Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #5,536 of 22,945
I'm sure you'll get lots of technical responses but having heard the 535's and quite a few other higher end iem's my advice would be to forget about response graphs and actually listen to them. Then decide. The 846's definitely deal with bass differently than any other iem I have ever heard. It has a different quality and a different place in the mix so it doesn't overpower the way some bass heavy iem's do

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #5,537 of 22,945
I have SE535s and really like them. I really want to give Shure the benefit of the doubt and buy the 846, but the response graphs show an enormous bass boost, and the filters don't really drop the bass but boost the top side of the treble, creating a scooped rather than flat response. The white filter still leaves a 10db bass boost (twice as loud as it should be?). I was SO excited about these before they were released but am so bummed out now.

well we all have our own preferences. I didn't really like the se535 for the price but i loved the se846s. There's nothing wrong with having bass here and there, and there's really no standard to how much bass an IEM should have so you can't really say "twice". Some people might find it too much at first, but you'll get used to it. Remember, it's good bass, not beats bass!

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #5,538 of 22,945
  I have SE535s and really like them. I really want to give Shure the benefit of the doubt and buy the 846, but the response graphs show an enormous bass boost, and the filters don't really drop the bass but boost the top side of the treble, creating a scooped rather than flat response. The white filter still leaves a 10db bass boost (twice as loud as it should be?). I was SO excited about these before they were released but am so bummed out now.

I originally came from the SE530 and the SE846 is just all around better.  The bass is one of the most quality based that I've heard in an IEM.  I would say ditch the graphs and go with your heart (and other's impressions on this thread).  You can also purchase the SE846 from a dealer that gives you the option for returns, so in the unlikely case you don't like them you can return it for a refund.  If you have the funds, I'd say go for it!

Quote:
I'm sure you'll get lots of technical responses but having heard the 535's and quite a few other higher end iem's my advice would be to forget about response graphs and actually listen to them. Then decide. The 846's definitely deal with bass differently than any other iem I have ever heard. It has a different quality and a different place in the mix so it doesn't overpower the way some bass heavy iem's do

I agree hockey_magnet.  Graphs only tell part of the story, the only part that can be measured with equipment.  There are nuances to audio that can not be quantified/objectified with graphs.  The bass is something to be heard, as you really do feel the quality and rumble of the bass (especially with the deep insertion and isolation of the SCS or to a lesser extent, a well fitting sizes-fit-all tip).

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #5,539 of 22,945
well we all have our own preferences. I didn't really like the se535 for the price but i loved the se846s. There's nothing wrong with having bass here and there, and there's really no standard to how much bass an IEM should have so you can't really say "twice". Some people might find it too much at first, but you'll get used to it. Remember, it's good bass, not beats bass!

Very true...the SE846's bass based on quality and quantity when the frequencies call for it, is excellent.  However, I think the Beats bass (especially the Solo 2) is just fine for its price point ($199).

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #5,540 of 22,945
@bobby12
let's stop with the perpetual bashing of Beats HPs.  Go try their new HPs such as the Solo 2.  The sound quality has been improved noticeably.  If Beats keeps on improving their products at this pace, we'll be surprised at how good their HPs could be.
If I remember correctly, there's a recent Solo 2 review on innerfidelity.  I pretty much concur with everything said in this review.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #5,541 of 22,945

Very true...the SE846's bass based on quality and quantity when the frequencies call for it, is excellent.  However, I think the Beats bass (especially the Solo 2) is just fine for its price point ($199).

dang it, you typed too fast. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #5,543 of 22,945
I tried the Beats Pro like a month ago. Not impressed, and for the price I'd never buy it.

Try the Beats Solo 2 at a local Apple or Target store, bobby12.  It may surprise you.  They sounded better than the Momentums I've tried in my opinion (which cost from $200 on...)  They are definitely getting praise in the Beats Solo 2 thread.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #5,544 of 22,945

dang it, you typed too fast. 
biggrin.gif

cool.gif
  Anyways, it's good to know another member likes the Solo 2 as well. 
beerchug.gif
 (root beer in my glass)

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5,545 of 22,945
Oh yes, had to buy my old SE535-J off eBay from a seller in Hong Kong as it was not sold in the US at the time.

As for a comparison, the 846 is not an improvement from 535-J because other than the sweet Shure midrange it is a totally different earphone. With the white or blue filters, the treble extends further and the bass is much deeper with a rumble equal to an excellent dynamic driver. In a sense, the 8s are like a hybrid with the loss pass filter.

I WOULD still love my 535s if my no good wife hadn't borrowed (stolen) them along with my single input silver cables. Yes, she appreciated the sound but the silver cables "look so pretty".

I had to buy my LTDs off an Asian reseller as well (i believe the LTD version now sold in North America doesnt have the "newly tuned acoustic network" of the Japan one right?)

Would you say you prefer the sound of 846 over the 535's? And LOL @ your wife's comments

Oh my yes. I still like the 535-J but the 846 is definitely better. Are there better earphones, I am sure, but cast aside your doubts the 846 is not just an upgraded 535 it is a revolutionary product not an evolutionary one.

In my humble opinion and taking into consideration the law of diminishing returns it is worth every penny of the $1000 US I paid. I honestly have never had a moment of buyer's remorse.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #5,546 of 22,945
Try the Beats Solo 2 at a local Apple or Target store, bobby12.  It may surprise you.  They sounded better than the Momentums I've tried in my opinion (which cost from $200 on...)  They are definitely getting praise in the Beats Solo 2 thread.

Don't stores usually use poor sources? The last time I tried some $200-300sony headphones(forgot which) on at best buy it sounded like I had cotton stuffed in my ear.

I'm not in the market for $200 headphones, but I'll check it out next time I go to target I guess.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #5,547 of 22,945
Don't stores usually use poor sources? The last time I tried some $200-300sony headphones(forgot which) on at best buy it sounded like I had cotton stuffed in my ear.

I'm not in the market for $200 headphones, but I'll check it out next time I go to target I guess.

I believe at the Apple store, you can use your own source.  So bring your rig if you have one and try it out!

I'm not in the market for over ear headphones as well, but I respect the evolutionary steps Beats are taking to increase the sonic quality of their headphones, as their new headphones sound better than previous generations.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #5,548 of 22,945

cool.gif
  Anyways, it's good to know another member likes the Solo 2 as well. 
beerchug.gif
 (root beer in my glass)

I have no choice but keeping up with Beats quality improvement cuz my son keeps asking for one.  I told him when I believe that the SQ is coming close to justify the price, I'll get him a pair so he can keep up with middle school fashion. 
tongue.gif

On a more serious note, the Solo2 did sound much better and honestly quite good for $200.  My X5 was source playing HD tracks.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #5,549 of 22,945
Oh my yes. I still like the 535-J but the 846 is definitely better. Are there better earphones, I am sure, but cast aside your doubts the 846 is not just an upgraded 535 it is a revolutionary product not an evolutionary one.

In my humble opinion and taking into consideration the law of diminishing returns it is worth every penny of the $1000 US I paid. I honestly have never had a moment of buyer's remorse.

Thanks for your response! I love the sound of my 535-J as well, but unfortunately had to sell it to fund the 846s. Was a bit scared that the bass of 846 would overwhelm the sweet midrange I had in the 535-J's. Much rather have sold the UE900 but resale value on those are nowhere cloes to that of the 535 lol.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #5,550 of 22,945
To my fellow SE846 owners and enthusiasts, today is my one year anniversary owning the 8s.

I remember on May 2, 2013 starting a thread called "New Shure IEM" after receiving an email from Shure the picture of which I posted below. http://www.head-fi.org/t/662201/new-shure-iem/0_20

It has been a great year owning a truly remarkable earphone and sharing my impressions here at Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back