Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #4,441 of 22,945
  I am intrested in these shure 846 in ears but can some honest guy tell me if i am going to experience any major difference from lets say the t jays four or the shure se 215k in ears when i am only going to listen to them with a macbook pro late 2103 and a galaxy note 3 for the most times with no amp, is it worth all that extra money or not thats the question i am asking i can't test the 846 in a store here so i don't know how they sound at all ??

I have the same Macbook, so let me say that the difference will be enormous. It just is. The SE215s are bassy, yes, but the SE846 is going to have the bass power with incomparable clarity through the rest of the spectrum. They're good enough that I stopped using my full-size. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #4,442 of 22,945
  I am intrested in these shure 846 in ears but can some honest guy tell me if i am going to experience any major difference from lets say the t jays four or the shure se 215k in ears when i am only going to listen to them with a macbook pro late 2103 and a galaxy note 3 for the most times with no amp, is it worth all that extra money or not thats the question i am asking i can't test the 846 in a store here so i don't know how they sound at all ??

There is no comparing the 846 to the jays or se215 - they are so much superior in every way that it's not worth discussing it. Read the hundreds of reviews and comments on this and other threads. Even with an iphone, the superiority of the 846 is immediately obvious

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #4,443 of 22,945
Just a 2 cent contribution to dac amp for 846, while i completely agree that a newer mac/phone etc is sufficient to power these iem, I also have a two jack hpa8 so tested versus th900. first the hpa8 is way overkill to run these things as i nearly blew my head off at my standard over ear pre sets, live and learn. However the overall sq did improve significantly over the iphone, but i enjoy them out and about with just the phone.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #4,444 of 22,945
Yes, the same thing has happened to both of my IEMs. I have lost about half of the black washer from all of the filter swapping I have done. I do not believe it effects the sound because the stainless steel screw sits quite deeply into the IEM housing. I spoke with Shure's customer service about the issue and they said if It bothered me to send in the IEMs and they would replace them.

thanks spook

good to know it doesnt affect sound - does seem a design weakness though  especially if mine are starting to shred at almost new. Will keep an eye on it !

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #4,445 of 22,945
took a picture so you can get a better idea of whats going on - you can see that fine slither of black seal sitting in the nozzle hole - its still attached to the seal body - how did this happen ?

Looks like the nozzle was tightened a bit too much that, it clipped the rubber washer between the metal and acrylic housing.

I just ordered a pair of these, after weeks of reading/contemplating b/w SE-846 and IE800. Non-detachable cables for aTOTL iem is a big no-no.
Also, since I already have the HD700, I wanted to try the shure's sound.

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #4,446 of 22,945
Looks like the nozzle was tightened a bit too much that, it clipped the rubber washer between the metal and acrylic housing.

I just ordered a pair of these, after weeks of reading/contemplating b/w SE-846 and IE800. Non-detachable cables for aTOTL iem is a big no-no.
Also, since I already have the HD700, I wanted to try the shure's sound.

You're in for a treat!

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #4,447 of 22,945
The SE846 is the first time in a while I've been truly AMAZED by a product, and the first time EVER I actually started laughing at how good one sounded. I'd had the SE535 which are a fantastic product in their own right, but I wasn't sure how much better the 8's could be. As I went through all my music, I just couldn't believe what I was hearing out of IEMs. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #4,448 of 22,945
  The SE846 is the first time in a while I've been truly AMAZED by a product, and the first time EVER I actually started laughing at how good one sounded. I'd had the SE535 which are a fantastic product in their own right, but I wasn't sure how much better the 8's could be. As I went through all my music, I just couldn't believe what I was hearing out of IEMs. 

+1.

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #4,449 of 22,945

Same here dude and I have had the UE11s since day one they were released. I'm hearing instruments that I never knew were there and it's as clear as the main guitar or vocals. It pops like I've never heard. I mean songs I've heard hundreds of times and I know the words to I'm like dude when did they add a flute to a Five Finger Death Punch song? It's like half of my favorite music was remastered with better detail and Soundstage just for me. I can enjoy this anywhere and everywhere without a single person knowing or even caring. Sitting in a waiting room, at work or lying in bed I'm going Holy crap and other people are oblivious to my eargasms.

One thing I'd suggest to anyone having comfort issues or hares the cables is to try the cheap FiiO cables. They are cheap and decently made but they are very comfortable and actually sound better. I did an A/B today and I could hear a noticeable difference in detail on the high end. It's like the Shure cables are clogged or something. Durability is my only concern but I may add some heatshrink tubing to reinforce the plug down the road. I worry about snags and it punching the wire and damaging it but for $30 I wouldn't cry if it lasted me a year and it broke with moderate usage.

Another comfort improvement is to upgrade to the Westone star tips. Amazon has the dual pack for about $15.

If you're already $750-1000 in the hole why not drop another $50 for added comfort.

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #4,450 of 22,945
Really? Those Fiio cables are worth it? I've been looking at others because I really, really don't like the feel of the stock, but that seemed too dang cheap.

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #4,451 of 22,945
Really? Those Fiio cables are worth it? I've been looking at others because I really, really don't like the feel of the stock, but that seemed too dang cheap.

They are cheap but for $30 vs $200 they are worth it. They are similar to the Westone epic cable but a little more stiff and microphonic. I learned to just shorten the split closer to my neck and it'd quite. I may run some hollowed out paracord and see if that'll quite it down more. They do sound better to my ears. Cymbals are crisper. Didn't text it out on anything else but that's enough to convince me to keep em.

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #4,452 of 22,945
I keep the splitter close to my chin anyway so that's not an issue. I'm also not going on a jog with the things on so I'm not anticipating an extreme level of cord motion. I bought 'em so they're on the way now. 

How's the stiffness compared to the stock SE846 cable? 

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #4,453 of 22,945
I keep the splitter close to my chin anyway so that's not an issue. I'm also not going on a jog with the things on so I'm not anticipating an extreme level of cord motion. I bought 'em so they're on the way now. 

How's the stiffness compared to the stock SE846 cable? 

Maybe about the same. They seem to be stiffer but the wire is thinner overall and the plastic wrapping around it is firmer but the Shure is softer but thicker. It's not as bad as it seems to be in reviews. It's a little firmer than the Westone braided cables if you're familiar.

I had an issue with my left ear cutting out but I used some electronic cleaner and a qtip on all the connectors and its working fine now.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #4,454 of 22,945
Hmm. Might not be a big fan then. I was looking at the pics and it seemed like a regular ol' fabric cable. That's kinda my dream cable: braided and not with a stupid plastic sheath around it. We'll see how the sound is. I also should have my SCS's by the end of the week so it could be a good time to be an audiophile. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #4,455 of 22,945
Hmm. Might not be a big fan then. I was looking at the pics and it seemed like a regular ol' fabric cable. That's kinda my dream cable: braided and not with a stupid plastic sheath around it. We'll see how the sound is. I also should have my SCS's by the end of the week so it could be a good time to be an audiophile. 

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your SCS's and seeing how your color swirl selection looks out in the 'wild'! I have pretty high expectations for the Silver Litz cable as well, knowing that $200 or so is what you need to pay for something that is better: meaning you get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back