Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #3,241 of 22,960
Truckdriver, maybe your journey is over and it's time to savor the destination
wink.gif

You may be right.

I agree as well.  However...if you want to be occupied and definitely not bored for about a month, you can look into getting the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves for your Shure SE846.  It will definitely be an upgrade for you, and may provide some elevated sense of auditory satisfaction! 

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #3,242 of 22,960
I know after having custom sleeves for mine, I will never go back to an earbud again...isolation and comfort is such an improvement.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,243 of 22,960
  All is right in the world.  My Shure's came back from warranty replacement promptly, about a 4-5 day turn around time.  I requested since the left one died that they replace both so I have a matched pair, and no questions asked I received a new pair today!  Very happy with the ease of working with Shure's customer service.  Now I just need to figure out what to do about my damn custom sleeves that keep falling off :/

Very cool, glad to hear you were able to receive replacements expeditiously!  As for your custom sleeves, if you want the best, and not worry about the sleeves moving around anywhere (perfect fit), you will have to unfortunately pony up some money and get the original manufacturer's recommended company for custom sleeves, and that is the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves. 
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #3,244 of 22,960
  I'm not voting for the X5. I've never tried it. I'm not planning on trying it because I don't know what it uniquely brings to the table (relative to the 846) and user experience.

The Sony ZX1 is the more interesting of the boutique DAPs, I've tried. It puts stronger priority on frequencies panned to the right and left whereas most other players have better clarity in the center. It's not trying to be an all-in-one that can drive your full-size headphones as well as your IEM.

Perhaps the new AK line will be worth a look since it features Android. Maybe it will be hacked to allow software from the huge brain-trust of people who have been working on software players and DSP development in the Android environment for years. Why exclude those options? I'd rather exclude the boutique DAPs than limit my choice of sound to only the one decided by HiFiMAN, FiiO, iBasso, or whoever.

I'm casting my vote for a hackable Android device that will let you install any number of music players and digital sound processors. It's about software development (IMO). I don't think it's about putting together hardware pieces ( like brand named dual DAC configurations and more powerful headphone amps), particularly to drive an earphone like the 846.

As for the DX90, it is a fine portable player. For those who like to plug their headphones up to the jack and press play, the DX90 is better than most smartphones (I've heard) with stock software (including the Note 3). It hasn't crashed once since I've had it. It gets a little slow at times. There's a popping noise when the amp comes on. It has very little hiss (not even worth mentioning). It's quieter than the ZX1 (in that regard).

Whereas the DX90 sounds a little better than my iPod Touch 5G (using stock player). I'd choose the Touch 5G (with Onkyo player) over the DX90. The Touch can do many more things and is very stable, fast, and less expensive. These boutique DAP makers are wasting my time (and I'm going to stop letting them). The Note 3 (with V4A and Poweramp) sounds better than all the DAPs I've tried to date (while doing everything from phones calls, internet, text messaging, taking pictures, GPS, etc (using 30 to 50 percent battery per day).

There is no comparison between the DX90, HiFiMAN HM-802, Sony ZX1, FiiO X3 with the 846 versus the third party software on the Note 3 (namely Viper4Android). If someone is talking about sub-bass with any of the above boutique DAPs, they don't know what they are talking about. They don't know what sub-bass is because it is not coming out of those devices at audible levels.

Good feedback.  I see battery life is about 1/4  than what the Ipod is.  That is a HUGE drawback.   8 hours versus about 30.  About 7 years ago I started to buy into the Apple bashing hype and tried some Sony and Cowon players and was extremely dissapointed.  I  went back to Ipod Classic with an Ibasso amp and I couldn't be happier.  those other players are crap.  Weak battery, weak volume spl and weak resolution.  Apple owns this market.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #3,246 of 22,960
  Monty, I think it is absolutely mind-blowing that we may have very well changed the game and process for the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves coupled with the Shure SE846, forever.  More about that later once I can post my darn review.  I'm saying to myself, "gotta keep posting, gotta be patient"...

That is Customer service Real time response to real world experiences with their product. They truly understand what they are doing. SHURE chose their dance partner well.

And I must say the timing of your appearance on this thread today was for me totally serendipitous. Who says only bad things happen on the internet.

I still want Steve Gutenberg to review the 8s vs the Roxanne's CIEM  this time with SCS on the 8s. IF he liked the 8s better with UFS I am curious what he would say with the improved sound from the SCS.

Not happy I will lose the SCS for a week+ but the weather for the next week will be in the high 60-low 70s. Good but not perfect for a few hours to chill with the appropriate cocktails in a zero gravity chair outside and float away and go where the music takes me. Sealed comfortable and "Out of my head" (take your pick Junkhouse or Fatboy Slim - yea he too has his place) with the 8s With nothing to disturb my bliss.

I must say I may have to get new cables or trim off the memory plastic it is a pain (too stiff) with the SCS (crap the slippery slope - Copper gold silver litz I will burn that bridge when and if necessary when my new and improved SCS return

How good is Sensaphonics CS if I were to get custom anything: concert sound plugs /musicians ear plugs. etc my first and only stop..is them. period

How good is Claudia. out of 10 ...a 42. (there's that number again)

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #3,247 of 22,960
  Good feedback.  I see battery life is about 1/4  than what the Ipod is.  That is a HUGE drawback.   8 hours versus about 30.  About 7 years ago I started to buy into the Apple bashing hype and tried some Sony and Cowon players and was extremely dissapointed.  I  went back to Ipod Classic with an Ibasso amp and I couldn't be happier.  those other players are crap.  Weak battery, weak volume spl and weak resolution.  Apple owns this market.

I am starting to feel that most newer smartphones that have the ability to use a customizable music application have a leg up on most of the DAPs out there, because you can truly dial in the settings that work the best for you.  I must have around 200 different settings for my favorite iPhone music app!  Not to mention dialing in the EQ frequencies to your exact preferences adds in the wow factor for those who fancy those options!

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #3,248 of 22,960
  I am starting to feel that most newer smartphones that have the ability to use a customizable music application have a leg up on most of the DAPs out there, because you can truly dial in the settings that work the best for you.  I must have around 200 different settings for my favorite iPhone music app!  Not to mention dialing in the EQ frequencies to your exact preferences adds in the wow factor for those who fancy those options!

I use Neutron for android...but I never use my phone. I have a clip +, X3 and X5. The X5 is sounding very good. I have not changed filters, using the default, and am using star tips. I will start to experiment as time goes on but I am pretty much enjoying what I am hearing. There are so many options it will be hard to remember one from the other.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #3,249 of 22,960
Truckdriver: Sorry to hear your experience with the DX90 was not rewarding. On the strength of your assessment, methinks I can write it off as an option.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #3,250 of 22,960
I love this song on my 846 and W60....check it out. Not my normal listen but really exciting on this caliber of IEM.

Also, it would be great if Monty would describe what the hell this song is about as only he could do
smily_headphones1.gif

It sounds like Gershwin on ketamine  or some  heavy antipsychotic drug.  What it is about I had have an easier time explaining why Justin Bieber is famous (he's a bad boy like Kieth Richards and warren zevon ..please)

I suppose IF were one to take some similar drug with distortive cognitive effects with sedative like qualities or strapped on a nitros tank that could act as a Rosetta stone  to translate it. Now remembering what you learned as you rose back up to the surface that's gonna be a trick..

Alas I may not be able to describe what this song is about. Animal tranquilizers  and anesthetics not really my scene. Full disclosure you are not getting me into a dentist chair without a nitros tank and my 5s now 8s but I get a little stressed with a high speed drill coming at me I can't see that song helping me at that time. I have read about K-holes and the such and I just don't get it. But to each there own (a sub culture of a sub culture)

Nice bass though

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #3,251 of 22,960
  That is Customer service Real time response to real world experiences with their product. They truly understand what they are doing. SHURE chose their dance partner well.

And I must say the timing of your appearance on this thread today was for me totally serendipitous. Who says only bad things happen on the internet.

I still want Steve Gutenberg to review the 8s vs the Roxanne's CIEM  this time with SCS on the 8s. IF he liked the 8s better with UFS I am curious what he would say with the improved sound from the SCS.

Not happy I will lose the SCS for a week+ but the weather for the next week will be in the high 60-low 70s. Good but not perfect for a few hours to chill with the appropriate cocktails in a zero gravity chair outside and float away and go where the music takes me. Sealed comfortable and "Out of my head" (take your pick Junkhouse or Fatboy Slim - yea he too has his place) with the 8s With nothing to disturb my bliss.

I must say I may have to get new cables or trim off the memory plastic it is a pain (too stiff) with the SCS (crap the slippery slope - Copper gold silver litz I will burn that bridge when and if necessary when my new and improved SCS return

How good is Sensaphonics CS if I were to get custom anything: concert sound plugs /musicians ear plugs. etc my first and only stop..is them. period

How good is Claudia. out of 10 ...a 42. (there's that number again)

Yeah, Claudia is the bomb-digity.com!  Well, I'm happy to be here, and happy to have helped in any way that I could.  Great things happen on the internet.  Finding a new job, finding cool gadgets, and of course, finding my future wife!  

If Mr. Gutenberg were able to have his company sponsor him with the SCS on the Shure SE846's, I'm sure his breath would be taken away by how much better everything sounded, and felt

I'm not sure why you have to take yours back as you could have had them just remake you some new ones, as what I am having them do while I currently keep mine.  I can send my current sleeves back to them when I receive the new sleeves.  Now that, is great customer service!

As for cables...man, that is such a slippery slope to tackle...but I will (unfortunately) probably get one based on the recommendations of the two users who own the HL Litz Silver cables with the Shure SE846's.  

If I was a musician, I would definitely get the Sensaphonics 3MAX or 3D Ambient Monitors, with one of the custom 14K Gold Metallic Shells as well (Usher owns the 2MAX with 14K Gold Metallic Shells).   
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3,252 of 22,960
It sounds like Gershwin on ketamine  or some  heavy antipsychotic drug.  What it is about I had have an easier time explaining why Justin Bieber is famous (he's a bad boy like Kieth Richards and warren zevon ..please)

I suppose IF were one to take some similar drug with distortive cognitive effects coupled with sedative like qualities or strapped on a nitros tank that could act as a Rosetta stone  to translate it. Now remembering what you learned as you rose back up to the surface that gonna be a trick..

Alas I may not be able to describe what this song is about. Animal tranquilizers  and anesthetics not really my scene. Full disclosure you are not getting me into a dentist chair without a nitros tank and my 5s now 8s but I get a little stressed with a high speed drill coming at me I can't see that song helping me at that time. I have read about K-holes and the such and I just don't get it. But to each there own (a sub culture of a sub culture)

Nice bass though

Love it. To think Disney would make a movie about K holes :p That makes it even better. Too bad I have lived such a puritan life.

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #3,253 of 22,960
All is right in the world.  My Shure's came back from warranty replacement promptly, about a 4-5 day turn around time.  I requested since the left one died that they replace both so I have a matched pair, and no questions asked I received a new pair today!  Very happy with the ease of working with Shure's customer service.  Now I just need to figure out what to do about my damn custom sleeves that keep falling off :/

How are you sure that you got a new pair?

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #3,254 of 22,960
Hello

in the manual of SE846 it is said about the : 
Inline Attenuator : 
"The EA650 volume control adapter will reduce the overall level of the music and noise at the same rate, still keeping the music far above the noise "

what does that mean exactly ? in simple words ?
i was trying to understand well, but not easy for me.

thx
sam

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #3,255 of 22,960

I'm not sure what device you reference here with the "8 hours" (the X3 or HM802 maybe?). The DX90 is okay, but I think the Sony ZX1 has the best battery life of the standalone DAPs.

I only talked about the Note 3 battery life which is very good indeed (in a 16 hour day) when you consider what it does. I work 11 to 12 hours a day and I don't stop using my phone when I get off work. The battery life would be significantly better if I wasn't roaming from tower to tower all day as I drive. I use GPS (with a traffic checking app) and Bluetooth (with my headset for calls). I'm either listening to music and talk shows or on the phone most of the day. Viper4Android also uses resources. Plus, I'm on the internet on my phone (occasional posting to this site from the phone). If all I did was play music 5 hours a day the Note 3 would last for more than a week.

And with all that, the Note 3 is my highest resolution music player. It's an all-in-one device that pairs the best (so far) with the 846..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back