Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #991 of 22,945
Why do you not call Shure and return it to them directly? Shure will overnight ship a replacement at their cost. Sam Ash is an authorized retailer. You have a much better chance of not getting a defective replacement.

I actually did call Shure with the first pair before I set up the return with Amazon.  The woman told me that it'd be 10 business days and I'd still have to pay to ship them to them.  From previous experience I knew I'd get another pair from Amazon in half that time and $5 back on shipping is better than nothing.  To be honest I was somewhat taken aback by how long the Shure lady said it would take.

Is there something special that I'm supposed to tell them in order for them to offer overnight?

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #992 of 22,945
I actually did call Shure with the first pair before I set up the return with Amazon.  The woman told me that it'd be 10 business days and I'd still have to pay to ship them to them.  From previous experience I knew I'd get another pair from Amazon in half that time and $5 back on shipping is better than nothing.  To be honest I was somewhat taken aback by how long the Shure lady said it would take.

Is there something special that I'm supposed to tell them in order for them to offer overnight?

Ask Truckdriver through a private message.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #993 of 22,945
greetings fellow head-fiers,

i've been thoroughly auditioning the SE846 for the past week and absolutely love it. however i really really really dislike the cable on this. any experienced head-fier out there with a good upgrade/replacement cable to recommend? cheers!

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #994 of 22,945
I use a Forza audioworks hybrid (silver/copper twisted together), and it works great.  definitely an improvement over stock cables.  Double Helix Cables and Ted/Headphone Lounge are also good choices.  Moon Audio also gets a lot of praise for their cables, but I don't own any of theirs.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #995 of 22,945
  You might have something there.... I just put an O2 amp if front of the headphones (I think these have an output impedance of about .5 ohm).  Big difference.  May have to drop back to the balanced filter.

Thanks!

No problem...are you enjoying them more now?  The balanced filter is what I use 98% of the time myself.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #999 of 22,945
@fonsecaj: I haven't had that “ right side channel imbalance” issue since I posted about it several days ago. I hope you get satisfaction. Please keep us informed.

As for Amazon vs Shure in customer service, it's hard to beat Amazon in that department (although Shure is very good in this realm compared to some of the stories we read on this forum). Amazon is huge. Do not be fooled into thinking Amazon's shipping cost are high. Imagine the deal a shipper would be willing to forge with Amazon for return rates. It is immensely better than you (or I) shipping a single product. I can imagine UPS just throwing in return shipping so Amazon doesn't use DHL (or another company).

I requested a return (and replacement) for a non-working 64gb SD card at Amazon. Two days later, the new SD card arrived before I even printed the form to return the non-working card.

Shure did require me to pay the return shipping, but they do not “evaluate” your return before sending a new one. They only wait to receive your return and then they immediately ship out a new one (at least, that has been my experience).

This all must seem rather “first world” to people who paid for (then sent their impressions in) and have waited months for their CIEM. They must be rolling their eyes (
rolleyes.gif
) at our worry of mere days.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,000 of 22,945
  greetings fellow head-fiers,

i've been thoroughly auditioning the SE846 for the past week and absolutely love it. however i really really really dislike the cable on this. any experienced head-fier out there with a good upgrade/replacement cable to recommend? cheers!

I use the Silver Dragon V1 IEM Shure-48 inches-Oyaide Right Angled 1/8" Mini from Moon Audio. I actually slightly softened some of the brightness. However, any change to the SQ was very subtle.

My only reason for getting the Silver Dragons was that I didn't like to physical characteristics of the stock cable. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #1,001 of 22,945
Amazon has been favorite store. Sometimes due to my impatient, I order 1 day prime shipping at $3.99 and then return the faulty one when I get the replacement. I also get instant refund.

I don't believe there are any other vendors in us who would offer immediate refund and 1 day replacement at $3.99. It's free for 2 days.

I bought mine at amazon after reading this thread and it was shipped in 1 day, order today arrive tomorrow morning. No buzzing so far and mine is made on 12/24 (Christmas Eve) if iI remember correctly.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #1,002 of 22,945
  I use the Silver Dragon V1 IEM Shure-48 inches-Oyaide Right Angled 1/8" Mini from Moon Audio. I actually slightly softened some of the brightness. However, any change to the SQ was very subtle.

My only reason for getting the Silver Dragons was that I didn't like to physical characteristics of the stock cable. 

exactly my thoughts regarding the cable. i forsee myself getting really irritated with the stock cable whilst travelling.

thanks everyone for the suggestions! 

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,003 of 22,945
Regarding the buzzing, I've been able to consistently reproduce it using a tone generator at 250Hz while gently touching and releasing or gently tapping it with my finger.  When I release the buzz occurs and then sustains for a second or so.  Doing the same stuff, even much harder, to the left earphone does nothing except make the expected thud.

If I leave the earphone alone while it's reproducing the test tone there's no buzz.

My guess was that when the earphone is operating, output from other drivers might be doing what my finger is doing:  interacting with it in a way that makes it resonate.  

Then I fired up ReBirth on my ipad in background audio mode with a full volume kick playing on the down beat at 60 bpm and then turned on the tone generator at 250.  

I observed:
1. the buzz sometimes occurred on its own, but not often
2.  the buzz would start if I turned my head
3.  the buzz would start if I touched the earbud like before, but would last much longer, 3-4 seconds as opposed to around 1 second

After I did this for about 2 minutes (driving me semi-insane), the buzz stopped.  Even if I tapped the earphone I couldn't seem to instigate it.  I waited 5 minutes and then tried it again, both test signal alone and with the kick drum, and no buzz.

To be honest I'm even more confused about this than I was before this little stunt.  Is it really a defect, is it a problem with my right ear, or is it a matter of the right earbud needing very specific burn in as a result of a sublet defect?  If anyone has any ideas I'd be thrilled to hear them.  For now I'm going to go interact with the outside world and will leave the 846s to contemplate my new composition, "Four on the Floor with 250Hz" for a while and see how it is later on.

Regarding Amazon shipping/returns, with these I think the combination of it being a "fulfilled by Amazon" and not "sold by Amazon" with the price makes me wait for them to receive and fully process the return before issuing a refund, plus making me provide my own return shipping.  Like you guys I've had other stuff refund immediately in the past and then have Amazon give me a printable UPS label.  

Truck, what you said did occur to me as I was complaining a few days ago.  However, it's possible that our fellow 846ers who had to wait months might enjoy other stuff, like not having a snowstorm every three days.  :)     

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #1,004 of 22,945
Looking for a good portable amp/dac to go with my iPod Classic 7G and SE846s. The JDS C5(D) seems a good buy for $189/$249. They should be good with 9 ohm IEMs, right??

More recommendations for a small amp/dac for my iPod Classic are welcome. Looking for the best audio quality for max. $250/$300. Thanks!

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,005 of 22,945
I use a Ray Samuels Shadow, and the thing is perfect for me...small enough for easy stacking, outstanding battery life, and it pairs up wonderfully with the 846's.  Rays quality and service are top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back