Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #2,866 of 22,945
You are absolutely correct. It smooths the treble from the stock white filter but there is still some sparkle in the treble. Excellent recommendation.

I would call the white filter with the acoustical foam from the black filter not the blue plus but more the white minus filter. So to summarize we now have the following filters with the screens from brightest to warmest based on a quick 20 minute listen:

Any of filters without the foam or screen (personally I do not like the sound because of its incoherency and shrill sound).

Black filter without the foam.

Stock white filter

(I image the white filter with the blue foam would fall here)

White filter with the foam from the black filter

Stock blue filter

(I image the blue filter with the black foam would fall here)

Stock black filter.

That is eight different sonic signatures assuming the options in the parentheses are correct.

Ok I'm going to have to throw one more into the mix "I promise this is the last" I was told that it's possible that the foams could be of different density so I pulled the blue filter foam out and put them into the white filter as this is our go to filter .....after listen to both I prefer the blue filter foam with white filter ....so I'll let you judge it for once and for all it's between the black foam and blue foam insert with white filter....I'm staying with white filter with blue filter foam combo...let me know what you think I think☺️

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #2,867 of 22,945
How is the sound stage on the SE846?

Does it sound like the music is being drilled into your brain?

Does it sound open and further away?

Can I mentally pick out the coordinates of different instruments or vocals depending on their location and intensity" on stage"?

The bass is the official selling point (?) of the 846, but to my mind (and ears) its strengths lie in the slightly less tangible areas of soundstage, imaging and texture.

The soundstage itself is a tad difficult to pin down, for the 846 will create an open or airy presentation or something tighter and more intimate depending on the music being played, the recording, etc.

Listening to Machine Head performing live in New York (man I wish they went all the way and recorded the whole set instead of just two tracks for a limited Burn My Eyes release), the recording creates a totally palpable sense of being there, front row centre in a small to medium-sized venue. Amping the 846s might help bring out the crowd noise even more to help paint this picture, but I digress. If electronica is more your thing, expect the bass-heavy kick drum to resonate toward the back of your mind while sound effects that quickly transpose from right to left (such as a record being played in reverse) take on a 3D, circumpolar effect - I kid you not.

To put things in perspective, the Sennheiser IE8 features a very wide, horizontally protracted soundstage. Ultimately this was as good of a thing as bad, for it always put the listener several rows back, so to speak. The Burswood Dome of IEMs (for anyone who knows Australian music venues). The 846' soundstage is nowhere near as protracted. Instead it envelopes the mind.

Soundstage and imaging are intrinsically linked. You are likely to discover this for yourself if your musical tastes span everything from "Albatross" (Fleetwood Mac) to James Zabiela, which really does pose the question as to why so many people believe the IE800s to be more genre-versatile than the Shures.

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #2,868 of 22,945
On the topic of filter modding: Meh, :) the unmodded white is doing me quite alright. I'm not going to fix some'ink that ain't broke, unless slightly recessed musical elements (which are so minor they could hardly constitute being "broken" in the grand scheme of things) are brought forth at no expense to anything else.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #2,871 of 22,945
i am constantly amazed as to how much I love my 846 and how terrific it is!I have listened to so many IEM's over the years including the 535's...etymotic 4p's,westone 3 and 4 and on and on and in most cases when I upgraded or changed brands I found the change to offer incremental improvements or differences!The 846 is the first IEM I have bought that sounded like a completely different experience,a real upgrade that improved the listening experience!The bass is the selling point but to my ears everything is improved!The clarity,the soundstage,the detail!I only wish all of my tech upgrades were as satisfying!

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #2,872 of 22,945
Thank you Black Label, your description of the soundstage was helpful!

Pleasure. :)

I must say also that I love watching movies with the SE846. I have never heard truly high end home theatre audio and frankly could not care less for it, but the Shures really do make for an engaging all round audio experience to go with the visuals. My eyes love it too, for they feel not alone in having the source so intimately close to the receptor! :p

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2,873 of 22,945
Ugh.  My left earpiece died today.  Time to give Shure a call.  Here I thought I was gonna sneak away with a pair from the first batch that didn't die...

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #2,876 of 22,945
Wow... How on Earth did Shure and Sennheiser get it so coincidentally wrong with their respective first batch releases?

Condolences indeed, but do not be dissuaded. To my knowledge there have been few, if any, reports of faulty second batch units (correct me if I am wrong). Mine are four weeks old today hence I am of the thinking that if something were to go awry, it would have occurred by now.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,877 of 22,945

Who did you purchase from, if you don't mind? 

B&H Photo.  They are an authorized reseller, just waiting to hear back from Shure tomorrow.  Not too worried about it, they have always had a good customer service track record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back