Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,911 of 22,960
I must say I have read with much interest and some amusement all this talk as of late of people Moding or Frankensteining their Filters.

For me and my limitations I am quite happy to leave that to the engineers at Shure.

Then I thought to myself you have nothing constructive to offer this thread until my custom sleeves arrive. Why not try and FrankenMod my SE535 to se if I can't "tweak" the SQ and kick em up a notch as it were. and see how they compare to the 8s

It turns out there are threads on Head-Fi on just that topic but they are mostly about pulling stiff out of the nozzle and I didn't want to risk breaking the plastic nozzle...... Sooo. I just sort of winged it.

Now I am not nearly as handy or technically versed as most of you but all and all I think they came out really well. Really nice sounstage

True there has been some loss of comfort and the fit is not quite as flush as they were before but What...The 535s were just going to languish "boxed" in my closet anyway

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #2,912 of 22,960
  It turns out there are threads on Head-Fi on just that topic but they are mostly about pulling stiff out of the nozzle and I didn't want to risk breaking the plastic nozzle...... Sooo. I just sort of winged it.

Monty, the best way to mod your filters is to be actively listening while you "pull stuff out of the nozzle".

Here's a picture of me doing exactly that......the difference in SQ was well worth the effort!

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #2,913 of 22,960
yo monty :) I only mod coz its just the cheap parts, cables are thirty dollars and u get 2, filters are free and u get 3 and u can only listen too one. i'm dead set happy with my rig now as u can tell by my posts lately. Ive had these iems 3 weeks now and only feel the need bang on about them now, after i was able best out of them , I would never touch anything i didn't know about or that cost too much to replace if i cooked something . what did you to bugger up your seal?

Monty, the best way to mod your filters is to be actively listening while you "pull stuff out of the nozzle".

Here's a picture of me doing exactly that......the difference in SQ was well worth the effort!

lol nice one but isnt that the new iem from sony ?^

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,914 of 22,960
monty :) ....,
I would never touch anything i didn't know about or that cost too much to replace if i cooked something

Exactly. Which at my skill level Iam limited to using that cool little key to loosen and tighten the collar that hold the nozzle in place. Oh and change the filter. I guess I could get a second set and play around. But then more possible combination and outcomes. That's a lot of numerical possiblites to keep track of I'm not Rainman

Once I changed the cable to the shorter one. I felt  was slightly easier and less stressful than defusing a dirty bomb in Times Square. Which wire do I cut there all the same colour.(Cause really if you are a bomber you probably not going to make it easy to defuse.) At least Shure has the Red Dot for the right ear

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #2,915 of 22,960

I'm not "discouraged" from using power tools.

Which is why I prefer my trusty old Sonic

d7d8_doctor_who_new_sonic_screwdriver_inhand.jpg

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2,916 of 22,960
If, in my case, the black filters were otherwise destined to remain dormant in their tubular capsule, I'm thinking why not experiment? Obviously I will have someone who is more capable assist with such a micro-procedure, but to hell with it! I'bmve gone from "meh" to devil may care.

I'm like that sometimes. I can be very contrary. Not fickle, mind. Or am I splitting hairs? Over analysing? More than likely.

Sigh.... There is a lot to love about and marvel at the 846 + un-Barbara Streisanded white filter. Perhaps my quandary with "too hot" metal could be answered with a hairpin adjustment in volume (why the desert red giant kangaroo-sized leaps in volume changes when using the iPhone's physical volume buttons, oh Apple overlords?).

I like my beer, wine and Ben Elton novel protagonists to be complicated, not what would otherwise be simple life problems.

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #2,917 of 22,960
If, in my case, the black filters were otherwise destined to remain dormant in their tubular capsule, I'm thinking why not experiment? Obviously I will have someone who is more capable assist with such a micro-procedure, but to hell with it! I'bmve gone from "meh" to devil may care.

I'm like that sometimes. I can be very contrary. Not fickle, mind. Or am I splitting hairs? Over analysing? More than likely.

I would suggest "Particular and passionate" with Epicurean sensibilities.

That is often how I describe myself.
It is less concise but more accurate than "crazy"
(Which is usually the first reaction I get when people hear I paid $900 for what they call "earbuds" - Are you CRAZY! $900 for....)

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,918 of 22,960
  Ugh.  My left earpiece died today.  Time to give Shure a call.  Here I thought I was gonna sneak away with a pair from the first batch that didn't die...

What were the signs that your left earpiece died? Or did it just happened out of nowhere without any warning signs?

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2,919 of 22,960
No warning signs.  Went to lunch at work, came back, and it had stopped working.  Not sure what happened.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2,921 of 22,960
Don't remember off the top of my head, but it was in august 2013 I believe.  I'm not sweating it too much.  It happens, its the necessary evil of mass production.  For the time being, I'll just enjoy my CIEM's at work instead.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #2,923 of 22,960
Ok. My 846, left ear side has been shutting off intermittently for 0.5-1.0 seconds at times. I can't seem to replicate the problem. Just randomly shuts in and out of sound. Crackling is noticed. I think it may be the shure type connectors? I am not a fan of them at all. I really hope these don't die on me. Mine were made early 2014.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #2,924 of 22,960
Ok. My 846, left ear side has been shutting off intermittently for 0.5-1.0 seconds at times. I can't seem to replicate the problem. Just randomly shuts in and out of sound. Crackling is noticed. I think it may be the shure type connectors? I am not a fan of them at all. I really hope these don't die on me. Mine were made early 2014.

Have you tried to clean both the cable and IEM MMCX connectors? Intermittent failures are usually remedied by cleaning the connectors. Try DeOxit or if you do not have that handy use rubbing alcohol.

Put just a little bit of tissue paper with the cleaning solution at the end of a toothpick and GENTLY insert it into the MMCX connector on both the cable and IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back