Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #5,146 of 22,945

I knew y'all could do it!  
wink_face.gif

Teamwork! 

I remember all the fuss between the UE18 and JH13 at the time...

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #5,147 of 22,945
Interesting new graph of the JH Roxanne and the usual SE846

Is a treble roll off at 7k vs 10k and recessed mids the secret to the large sound stage and clarity on the Roxanne? If it is, no thank you.

That Roxanne graph seems a little off, that much of a valley and spike at the upper mids and treble is unusual. There's a better one posted in the Roxanne thread. 

The 846 graph agrees with my ears though. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #5,148 of 22,945
I had no idea Jerry Zharvey was at the helm of UE... Ya lesrn something every day.

My brother's first foray into IEMs was back in 07 with the UE ZTriple Fis; me the Atrio M5.

The Westone tips are not quite as comfy as the stock Shure olives (yet), but wow! The more I listen with them, the more I love them.

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #5,149 of 22,945

Teamwork! 

I remember all the fuss between the UE18 and JH13 at the time...

I think the UE 18 Pro is relevant, even today.  Once more IEM companies show up at the southern California meet-ups my mind may change regarding which IEM I think sounds great...but until then, the UE 18 Pro is pretty darn good.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #5,150 of 22,945

I think the UE 18 Pro is relevant, even today.  Once more IEM companies show up at the southern California meet-ups my mind may change regarding which IEM I think sounds great...but until then, the UE 18 Pro is pretty darn good.

There was a member who tried a K10, 846, Roxanne and UE18. He decided to go for the UE18. It's a very good IEM, but it's old and has lost its FOTM status around head-fi. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #5,153 of 22,945
There was a member who tried a K10, 846, Roxanne and UE18. He decided to go for the UE18. It's a very good IEM, but it's old and has lost its FOTM status around head-fi. 

Yep, I'm aware. I tried those and a lot more IEMs out (check my review on the LA Head-Fi Meet impressions thread).

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #5,154 of 22,945
I was of the assumption that the 18 Pro was intended for production rather than portable use?

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #5,155 of 22,945
I was of the assumption that the 18 Pro was intended for production rather than portable use?

I would say the UE UERM was a lot more reference-based. I thought the UE 18 Pro would be fine to take around IF I had to choose a CIEM based on what I heard at the meet and could not purchase the SE846 with SCS and a HL/Beat Audio silver cable.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #5,157 of 22,945
Most definitely, as I thought the UERM was way too flat sounding for my taste, with no bass (as I do love quality, deep bass). Glad there are all sorts of IEMs to cater to all sorts of preferences.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #5,158 of 22,945
Most definitely, as I thought the UERM was way too flat sounding for my taste, with no bass (as I do love quality, deep bass). Glad there are all sorts of IEMs to cater to all sorts of preferences.

Yeah, it is flat, and I thought because of it's flat response, the sound was clear and very clean(this of course depends on the how clean the source is but the demo provided the AK240 which is a very transparent source).  I sensed muddiness to the 18's sound.  Some people like the extra boosts to certain frequencies to liven things up.  I personally like to let the mastering output the way the sound was intended.  I prefer flat phones and transparent soureces.  There are phones that claim to be neutral, but they are not as they do not output the mastering with integrity.  The real transparent setup I've heard will output dynamics when it's there. The problem with this setup is not all music sounds exciting because it's transparent and it's outputting the mastering quality.  I have noticed this through AK240.  Initially I was not impressed with the player because some music didn't sound very good.  Certain type of pop music. Then I tried other genres, and I come to find out it's outputting the mastering quality.  The player doesn't seem to be colored like majority that are out there so that compressed music sounds decent, and everything else sound in that level. With a transparent setup, the distinction of the quality of the mastering is very obvious.  This requires lowest amount of color in the path as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back