Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #5,566 of 22,945
I noticed no discernable drop in bass between the whites and modded blacks.

I didn't either, but remember that both the whites and modded blacks do not have the foam damper in them, so all that is left inside each filter is a minuscule baffle that is so small that it would more than likely be impossible to distinguish different bass signatures between the two.

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #5,567 of 22,945

I didn't either, but remember that both the whites and modded blacks do not have the foam damper in them, so all that is left inside each filter is a minuscule baffle that is so small that it would more than likely be impossible to distinguish different bass signatures between the two.

When I put the black filters I instantly felt that there's less bass, maybe there is something wrong with my ear but I guess have to try couple of times.

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #5,569 of 22,945
The fact you have modified the filter is maybe a clue??

Yes. Removing the foam raises the treble which will reduce the relative perception of bass. I can't remember exactly how the modified black behaves compared to the white, but it's possible that the treble is stronger on modded black than stock white.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #5,571 of 22,945
Ok, I took the plunge. Hopefully I don't regret it. I should have mine by Tuesday... and I can share some impressions vs my Ref1.

Congrats! Hopefully you won't regret it, especially after you swap filters to find the sound signature you enjoy the most. Make sure to use the tips that will give you the deepest insertion with a tight fit so isolation will be at its finest.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #5,572 of 22,945
Yes, will do. I almost sold my Ref 1 due to not having the correct tips... Any special suggestions for burn in, or does it not matter?

For my setup, I'll be using X3 unamped, zx1 with intruder, and RWAK120B with the Intruder. Really excited about hearing them with the Rwak120b. Next week will be a fun week, get my Ref1 back, my Rwak120b should be here, and now the 8's...ill be in audio heaven!!

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #5,573 of 22,945
Yes, will do. I almost sold my Ref 1 due to not having the correct tips... Any special suggestions for burn in, or does it not matter?

For my setup, I'll be using X3 unamped, zx1 with intruder, and RWAK120B with the Intruder. Really excited about hearing them with the Rwak120b. Next week will be a fun week, get my Ref1 back, my Rwak120b should be here, and now the 8's...ill be in audio heaven!!

Depending on who you ask, there has been debate in this very thread regarding burn-in with the SE846, but the overall consensus is that burn-in won't really (if at all) change the sound, which has been concurred by Shure themselves. You will notice a change in sound signature by swapping filters or modding them infinitely more than anything burn-in would or would not do regarding the SE846.

If you have any issues with sizes-fit-all tips that came with the Shure, you should purchase the Westone 'sample platter' that has 5 different sizes of Star-Tips (silicone) and 5 different sizes of True-Fit (foam) to give you great chances to find out what is best for you. If all else fails and you LOVE the SE846: SCS...

Sounds like you have a great setup already, so I'm sure you've set yourself up for success, no matter what. Sweet.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #5,574 of 22,945
Depending on who you ask, there has been debate in this very thread regarding burn-in with the SE846, but the overall consensus is that burn-in won't really (if at all) change the sound, which has been concurred by Shure themselves. You will notice a change in sound signature by swapping filters or modding them infinitely more than anything burn-in would or would not do regarding the SE846.

Sounds like you have a great setup already, so I'm sure you've set yourself up for success, no matter what. Sweet.

Most importantly get your ears burn in LOL~~

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #5,576 of 22,945
  Most importantly get your ears burn in LOL~~

This is very true.  When most people first hear the white filters, they think they are too bright, too overwhelming treble-wise, etc. but if they listened to it for a while, more than likely the brain will learn to accept it and it will not sound as "harsh".  Conditioning the mind/ears to accept the frequencies of the white filters.  That's why whenever I go back to blues or blacks (before I modded the blacks) it felt like a veil was automatically placed on the sound signature.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #5,578 of 22,945
@moedawg140-Ok, cool. Thanks bro. I'm still new to this hobby, learning as I go. So many different opinions on everything.

No worries at all, warrior1975.  There are lots of opinions regarding everything in this world.  That's when we have to consider the source, and then find out if it is such on our own if we are able to.  But there are sometimes, when you just have to have faith. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #5,579 of 22,945
Warrior,

Do you have balanced cables terminated with the Shure MMCX connector? You have a great balanced amp so I hope or assume you take advantage of the balanced output.

Not yet, I just ordered the 8's this morning. I do have balanced and most definitely prefer it for my other setups. I am fairly confident that I will like the 8's, so I was going to start researching balanced cables for them as well. Any suggestions Spook?

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #5,580 of 22,945
Warrior,

Do you have balanced cables terminated with the Shure MMCX connector? You have a great balanced amp so I hope or assume you take advantage of the balanced output.

Not yet, I just ordered the 8's this morning. I do have balanced and most definitely prefer it for my other setups. I am fairly confident that I will like the 8's, so I was going to start researching balanced cables for them as well. Any suggestions Spook?

No question, Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge. Ted's Reference OCC silver litz is a little over $200. Great build quality and fast delivery time. The sound improvement gives greater clarity and punch across the spectrum. You can take a look at his thread here at Head-Fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/695297/the-new-headphone-lounge-thread/260_20#post_10801920

Users who are viewing this thread

Back