Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,836 of 22,954
My 846's should be here Monday or Tuesday :)
But I'm in desperate need of my first DAP & have been reading a lot on these forums of a possible one & have arrived to a couple of questions.
First off is a list of DAPS that won't work for me:
-Fiio X5 due to it's horrendous UI, ruins the experience for me
-ibasso dx90. This one was the one I was going to get & seemed like a great option as you could replace battery, small size, etc. but the problem is there are only 128gb micro sd cards out now & I need more space.
-Sony ZX1 once again with only 128gb

So my options right now is to get the new ak 100ii as it can support up to 192gb but that price is a little crazy for a University student...

1. What's the best DAP you guys think pairs with the Shure SE 846's that I might have missed?
2. Is ibasso planning to release a new dx90 soon? Not sure when the last one released
3. Has anyone tried the 100ii with the 846's?
If so how was it?
4. Thanks a lot :wink:

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,838 of 22,954
My 846's should be here Monday or Tuesday
smily_headphones1.gif

But I'm in desperate need of my first DAP & have been reading a lot on these forums of a possible one & have arrived to a couple of questions.
First off is a list of DAPS that won't work for me:
-Fiio X5 due to it's horrendous UI, ruins the experience for me
-ibasso dx90. This one was the one I was going to get & seemed like a great option as you could replace battery, small size, etc. but the problem is there are only 128gb micro sd cards out now & I need more space.
-Sony ZX1 once again with only 128gb

So my options right now is to get the new ak 100ii as it can support up to 192gb but that price is a little crazy for a University student...

1. What's the best DAP you guys think pairs with the Shure SE 846's that I might have missed?
2. Is ibasso planning to release a new dx90 soon? Not sure when the last one released
3. Has anyone tried the 100ii with the 846's?
If so how was it?
4. Thanks a lot
wink.gif

I would consider the AK120.

Reasons:
1.) (2) mSD slots + 64GB internal, so 320GB is doable
2.) IU works well, seldom if ever, hangs or studders, etc.
3.) Sound (IMO) at least as good as DX90/50 or X5 and sounds good with 90% of (C)IEM's including the 846.
4.) At 8-10 hour battery life with FLAC's.
4.) Available used for a decent price, so little if any depreciation.

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #2,839 of 22,954
Dave,

The only time I had that issue cleaning the MMCX connectors with DeOxit red then gold eliminated the problem. If that does not solve the problem and with the stock cable you have no issues, contact Ted and he will fix them for you. Ted is like Shure in that he stands behind his work.

Good news, I re-applied the DeOxit gold to both the 846's and the HL cable connectors  and now the sound no longer cuts out, even with lots of movement.  The first time I used it, about 3-4 weeks ago, I only applied it to the cables connectors and not the 846's.

Thanks Spook76.

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #2,840 of 22,954
Good news, I re-applied the DeOxit gold to both the 846's and the HL cable connectors  and now the sound no longer cuts out, even with lots of movement.  The first time I used it, about 3-4 weeks ago, I only applied it to the cables connectors and not the 846's.

Thanks Spook76.

I am glad I could help Dave. I usually clean the cables and the IEM connectors about once every 2-3 months.

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,841 of 22,954
I would consider the AK120.

Reasons:
1.) (2) mSD slots + 64GB internal, so 320GB is doable
2.) IU works well, seldom if ever, hangs or studders, etc.
3.) Sound (IMO) at least as good as DX90/50 or X5 and sounds good with 90% of (C)IEM's including the 846.
4.) At 8-10 hour battery life with FLAC's.
4.) Available used for a decent price, so little if any depreciation.

Thanks.
Also I'm looking on the website at the ak120 & it says it supports microsd cards up too 64gbs, did a firmware update change it to 128gb each or something??

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #2,842 of 22,954
Thanks.
Also I'm looking on the website at the ak120 & it says it supports microsd cards up too 64gbs, did a firmware update change it to 128gb each or something??

No update needed...most any device that used 64GB cards can also use 128GB cards with no problems.

128GB cards are just very new (2014) so manufactures ad copy was based on what was available at the time the ad/device was released (i.e., AK120 was 2013).

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #2,843 of 22,954
so i lost my filters apart from the black i have been overcome by how bored i am of the sound i also tried no filters- not recomended .so i snipped of the ends of the black , where the sponge is to make shift some white ones , now i can see what everyone else was talking about , before i was content with thinking that these were no beter that sm64 or asg2 , now i am rocking bad boy micheal jackson filters . bass treble detail and all the rest is siic

if any one has the black and doesnt use them u should cut them in half and compare to the white yolo

also worth noting i can here a big difference in crunch between gain switch on dx50 now

You don't have to cut the end of the filter off ...everyone please don't ....you can just take a safety pin insert into the end and extract the small piece of precision cut foam in the end.."that way you can replace later if so desired"...I've done this as well...the sound to me seems actually just a tad brighter than the blue filter, maybe a hair under the sound of the white "I'll have to switch back to the white filter and listen for a while as I had switched to the blue and left it for a while now"

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #2,845 of 22,954
The foam at the exit is the wax guard.  The damper is on the other end and looks like a weave.

If that's the wax guard that I pulled out it's some pretty dense foam so as the white filter does not have this ...it surly affects the sound and to me seems of some acoustical use as well ...I've never used the black filters so I didn't have a reference to go on from how they sound, but I have used the blue and white quite heavily so I know their sound ...I didn't or rather don't use silver coated cables or anything like that I use ALO copper cable "which I'm liking very much"

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2,846 of 22,954
Anyone try putting the bass filter on one side and the treble/ref filter on the other side?

Just curious if you would be able to tell or if your brain would blend the sounds to give you great overall sound.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,847 of 22,954
That's not how dampers work.  They cut high frequencies, no effect on lows... at all.

The foam will do something to the sound but that something is subtle, like the foam between the driver and ear in an open headphone.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,848 of 22,954
Never tried the other other filters and still with stock blue filter. Got a replacement set as I have issues with the left driver connector and didn't feel the need to change. Guess I should start playing around with them filters and see if there's any problems with squeaking as reported by some here.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2,849 of 22,954
You don't have to cut the end of the filter off ...everyone please don't ....you can just take a safety pin insert into the end and extract the small piece of precision cut foam in the end.."that way you can replace later if so desired"...I've done this as well...the sound to me seems actually just a tad brighter than the blue filter, maybe a hair under the sound of the white "I'll have to switch back to the white filter and listen for a while as I had switched to the blue and left it for a while now"

I have two sets of all of the filters for the 846 so I have been modifying them out of curiousity. I have blue filters with no screen but with the dampening foam (very incoherent and shrill). I have white filters without the screen so just an empty tube (also rather shrill and materially brighter) and now black filters with the screen but with the foam carefully removed.

To my ears the black filters without the foam is actually brighter than the white filter. I would place the sound between no screen on the blue filter and the regular white filter. My first reaction is for those looking to add a little more shimmer to the top end and a slightly higher soundstage the black filter without the acoustical foam maybe the way to go. Call it the "white plus" filter.

I used as a reference the following songs "Can-Utility and the Coastliners" by Genesis in 16/44 FLAC, Riverside's "Second Life Syndrome" also in 16/44 FLAC and Porcupine Tree's "Anesthetize" in 24/48 FLAC.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,850 of 22,954
I'm starting to wonder if there are widespread issues with this IEM.  I know that problems tend to be exaggerated in forums because there is a higher likelihood that someone with an issue would post about it than someone who has a pair that's working just fine, but so far on the other Shure threads, there haven't been much talk about IEMs failing or being returned due to defects.  

Fear of getting a dud is holding me back on these.  These IEMs aren't available in my country so I will definitely have to import them.  If i do run into an issue with them, getting a replacement might become a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back