Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #2,926 of 22,960
  any body still have a working pair ?

Mine are working fine, though to be fair, my first pair was dead within hours of using them, the replacement pair has been going strong for a while now, I bought when Eugene did though, hope they won't be going out soon too.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #2,928 of 22,960
I would suggest "Particular and passionate" with Epicurean sensibilities.

That is often how I describe myself.
It is less concise but more accurate than "crazy"
(Which is usually the first reaction I get when people hear I paid $900 for what they call "earbuds" - Are you CRAZY! $900 for....)

It's funny you should say "Epicurean" sensibilities. It is among my life ambitions to have my musings on beer as well regarded as those pondered by the likes of Oz Clarke.

As for similarities between myself and the Greek god Epecurus, well I do agree that women & children should not be enslaved. :p

Egguy: Hope you manage to find a solution without having to return the unit. :)

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #2,929 of 22,960
Right-oh ! The black modded filters are now in.

Impressions to follow. :)

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #2,930 of 22,960
Right-oh ! The black modded filters are now in.

Impressions to follow.
smily_headphones1.gif

atta boi (y)

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #2,934 of 22,960
Have tried to clean both the cable and IEM MMCX connectors? Intermittent failures are usually remedied by cleaning the connectors. Try DeOxit or if you do not have that handy use rubbing alcohol.

Put just a little bit of tissue paper with the cleaning solution at the end of a toothpick and GENTLY insert it into the MMCX connector on both the cable and IEM.
Good tip. Thanks.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #2,936 of 22,960
This is how I see it...

Stuff does go wrong in spite of rigorous testing and quality control. The 846 isn't masmanufactured in quite the same way as an iPhone is, if you catch my drift. While it might be - definitely is I should say - a head.... for the end consumer getting them replaced. I would imagine that the situation at Shure's end is one of things being similarly vexxing.

Heads, it is most likely, would have very quietly rolled, or at least some sort of divisive action would have been taken bytaken, by Shure following the returns of multiple units from individual consumers; as well as the singles from everybody else. This is their flagship after all.

But enough of that kind of unspeakable brutality. If Shure had told Jaben (Australia) that the delays in shipments were due to amending the teething problems of the first release while ensuring absolute steadfastness of the second, they would have shot themselves in the foot. Jaben could then pass this information onto the customers in a brand new market, one that would surely lose collective interest in the product if piffling malfunctions (said euphemistically) if such information became as widely known as they were widespread following the first release.

A total recall? Just the very words could sound the very death knell for any brand name, niche or otherwise. It's like a tattoo of your soon to be ex-de facto. It ain't ever comin' off and she ain't never comin' back!

The approach appears to be all "hush hush" (so? this is nothing new in the world of business), not quite honest, nor quite up front, however Shure is not an Apple sized company. It is rightfully well regarded as a top draw brand in audio; in any product pool really. I believe that Shure did what it had to do to preserve its good nane and reputation while replacing faulty units with no questions asked, so to speak.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #2,937 of 22,960
This is how I see it...

Stuff does go wrong in spite of rigorous testing and quality control. The 846 isn't masmanufactured in quite the same way as an iPhone is, if you catch my drift. While it might be - definitely is I should say - a head.... for the end consumer getting them replaced. I would imagine that the situation at Shure's end is one of things being similarly vexxing.

Heads, it is most likely, would have very quietly rolled, or at least some sort of divisive action would have been taken bytaken, by Shure following the returns of multiple units from individual consumers; as well as the singles from everybody else. This is their flagship after all.

But enough of that kind of unspeakable brutality. If Shure had told Jaben (Australia) that the delays in shipments were due to amending the teething problems of the first release while ensuring absolute steadfastness of the second, they would have shot themselves in the foot. Jaben could then pass this information onto the customers in a brand new market, one that would surely lose collective interest in the product if piffling malfunctions (said euphemistically) if such information became as widely known as they were widespread following the first release.

A total recall? Just the very words could sound the very death knell for any brand name, niche or otherwise. It's like a tattoo of your soon to be ex-de facto. It ain't ever comin' off and she ain't never comin' back!

The approach appears to be all "hush hush" (so? this is nothing new in the world of business), not quite honest, nor quite up front, however Shure is not an Apple sized company. It is rightfully well regarded as a top draw brand in audio; in any product pool really. I believe that Shure did what it had to do to preserve its good nane and reputation while replacing faulty units with no questions asked, so to speak.

I agree and would add...
This problem is also not unique to SHURE. Manufacturing has its issues in China. B&W had similar issues when they released their Zeppelin. Turn your back for a minute and a local manager will substitute a specified component for a cheaper one. In B&W's case it was a capacitor (what they are and what they do I have no idea.) causing the units to fail.

With Shure we have (like with B&W) a top drawer company with a long history and solid reputation. 21st century economic reality may have "forced" them to do their (mass) production in China, But their Reputation and Brand will not be allowed to suffer as they extend their Brands to a wider consumer audience.

Problems in manufacture are not unique to china be it design or component and unlike say an American made GM car no one has died (In GMs case I guess they really didn't have much of a reputation).

Anecdotally, Westone seems to have delay problems and other issues with a new product roll out and also their share of failures. and they build I think in the USA.

If somehow SHURE IEMs were causing oh I don't know seizures I am pretty certain they would recall the lot rather than risk their reputation.  

I would be interested to see how SHURE's failure rate ranks against Westone, Sennheiser, and CIEM houses like JH et al

Shure has always been exemplar in customer service. Got a problem send you a new one. And I suspect if you called and balked at paying for shipping to return a defect they would eat the shipping.

Finally I note form having read through other threads like the JH Audio ones. Hand made in America by artisans is no guarantee of TANK like quality on build. I note that when a JH unit fails or cable is not up to snuff JH owners are left waiting months some times for the problem to be rectified. and then there is people complaining on customer service. They are nice but efficient?

A Shure unit fails. You have a new one in 3-5 business days.
If you bought from a brick and mortar retailer next day.

My point crap happens. Things fall apart,(the center cannot hold oops). That is life, If one considers how far we hairless apes have gone in a mere 100 years (compared to the first 50,000 or so)  there are bound to be a few glitches along the way.

We are not omniscient  - yet. Until then pick your dance partner carefully. And ask yourselves before you buy anything. IF things go wrong how will this company deal with it. 

With SHURE I get a sound I LOVE (more and more with each successive generation and iteration), a company that will hold my hand and stand behind their product not just 100% but do so efficiently with a smile.

Not too bad considering their history of dealing with the general public (and in my case somewhat technically ignorant general public) is compared to their long life rather limited

Plan for the worst and hope for the best and you by and large will be happy.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2,940 of 22,960
  On the same, but lighter note...it seems like people who have had issues with certain batches of 846s haven't had too much of a problem exchanging them.

No, Shure has always been stellar in their customer service. No complaint there. I just think these things should have been bulletproof.

If I were them, I'd sell three different flavors rather than replacing filters. That seems like it would just be asking for problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back