Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #4,426 of 22,945
I guess I should buy the Chord Hugo then. It's hard to find a dealer who sells it though.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #4,428 of 22,945
The "grey" filter I use is the black sans foam,

Should Jaben stock the X5, I will surely audition it the moment I have some free time. :)

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #4,429 of 22,945
I've come to the conclusion that as much as I like the Westone foams, I cannot wear them. They literally hurt. It's impossible to get them the whole way in because of how quickly they swell to full size, and trying to sort of "wriggle" them into place gives me some terrible brush burns. 

So on your encouragement the true fit foams arrived and been using for a few days. Think star fit is more comfortable, but no discomfort or pain with true fit foam. The Westone foam is better than comply on both sq and comfort. May be imagining but star fit seems slither more clear though.

On the subject of fit, I do think you have larger than av. ears going by your photos - not to be unkind. I am using the green tips. Slightly shocked the largest tip still has wiggle room for you!!

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #4,430 of 22,945

you run your 846 from the X5's line out instead of the HP out?  or you have an external amp driving the 846?

X5 LO > amp > 846 

just one of the many configurations i am experimenting with my new 846's

talking of which - i can see a fine piece of black seal like a thick hair sitting inside the housing of one of the ear pieces - its lying in the thread dangling across the hole where the nozzle sits (still connected) - i hope i havent damaged the seal by putting the nozzle in misaligned or something

may need to get some fine tweezers in there and cut it off !  

i think  with all the filter swapping going on the 846's may be prone to getting damaged ?

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #4,431 of 22,945
The "grey" filter I use is the black sans foam,

Should Jaben stock the X5, I will surely audition it the moment I have some free time.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think Jaben carry Fiio gear. Noisy Motel in Prahran is probably the next closest unless Kew (i.e. Addicted to Audio) is easier to get to.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #4,433 of 22,945
took a picture so you can get a better idea of whats going on - you can see that fine slither of black seal sitting in the nozzle hole - its still attached to the seal body - how did this happen ?

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #4,434 of 22,945
I don't think Jaben carry Fiio gear. Noisy Motel in Prahran is probably the next closest unless Kew (i.e. Addicted to Audio) is easier to get to.

I live in the northern suburbs (yup I'm one of them :p ), but Prahran is perhaps the easiest as I am relatively familiar with the area (the Royal Victorian Society for the Blind - now known as Vision Australia - used to have an office there). But in saying that I have never checked out Addicted. There's no harm in checking out both I suppose.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #4,435 of 22,945
I live in the northern suburbs (yup I'm one of them
tongue.gif
), but Prahran is perhaps the easiest as I am relatively familiar with the area (the Royal Victorian Society for the Blind - now known as Vision Australia - used to have an office there). But in saying that I have never checked out Addicted. There's no harm in checking out both I suppose.

For sure. Billy at Noisy Motel is a good guy. We have had a few meets there now. Perhaps you can come along to the next one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #4,436 of 22,945
I am intrested in these shure 846 in ears but can some honest guy tell me if i am going to experience any major difference from lets say the t jays four or the shure se 215k in ears when i am only going to listen to them with a macbook pro late 2103 and a galaxy note 3 for the most times with no amp, is it worth all that extra money or not thats the question i am asking i can't test the 846 in a store here so i don't know how they sound at all ??

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #4,437 of 22,945
  I am intrested in these shure 846 in ears but can some honest guy tell me if i am going to experience any major difference from lets say the t jays four or the shure se 215k in ears when i am only going to listen to them with a macbook pro late 2103 and a galaxy note 3 for the most times with no amp, is it worth all that extra money or not thats the question i am asking i can't test the 846 in a store here so i don't know how they sound at all ??

There's going to be a difference in sound to the 215's as they are dynamic and the 846 are ba.  Where abouts are you?  If europe you could order them from thomann.de who have a good returns policy.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #4,438 of 22,945
X5 LO > amp > 846 

just one of the many configurations i am experimenting with my new 846's

talking of which - i can see a fine piece of black seal like a thick hair sitting inside the housing of one of the ear pieces - its lying in the thread dangling across the hole where the nozzle sits (still connected) - i hope i havent damaged the seal by putting the nozzle in misaligned or something

may need to get some fine tweezers in there and cut it off !  

i think  with all the filter swapping going on the 846's may be prone to getting damaged ?

Yes, the same thing has happened to both of my IEMs. I have lost about half of the black washer from all of the filter swapping I have done. I do not believe it effects the sound because the stainless steel screw sits quite deeply into the IEM housing. I spoke with Shure's customer service about the issue and they said if It bothered me to send in the IEMs and they would replace them.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #4,440 of 22,945

I will say A lot more and day to night compared to the 215. tT Jays I wont even look at them not because I think I am above but because I am past that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back