Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #5,522 of 22,945

You mean the picture of you surrounded by the green haze? That's the one I was referring to 
bigsmile_face.gif
. I thought maybe you'd been kidnapped by your ape "friends" and a substitute had been planted in your place........

No that is me. As noted earlier it had been three weeks since I had buzzed my head. But you are not far off. The reason I took longer than my customary week to ten days to buzz my head was that I was deep inside Ape Territory with Meat Puppet Special Forces (Meat Team 8 - The Crazy 8s).  

The Crazy 8s are tasked with recon and hunting down the Elusive Caesar. ... His capture is Key to bringing down the Simian Threat.

This Heroic band of brothers, the crazy 8s,  act in the shadows going deep into the very heart of Darkness with the singular goal of Protecting and saving humanity from the Simian hoard for the benefit of our Digital and Ethereal father and Apex Predator  ...The Great unseen Eye in the Sky .. The A.I.

It is a different world in country and the rules, what few there are,  are different there. We travel light live off the land ... Eat what we kill. General Thade stripped of his legions (and his pulse ) was turned into a delicious Bush meat Stew. Let me tell you the team ate hardy that night . And the rest of him made for some great wall hanger trophies (The Inglorious Bastards got nothing on the Crazy 8s).

By the time I got back I was much in need of a haircut but what with debriefing and hanging my many Simian Trophies I didn't get to my hair for a few days after that.

Hence the discrepancy between the SCS Shots and the last one.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #5,523 of 22,945
I was playing with filters AGAIN tonight and found the black an enjoyable, smooth alternative to the white, particularly because its mids are more focussed than the blue filter.

I decided to compare Tyll's measurements of blue and black and the black looks to be more linear overall I think - with a bit more bass though.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #5,525 of 22,945
Hey guys, I just picked up the SE846, should arrive by mid September! Was able to get it thru a special arrangement for $800. In the past, I have owned the SE535LTD, UE900, UE Triple Fi 10, Shure SE210 and E2C. Also, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but while searching for the best price I came accross this for anyone looking to pick it up. Comes to $879 Canadian. Their out of stock at the moment like most places though. Free shipping in Canada

http://www.ncix.com/detail/shure-se846-cl-sound-isolating-earphones-72-96974-1465.htm

This may have been asked already, but how do they compare to the SE535 LTD-J? Should I expect only the bass to be improved, or the mids and highs as well? Again sorry if this has been asked, I didnt want to go thru 369 pages of this thread :p

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #5,528 of 22,945
Improves across the board.  Spook also had the 535LTD-J too.

Oh yes, had to buy my old SE535-J off eBay from a seller in Hong Kong as it was not sold in the US at the time.

As for a comparison, the 846 is not an improvement from 535-J because other than the sweet Shure midrange it is a totally different earphone. With the white or blue filters, the treble extends further and the bass is much deeper with a rumble equal to an excellent dynamic driver. In a sense, the 8s are like a hybrid with the loss pass filter.

I WOULD still love my 535s if my no good wife hadn't borrowed (stolen) them along with my single input silver cables. Yes, she appreciated the sound but the silver cables "look so pretty".

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #5,529 of 22,945
Hey guys, I just picked up the SE846, should arrive by mid September! Was able to get it thru a special arrangement for $800. In the past, I have owned the SE535LTD, UE900, UE Triple Fi 10, Shure SE210 and E2C. Also, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but while searching for the best price I came accross this for anyone looking to pick it up. Comes to $879 Canadian. Their out of stock at the moment like most places though. Free shipping in Canada

http://www.ncix.com/detail/shure-se846-cl-sound-isolating-earphones-72-96974-1465.htm

This may have been asked already, but how do they compare to the SE535 LTD-J? Should I expect only the bass to be improved, or the mids and highs as well? Again sorry if this has been asked, I didnt want to go thru 369 pages of this thread :p

Right now they're at $1099 at NCIX - I'm in Canada as well and sometimes NCIX has crazy deals - in the recent past, I think they had the Sennheiser ie800 for $499! but those prices never last longer than a day.

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #5,531 of 22,945
I was playing with filters AGAIN tonight and found the black an enjoyable, smooth alternative to the white, particularly because its mids are more focussed than the blue filter.

I decided to compare Tyll's measurements of blue and black and the black looks to be more linear overall I think - with a bit more bass though.

We all have different preferences, that's why the 846 is so great, you can tune it to your own preferences - Have to agree I prefer blacks as well - I do wish I had 3 sets so I could A-B them with different filters though
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #5,532 of 22,945
Oh yes, had to buy my old SE535-J off eBay from a seller in Hong Kong as it was not sold in the US at the time.

As for a comparison, the 846 is not an improvement from 535-J because other than the sweet Shure midrange it is a totally different earphone. With the white or blue filters, the treble extends further and the bass is much deeper with a rumble equal to an excellent dynamic driver. In a sense, the 8s are like a hybrid with the loss pass filter.

I WOULD still love my 535s if my no good wife hadn't borrowed (stolen) them along with my single input silver cables. Yes, she appreciated the sound but the silver cables "look so pretty".

I had to buy my LTDs off an Asian reseller as well (i believe the LTD version now sold in North America doesnt have the "newly tuned acoustic network" of the Japan one right?)

Would you say you prefer the sound of 846 over the 535's? And LOL @ your wife's comments

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #5,533 of 22,945
Yup! NCIX has some amazing deals. Last year around black friday I picked up the UE900's for $199!

In case anyones wondering I already checked with them, the price of SE846 is not likely to go any lower than it is now. Hope this info helps some people out who are looking to pick them up

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #5,535 of 22,945
I have SE535s and really like them. I really want to give Shure the benefit of the doubt and buy the 846, but the response graphs show an enormous bass boost, and the filters don't really drop the bass but boost the top side of the treble, creating a scooped rather than flat response. The white filter still leaves a 10db bass boost (twice as loud as it should be?). I was SO excited about these before they were released but am so bummed out now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back