Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #4,636 of 22,960
My expereince with hiss on the 846 is that it gets more annoying over time and not better. If the 846 hisses and that is the only time you use your dragonfly, that you should monitor your return date on your reciept. If the 846 is just one of the ways you use the dragonfly, then all bets are off. Good luck.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #4,637 of 22,960
My expereince with hiss on the 846 is that it gets more annoying over time and not better. If the 846 hisses and that is the only time you use your dragonfly, that you should monitor your return date on your reciept. If the 846 is just one of the ways you use the dragonfly, then all bets are off. Good luck.

I gotta be honest. I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you saying the Dragonfly's hiss gets worse? The 8's themselves get worse? Or that it's just more annoying as time goes? Are you talking about the receipt for the Dragonfly or the 8's? 

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #4,638 of 22,960
About the SCS, I know I know..... I don't actually really mind anything about them, my mind is probably just forming reasons to stop myself from purchasing more new things when possible.
biggrin.gif
as I said though, I very well may go custom later, lots of time for that.

As for gender assumptions, after looking through my profile I realized there is NOTHING to give you a definitive gender. I may just add something later.

Any instrument counts, right? Us musicians (amateur beginners, guitar playing dads, professional musicians and everything in between) have to stick together. We're part of a special elite group!
wink.gif

You will be surprised at the fact that many good musicians out there don't have an ear for good SQ.  That's where sound engineers come in. 
biggrin.gif

Playing an instrument is != know what sounds good, especially in a band, orchestra setting, even though he/she might know what the instrument he/she is playing should sound like.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #4,639 of 22,960
My MBP hisses like crazy with my 846's. I highly suggest picking up a good DAC. You'll notice a huge difference. It's often overlooked in many peoples chain.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #4,640 of 22,960
Late 2013 Macbook Pro user here, the high-end one with the dual video cards. Zero hiss. 

When you say what ya got, gotta make sure to specify make and model.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #4,641 of 22,960
Mid 2010 MBP. Hiss or no hiss, getting a dedicated DAC is the way to go. The DAC on a computer is surrounded by noisy components 

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #4,642 of 22,960
My MBP hisses like crazy with my 846's. I highly suggest picking up a good DAC. You'll notice a huge difference. It's often overlooked in many peoples chain.

Late 2013 Macbook Pro user here, the high-end one with the dual video cards. Zero hiss. 

When you say what ya got, gotta make sure to specify make and model.

Mid 2010 MBP. Hiss or no hiss, getting a dedicated DAC is the way to go. The DAC on a computer is surrounded by noisy components 

I just got off the phone with headphone.com. Where I got my Shures 846 from. I asked them what can I do to fix the hissing problem with both my 2011 iMac (pretty much maxed) and late 2013 15" MBP (base model). The hissing was horrible on my iMac, and he said it's because the 846 are so sensitive that its picking up noise floor from the desktop. I told them that I recently purchased Dragonfly v1.2 and while I saw a lot of improvement over both system, the hiss was still there. He suggested since the 846 is so sensitive (9 ohms) that it really needs a DAC with output impedance lower then .5 ohms. The Dragonfly output impedance is .65 ohms, slightly shy from what the 846 needs.

He suggested since the IEM are so sensitive, I should get Etymotic ER-4P to ER-S adapter. $50 from their website.
http://www.headphone.com/products/etymotic-er-4p-to-er-4s-adapter
  1. Short Cable Adds 75-ohm Impedance to Audio Signal
  2. Perfect for Minimizing Background Line Noise
  3. Ideal for Using In-Ear Earphones with Any Headphone Amp or Stereo Component
    1. Compatible with All Earphone Brands

So looks like this is the only option to fix the hissing from the 846. I found a cheaper adapter on ebay. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290372905689?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will getting this adapter degrade the SQ because you're adding 75 ohms to the IEM. He said you will need to raise the volume up more to compensate the extra ohms. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #4,643 of 22,960

I just got off the phone with headphone.com. Where I got my Shures 846 from. I asked them what can I do to fix the hissing problem with both my 2011 iMac (pretty much maxed) and late 2013 15" MBP (base model). The hissing was horrible on my iMac, and he said it's because the 846 are so sensitive that its picking up noise floor from the desktop. I told them that I recently purchased Dragonfly v1.2 and while I saw a lot of improvement over both system, the hiss was still there. He suggested since the 846 is so sensitive (9 ohms) that it really needs a DAC with output impedance lower then .5 ohms. The Dragonfly output impedance is .65 ohms, slightly shy from what the 846 needs.

He suggested since the IEM are so sensitive, I should get Etymotic ER-4P to ER-S adapter. $50 from their website.
http://www.headphone.com/products/etymotic-er-4p-to-er-4s-adapter
  1. Short Cable Adds 75-ohm Impedance to Audio Signal
  2. Perfect for Minimizing Background Line Noise
  3. Ideal for Using In-Ear Earphones with Any Headphone Amp or Stereo Component
    1. Compatible with All Earphone Brands

So looks like this is the only option to fix the hissing from the 846. I found a cheaper adapter on ebay. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290372905689?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will getting this adapter degrade the SQ because you're adding 75 ohms to the IEM. He said you will need to raise the volume up more to compensate the extra ohms. 

Not sure if he knows what he's talking about. The impedance is not the key factor causing the hiss (although it may contribute). The 114dB sensitivity is the issue I believe and the ideal output impedance should be <1/8 of the 'phone which the Dragonfly is. The impedance issue is about affecting the frequency response of the earphone though, not whether or not it hisses. I would suggest using the supplied Shure inline volume rather than buying the Etymotic adapter because I don't know if the Etymotic adapter actually increases the impedance of your phones so much as the output impedance of your source.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #4,644 of 22,960

I gotta be honest. I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you saying the Dragonfly's hiss gets worse? The 8's themselves get worse? Or that it's just more annoying as time goes? Are you talking about the receipt for the Dragonfly or the 8's? 

Apologies...was between 500 projects when I typed that. My point is that if you notice hiss on any given device and it bothers you that you will NOT get used to it. It will simply annoy you even more over time. It will drive you to commit homicide....okay maybe not that. Get your money back while you still are under return policy. If you use the dragonfly to power an amp or other headphones that are not as sensitive then you have a tougher decision.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #4,645 of 22,960
I have the new Mac Pro Cylinder desktop and it also hisses to my 846 using the SE stock cable.  I know I sound like a broken record but Single Ended stock cable is awful.  Balanced Ted Allen Silver Litz is so much better it boggles my mind why folks won't check it out.  This Mac-

I tested my W60s on Shure SE cable into my Mac Pro Cylinder and it did not hiss whatsoever.  Whether it is impedance or the sensitivity of the 846, it is clear that it will hiss out of my Mac.

Also, I tested my RSA intruder with DAC/AMP out of my Mac Pro Cylinder and neither headphone hissed.

Finally, I spoke with Chuck Norris.  He claims he can listen to 10 hours of music from the SE846 balanced setup 3 times per day. 

Hope that helps.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #4,646 of 22,960
My xonar hisses with the se846, to fix the issue you need to get a better source or increase the impedance of the iems. You can either buy an attenuator like the ones linked above or you can use the volume control that comes with the 846.

There's no perceiveable quality reduction as far as I can hear with the included adapter.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #4,648 of 22,960
  I have the new Mac Pro Cylinder desktop and it also hisses to my 846 using the SE stock cable.  I know I sound like a broken record but Single Ended stock cable is awful.  Balanced Ted Allen Silver Litz is so much better it boggles my mind why folks won't check it out.  This Mac-

I tested my W60s on Shure SE cable into my Mac Pro Cylinder and it did not hiss whatsoever.  Whether it is impedance or the sensitivity of the 846, it is clear that it will hiss out of my Mac.

Also, I tested my RSA intruder with DAC/AMP out of my Mac Pro Cylinder and neither headphone hissed.

Finally, I spoke with Chuck Norris.  He claims he can listen to 10 hours of music from the SE846 balanced setup 3 times per day. 

Hope that helps.

Chuck Norris doesn't listen to music. Music listens to Chuck Norris.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #4,649 of 22,960
  Thanks! I'm going try the volume controller and see if that helps. 

I just tried the volume controller, and it completely eliminates the popping sound my Galaxy S4 was making!!

I still do plan to get a better phone since the S4 doesn't have the greatest audio quality, and I don't want to have to carry around the volume controller, but it's nice that it will make my phone usable for now.

Any idea why this is? I don't know much about the tech specs of these gadgets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back