Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #1,006 of 22,954
  I use a Ray Samuels Shadow, and the thing is perfect for me...small enough for easy stacking, outstanding battery life, and it pairs up wonderfully with the 846's.  Rays quality and service are top notch.

Thanks, that's helpful! One disadvantage is that I have to double amp the signal from my iPod, because there's no usb input. Or am I missing something?

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #1,007 of 22,954
Thanks, that's helpful! One disadvantage is that I have to double amp the signal from my iPod, because there's no usb input. Or am I missing something?

That is true but not necessarily a liability. A RSA amp is more than powerful, USE IT. Set your volume down on your iPod to about 60-70% and let your amp carry the load. You get greater clarity and a wider soundstage. At that volume level your iPod will not distort at all and all RSA amps are black hole quiet.

I have my iPod Touch at 66% (6 steps down) and my RSA Lightning at 1 o'clock on medium gain. Try it.

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,008 of 22,954

Not necessarily....search for a LOD cable for your ipod.  I don't own any apple products, so don't know much about the different line out options for them.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,009 of 22,954
  I actually did call Shure with the first pair before I set up the return with Amazon.  The woman told me that it'd be 10 business days and I'd still have to pay to ship them to them.  From previous experience I knew I'd get another pair from Amazon in half that time and $5 back on shipping is better than nothing.  To be honest I was somewhat taken aback by how long the Shure lady said it would take.

Is there something special that I'm supposed to tell them in order for them to offer overnight?

If you get any news on these....ring me in! I'm waiting a month, but will call Shure to just let them know about the problems.....

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #1,010 of 22,954

If you get any news on these....ring me in! I'm waiting a month, but will call Shure to just let them know about the problems.....

Well, after more experimenting and having the buzz come and go almost on cue, I'm going to bag the 846 for now.  There's definitely a defect and in my case it spanned two production batches.  Batches that aren't early runs of the product.  

They're currently in the local FedEx drop box awaiting tomorrow evening's pickup to go back to Amazon.  I'm a little annoyed by the whole situation.  So now I'm out a total of over $30 in return shipping that Amazon isn't covering plus the time it's taken me to screw around with these to try to determine if there really was a problem and the nature of it.  I think the $1000 price of admission to the 846 club is high enough without the additional overhead.  

Doc, I think your idea of waiting a month is a good one and I think I'll follow your example.  I'm also going to call Shure (again) and let them know about this second set's problem.  I wish I didn't love them so much, though....

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,011 of 22,954
Looking for a good portable amp/dac to go with my iPod Classic 7G and SE846s. The JDS C5(D) seems a good buy for $189/$249. They should be good with 9 ohm IEMs, right??

More recommendations for a small amp/dac for my iPod Classic are welcome. Looking for the best audio quality for max. $250/$300. Thanks!

Leckerton.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #1,012 of 22,954
  Looking for a good portable amp/dac to go with my iPod Classic 7G and SE846s. The JDS C5(D) seems a good buy for $189/$249. They should be good with 9 ohm IEMs, right??

More recommendations for a small amp/dac for my iPod Classic are welcome. Looking for the best audio quality for max. $250/$300. Thanks!

Save your money and wait for the Headstage Arrow G5

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,013 of 22,954
It's probably best to go with Spook's suggestion of Ray Samuel's amps. I don't know personally.  I have tried my Headstage Arrow 4G with my iPod Touch 5G and the 846 and it didn't help. The Arrow seems to thin out the sound a little in addition to not really enhancing anything. I did think the Arrow helped my iPod Touch 3G (but not the 5G).

I use to be a strong believer in “higher bit rate equals better sound”. But now, (with V4A) I don't know if I can tell the difference between 128kbs and 320. One of these days, I'm going to find out.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #1,014 of 22,954
  It's probably best to go with Spook's suggestion of Ray Samuel's amps. I don't know personally.  I have tried my Headstage Arrow 4G with my iPod Touch 5G and the 846 and it didn't help. The Arrow seems to thin out the sound a little in addition to not really enhancing anything. I did think the Arrow helped my iPod Touch 3G (but not the 5G).

I use to be a strong believer in “higher bit rate equals better sound”. But now, (with V4A) I don't know if I can tell the difference between 128kbs and 320. One of these days, I'm going to find out.

May be you wanna try the 4T instead. It is far better than 4G to my ears. But yes, it doesn't improve the Shure 846 much but it does improve the 1plus2.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #1,015 of 22,954
Eh....can I ask a question out of this topic? Cause I wanna know how can  I  be able to post a new thread on Buy/Sell/Trade? I have a 30-day registration time and I have posted 20+ replies on other forums. If you can help me with this problem I will really appreciate it! Thank you.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #1,016 of 22,954

On my S4, the Viper4Android (V4A) really shines; it even surpasses the E18 DAC, AMP (with both gain and bass set to high).
My E18 currently supports the Cowon D20.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #1,017 of 22,954
On my S4, the Viper4Android (V4A) really shines; it even surpasses the E18 DAC, AMP (with both gain and bass set to high).
My E18 currently supports the Cowon D20.

Hi, may I know if the S4 needs flashing or rooting for the V4A to works. Will it works from a factory set S4 i9505. Thanks in advance.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #1,018 of 22,954
Yes, Root is required, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2191223
I use version 2.3.1.5 FX with very good results (galaxy s4 i9505 android 4.4.2)
edit: newer version 2.3.2.2 exists (will try and report)

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #1,019 of 22,954
  The bass part of SE846 is too strong for me.....

Technically if using the old standards... yes, yes it is.  Now that the Olive-Welti curve is public we also know that even by that standard the 846 has a bit too much sub-bass and not quite enough lower treble.  Overall though I think it's the closest to the standard that I've seen.  Something like the ER-4PT would be lacking a lot down low and have a bit too much up top.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #1,020 of 22,954

Users who are viewing this thread

Back