Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #1,157 of 22,945
  I wonder what kind of portable audio gear would a person buy who had  Aston Martin money? Perhaps they'd get an AK240 and a FA Piano Forte X.

Answer: Abyss AB-1266   LINK1     

Reason: No need for any type of in-ears since servants and the butler take care of everything...
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #1,158 of 22,945
I would hope someone with AM money would know better than to buy the Abyss :wink:  Now HeadAmp BHSE and a Stax 009... would certainly more look, feel and sound the part.  Just saying.

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,159 of 22,945

Reason: No need for any type of in-ears since servants and the butler take care of everything...
wink.gif

I think that's the first time I've read where someone valued a headphone above the SR-009. I know Guttenburg is "controversial" around here (I don't know why). There's no denying he has heard some stellar equipment.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,162 of 22,945

wink.gif

Hey burtomr, did your 846 arrive yet? Curious to hear your thoughts.

I can't pull the 846 out of my ear help!!  :)

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,164 of 22,945
  Well, after more experimenting and having the buzz come and go almost on cue, I'm going to bag the 846 for now.  There's definitely a defect and in my case it spanned two production batches.  Batches that aren't early runs of the product.  

They're currently in the local FedEx drop box awaiting tomorrow evening's pickup to go back to Amazon.  I'm a little annoyed by the whole situation.  So now I'm out a total of over $30 in return shipping that Amazon isn't covering plus the time it's taken me to screw around with these to try to determine if there really was a problem and the nature of it.  I think the $1000 price of admission to the 846 club is high enough without the additional overhead.  

Doc, I think your idea of waiting a month is a good one and I think I'll follow your example.  I'm also going to call Shure (again) and let them know about this second set's problem.  I wish I didn't love them so much, though....

So much for waiting a month.  As an indication of how much I love the way these things sound, I went ahead and got another (third) pair.  After three days of putting them through the wringer, no buzzing in either ear.  I think these are good to go.  The production date was 12/17/2013.  Amazon also gave me manual refunds to cover the actual cost of return shipping on both returns.

However, just to demonstrate that there is a beautiful symmetry in the world of consumer electronics, the new computer monitor I just got today buzzes like a toaster oven that's just about to burn your house down.  I hear the buzz in both ears, though.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #1,166 of 22,945
What is everyone using to amp their SE846's? I'm using the CLA Duet and like the sound quite a bit!

- Using modest rig consisting of FiiO E18 as a DAC and C&C BH2 with my Galaxy S4 - not so portable, but I listen to that mostly at home (SQ very similar to the Leckerton but more power)
- Using the BH2 with my COWON D20 and sometimes with the S4 while outside.
- BTW, my S4 with the V4A (Viper4Android equalizer) really shines - may apply to other Android sources.

I use Silver plated cables and interconnect;

Overall IMO:  Reasonale contribution to the overall sound at a cheaper price.  

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,167 of 22,945
What is everyone using to amp their SE846's? I'm using the CLA Duet and like the sound quite a bit!

Nothing at the moment, and they already sound amazing, i'm happy to say that I'm receiving my Symbiote SP (8 Braid) from DHC in 2 hours and 23 mins (excited much...?) and then i'm still toying with the idea of buying a vamp versa, as i like the interlocking case situation it has going on and don't think i could cope with bands and all of that on a day to day basis. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #1,170 of 22,945
After a lot of fiddling around with different eartips I found one that works perfectly for me with the 846's; the Westone Star Tip...what a relief! What a sound, I've never heard music come alive like this! They have rarely come out of my ears since :).

I've seen silver cables mentioned a lot in this thread, do they make a big difference from the stock cables? Would they be worth picking up? I'm currently using a Cowon J3 and will be using the Fiio X5 soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back