Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #4,652 of 22,960
I just tried the volume controller, and it completely eliminates the popping sound my Galaxy S4 was making!!

I still do plan to get a better phone since the S4 doesn't have the greatest audio quality, and I don't want to have to carry around the volume controller, but it's nice that it will make my phone usable for now.

Any idea why this is? I don't know much about the tech specs of these gadgets.

The popping sound is likely the chip itself turning on and off. Try pausing your music and wait a few seconds, it should have a faint clicking sound of the dac turning off.

Getting a new phone won't help as they all do that. You're much off getting a low profile attenuator or somehow commission a cable with built in resistors.

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #4,653 of 22,960
The popping sound is likely the chip itself turning on and off. Try pausing your music and wait a few seconds, it should have a faint clicking sound of the dac turning off.

Getting a new phone won't help as they all do that. You're much off getting a low profile attenuator or somehow commission a cable with built in resistors.

No, that's not the correct diagnosis. I described the issue in detail a few pages back, but my SE535s don't do it on the S4, and I went to the at&t store and tried the HTC M8 and LG G3 with the Se846, and they both don't do it.

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #4,654 of 22,960
Decided I'd try a couple different sources with my 846s today. As I'm sitting here right now AB'ing between my iPhone 5s and my arcam a85 amp/alpha9 CD player, with my iPhone playing the same music ripped on to iTunes in Apple lossless..... The difference is more than apparent. The music sounds soooo much fuller, richer, spacious and just frankly, more musical off the Arcam. I know that the headphone out on the A85 probably isn't even that good which just makes me all that much more excited to upgrade to a high end DAP. This listening session sealed the deal, I'm getting the best sounding dap that I can afford :D.

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #4,655 of 22,960
Decided I'd try a couple different sources with my 846s today. As I'm sitting here right now AB'ing between my iPhone 5s and my arcam a85 amp/alpha9 CD player, with my iPhone playing the same music ripped on to iTunes in Apple lossless..... The difference is more than apparent. The music sounds soooo much fuller, richer, spacious and just frankly, more musical off the Arcam. I know that the headphone out on the A85 probably isn't even that good which just makes me all that much more excited to upgrade to a high end DAP. This listening session sealed the deal, I'm getting the best sounding dap that I can afford
biggrin.gif

We have a believer! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #4,656 of 22,960
Decided I'd try a couple different sources with my 846s today. As I'm sitting here right now AB'ing between my iPhone 5s and my arcam a85 amp/alpha9 CD player, with my iPhone playing the same music ripped on to iTunes in Apple lossless..... The difference is more than apparent. The music sounds soooo much fuller, richer, spacious and just frankly, more musical off the Arcam. I know that the headphone out on the A85 probably isn't even that good which just makes me all that much more excited to upgrade to a high end DAP. This listening session sealed the deal, I'm getting the best sounding dap that I can afford
biggrin.gif

Doesn't the alpha9 have a high output impedance which colours the sound of the Shure SE846?

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #4,657 of 22,960
Doesn't the alpha9 have a high output impedance which colours the sound of the Shure SE846?

Just to clarify, the amplifier I'm using is the Arcam A85 not the Alpha 9, the Alpha 9 I'd my CD player. It beats me why they gave both their amp and their CD player the same name. You are still right though about the output imprudence with the amp, it definitely colours the sound. It really isn't the most ideal piece of gear for listening to the 846s by any stretch, BUT I can still see some things about it that are far superior to my IPhone in terms of sound quality. Although the coloured sound did leave me missing some clarity in the upper mids to highs, my iPhone sounded tinny and clinical in comparison. I imagine that a dedicated DAP will sound far superior to both the arcam and the iPhone, but in very different ways.

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #4,658 of 22,960
No, that's not the correct diagnosis. I described the issue in detail a few pages back, but my SE535s don't do it on the S4, and I went to the at&t store and tried the HTC M8 and LG G3 with the Se846, and they both don't do it.

The hissing becomes more apparent at a louder volume, but it's there and present on the majority of the smartphones. My s3, note 2, note 3, and m8 all hissed. The s3/note 2 slightly less probably because it has a dedicated dac instead of it built in like the Qualcomm chips.

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #4,659 of 22,960
The hissing becomes more apparent at a louder volume, but it's there and present on the majority of the smartphones. My s3, note 2, note 3, and m8 all hissed. The s3/note 2 slightly less probably because it has a dedicated dac instead of it built in like the Qualcomm chips.

It's not hissing.It's a popping sound that I only get with the S4 / SE846 pairing. It happens intermittently, in some songs more than others. S4  / SE535 doesn't do it, and neither do the other phones with the SE846.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #4,660 of 22,960

It's not hissing.It's a popping sound that I only get with the S4 / SE846 pairing. It happens intermittently, in some songs more than others. S4  / SE535 doesn't do it, and neither do the other phones with the SE846.

Maybe clipping or some kind of equivalent due to the low impedance of the 8s sucking too much current?

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #4,661 of 22,960
  Finally, I spoke with Chuck Norris.  He claims he can listen to 10 hours of music from the SE846 balanced setup 3 times per day. 

Hope that helps.

Whoa! 10 hours of music (3) times per day!!......Chucky's day's are 30+ hours?!?!   Holy Shnit!  No wonder he's Chuck Norris!  

I only have 24 hours a day to listen...
frown.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #4,662 of 22,960

Whoa! 10 hours of music (3) times per day!!......Chucky's day's are 30+ hours?!?!   Holy Shnit!  No wonder he's Chuck Norris!  

frown.gif

Damn!!! There's 30+ hours in Chuck Norris day, no wonder sometime I feel like times passes so fast, and Holy Schiiiiiiiittttttt he can listen to 30 hours of music with his ears, that's like what the.....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #4,663 of 22,960

frown.gif

Space-time Obeys the Laws of Relativity. The Laws of Relativity Obey Chuck Norris!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back