Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #2,386 of 22,945
I just spoke with the V.P. at Sweetwater and I will have a brand new pair tomorrow!! Great customer service.
I have to say I was thrilled to get 24 month interest free card to pay it back at my pace.!

May 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #2,387 of 22,945

From my experience, they sound much cleaner after about a day.

Bass wise, I havn't heard the MG7, but from my other experience with dual dynamics, the impact/punch should be similar, but the texture is behind. So for a bass centric song, it won't sound as good, but for general pop etc, it definitely sounds good.

I also have my w4r with me, the 846 definitely sounds better, especially bass impact, where you can only hear the impact on the w4r occasionally.

Take a look at the comparison between 846 and w60 on earphonesolutions, I decided not to wait for the w60 because the 846 sounds more fun. But apparently w60 has better mids and very similar bass with a laid back signature.

My feelings exactly on the w4r.  And, I did read the comparison.  I have always been a shure and westone fan, but the 846s won me over just on shear testimony alone.  Nothing gets that much positive feedback without being truly exceptional. 

The difference, the way I see it, is that westone has taken the 'more armatures are better' road to scaling up while shure's approach is to make the drivers you DO have work well.  I prefer shure's thinking on the matter.

The comparison did not define a clear winner - that I could see, but it did seem that overall, the 846s received more praise with nearly no faults (if any) while the w60s could, in fact, be criticized - however slightly.

May 12, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #2,388 of 22,945
I just spoke with the V.P. at Sweetwater and I will have a brand new pair tomorrow!! Great customer service.
I have to say I was thrilled to get 24 month interest free card to pay it back at my pace.!

(sigh)  Well.  That really doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy feelings I was looking for.  I'm sure my 846 box, the one I will get tomorrow, was probably sitting next to yours. Same production batch.  Just like the ones he will be sending to you - the box behind mine.

Let's hope your problems was an isolated incident.

I hope, I hope, I hope....

May 12, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #2,389 of 22,945
While discussions have deferred away from the topic of cables, I am now left with more questions than answers.  Obviously one's perceptive tastes are what would determine what sort of cable to go for...  I like the bass quantity, quality, depth and detail of the SE846 as is; for me it is great (there is so much more being delivered than I have ever heard before - to go one better to me seems at this present moment inconceivable).  Male vocals, as has been said, need a little boost (they are not tonally incorrect as such - they need more presence imo) and treble of course could use a little touching up.  With all this and the fact that it would be good to shift back to the blue filters in mind, disambiguation as to what cable to go in for is needed.

One more observation: Metallica's mid 80s work sounds very rustic through these...  I like it!  Through the IE800s ... And Justice for All  sounded clean, big and bassy.  It was never intended as such.  Now it sounds like how it once did through a tape player (in a good way).  Even Ride the Lighting sounds full of the sort of character that is now missing through ultra-modern recording technologies.

I am indeed in search of both how the artist wants me to hear their work and how I would like to hear it as well.  While not entirely flawless the 846s (without custom cable) are the closest thing to achieving both thus far.

May 12, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #2,390 of 22,945
I thought struck me about the reviews on Earphone Solutions. Namely, when the reviewer was comparing the W60 and the SE846 what specific filter(s) were they using in the 846. I do not want to sound like a Shure fanboy but considering the material sonic differences between the filters the only honest comparison would have to be with all three filters vs the W60.

May 13, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #2,391 of 22,945

My feelings exactly on the w4r.  And, I did read the comparison.  I have always been a shure and westone fan, but the 846s won me over just on shear testimony alone.  Nothing gets that much positive feedback without being truly exceptional. 

The difference, the way I see it, is that westone has taken the 'more armatures are better' road to scaling up while shure's approach is to make the drivers you DO have work well.  I prefer shure's thinking on the matter.

The comparison did not define a clear winner - that I could see, but it did seem that overall, the 846s received more praise with nearly no faults (if any) while the w60s could, in fact, be criticized - however slightly.

From what I can tell, the W60 has forward mids (it has clear mids and the vocals are stronger) relative to the Shure SE846. The W60 also has problems in the mid range (If I pay $1000 for an IEM, I don't want to hear screechy sounds in the mid range). Also the Shure SE846 is the better all rounder as it work on more music genres relative to the W60 according to the review.

There will never be a winner because being "better" is not factual but subjective. However based on the faults of the W60 and it works on less music genres, I'd give the win to the Shure SE846 based on that review. But if you have comfort issues with the Shure SE846, the W60 could be better since it's a smaller IEM apparently. (The reviewer had comfort issues because his ears are too small for the Shure SE846 apparently)

May 13, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #2,392 of 22,945
Back in the day, I was a car audio basshead who didn't really  care much for the hard kick and high SPL levels. I just wanted full-bodied bass and deep sub-bass  And today, I think I got a  similar thing with the 846. The mid bass bump is not there with the 846 unless you EQ it back in (and I did).

My IE8 kicks harder (on its highest setting) and my UE Superfi 5 EB kicks even harder still. Neither of those can achieve the depth and quality of the 846. You get the good bass without suffering thru the hard kicking and that allows you to focus on the mids and highs.

I wouldn't have known that the 846 could go deeper than my dynamic IEMs if I hadn't installed Viper4Android (V4A) on my Note 3. I had V4A on my Galaxy S2, but the Note 3 can go deeper and the mids are taller (bigger). If you use a phone as a source for the 846, I recommend the ones with the Snapdragon 800 or 801 SoC and V4A along with Poweramp.

I'll be getting an Android phone in the next few days. I must try Viper4Android.

May 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #2,395 of 22,945
I thought struck me about the reviews on Earphone Solutions. Namely, when the reviewer was comparing the W60 and the SE846 what specific filter(s) were they using in the 846. I do not want to sound like a Shure fanboy but considering the material sonic differences between the filters the only honest comparison would have to be with all three filters vs the W60.

Assume comparisons stick to stock filter because in a shop demo you prob would not be able to change

But agree filter differences are sufficiently tangible that reviewers should cover

May 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #2,399 of 22,945
Can anyone recommend me a DAC or DAP that goes well with the se846? I'm using the Fiio x5 right now and there's this annoying hiss. Really annoying when there's silence.

Big fan of the Sony ZX1. Probably doesn't have as much power as the X5, but only slight hiss and it's hard to beat the combination of form factor, battery life and Android in a touchscreen device. Pairs beautifully with the SE846. It's very airy and clear in character which compliments the 846's strengths IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back