
I think that's a real effect you're hearing because the modded blacks sound brighter than the whites to my ears and I had no expectation going in (i.e. didn't know if it would be brighter / warmer or same) so should be no expectation bias

Agree! I still haven't settled on my favourite filters, but seem to keep coming back to white - I'm hoping to finally settle once I get my new cables from Ted soon

Yes, jay19, moedawg is right that the best option is lots of playing and trial and error - it's fun to hear the many faces of the 8s!

Yeah, I tried not to have any bias as well, but it isn't like I can change the filters like I can do an immediate A/B swap of my 3.5mm plug into say an AK120 II and an AK240 side by side at a meet and compare both sound signatures on the fly. It takes me probably 2 minutes total to swap filters, which isn't too long of time, but enough to possibly slightly skew my perceptions/observations of very small nuances regarding sonic signature between filters (especially when they both are damper-less).

I'm not sure if I would call it 'sounding brighter', more like clearer/resolving. Mind you, I am using the SCS, so I'm sure what I'm experiencing regarding slight differences are magnified because of the utmost isolation the sleeves embody. If you use sizes-fit-all tips that do not go to the second bend of your ear canal or do not have a custom fit like seal, your mileage may vary from what I'm experiencing.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #5,625 of 22,945
Loquah and joey99's experiences show just how subjective the listening experience is from individual to individual.

Placebo can never be discounted, however there is no doubt in my mind that there is a difference between the black mod and the white; albeit a difference that is as subtle as two IPAs by the same brewer.

I myself love the black mod because of its similarity to the white, however it is far less fatiguing than the white. The sound may be slightly veiled, however up until this point it never ceases to blow me away. I
May go back to the white shortly after my 8s are returned from Shure's labs, but not before a week or so. Impressions have a want to change over time and under certain conditions.

As for comparisons with the IE800, the 846 leave them for dead. There is simply no contest. I should know; I was a seldom-happy owner of the IE800s for five months, before being given the totally unexpected opportunity to trade due to only a partially faulty unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back