Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #931 of 22,960
Sign me up for the Shure Plan for the SE1068. +25db bass gain sounds about right to me with quad subwoofers. I want a bass response that makes my eyeballs melt like the Nazi in Raiders of the Lost Arc.

As for the name of our support group, I like AA (Audiofiles Anonymous). The problem is where will we find sponsors to stop us purchasing new equipment. Head-Fi is filled with enablers and codependant addicts like us.

On a semi serious note, Truck do you find your musical tastes changing with the SE846? I find myself seeking out more bass centric music and ever since the SE535 good vocals are more important with the midrange beauty of Shures.

If you like bass try the track "United We Stand, Divided We Fall" from Two Steps From Hell.  It's on a couple of their albums such as Nero. Almost anything from them has big bass.  For new age genre try Peter White and the Here We Go album.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #932 of 22,960
Sign me up for the Shure Plan for the SE1068. +25db bass gain sounds about right to me with quad subwoofers. I want a bass response that makes my eyeballs melt like the Nazi in Raiders of the Lost Arc.

As for the name of our support group, I like AA (Audiofiles Anonymous). The problem is where will we find sponsors to stop us purchasing new equipment. Head-Fi is filled with enablers and codependant addicts like us.

On a semi serious note, Truck do you find your musical tastes changing with the SE846? I find myself seeking out more bass centric music and ever since the SE535 good vocals are more important with the midrange beauty of Shures.

I haven't notice a change in taste. However, when I perceive a change (for the better) in sound quality, I find myself listening to everything. I have old compilation CDs (that I converted) but normally only listen to familiar tracks. Now, I listen to everything that comes up. Yesterday, for example, very little of what I played was bassy. Today, I may purposely play bass heavy stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #933 of 22,960
I love jazz and that sounded great, although I don't know if I would call that a "torture test". 

I meant that in terms of bass 'speed & articulation' as opposed to 'big' bass. Any headphone with bloated bass will not render the definition and texture properly and will just mask/burry the details and not keep up with the pace.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #934 of 22,960
I meant that in terms of bass 'speed & articulation' as opposed to 'big' bass. Any headphone with bloated bass will not render the definition and texture properly and will just mask/burry the details and not keep up with the pace.

I gotcha. Yeah my Westone 3 has a good amount of bass but the SE846 is just surgical. I love how it seems to know when to presnt its bass. Just gotta continue to save up for a proper DAC now :/ and cables...cant imagine how they will sound then!

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #935 of 22,960
I gotcha. Yeah my Westone 3 has a good amount of bass but the SE846 is just surgical. I love how it seems to know when to presnt its bass. Just gotta continue to save up for a proper DAC now :/ and cables...cant imagine how they will sound then!

So tempted to sell off some of my Westone stuff to get these, every review i read makes me want them more haha.  I would be in the same boat though, i would want to at least get a proper cable for these...which means i'll be well over the $1000 range after all is said and done.  Just don't know if i can justify spending that much money :-/

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #936 of 22,960
So tempted to sell off some of my Westone stuff to get these, every review i read makes me want them more haha.  I would be in the same boat though, i would want to at least get a proper cable for these...which means i'll be well over the $1000 range after all is said and done.  Just don't know if i can justify spending that much money :-/

I know what you mean. I sold a bunch of stuff that were laying around the house collecting dust on ebay. Managed to get $800 from that :) I still have my W3, but I dont want to part with it because it was my first audiophile earphone..Might sell them to fund cables though...

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #938 of 22,960
I too just removed the memory wires.

A delicate job, but as you mentioned "So much better!"

Nice! Yeah I was really nervous and super careful. I even added some gorilla glue (fast drying white variant) at the end of the wire to seal any cuts I may have made but not seen on the clear cover and to fill up any space from the missing memory wire. Happy (comfortable) listening!

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #939 of 22,960
New happy owner here.
Astonish sound quality. I had some Fitear C435 and 335 but needed an universal solution and those fit the bill perfectly.
Right now, I'm playing switching filters, am I the only one who feel that the black filters actually have less bass than the blue ones?

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #940 of 22,960
New happy owner here.
Astonish sound quality. I had some Fitear C435 and 335 but needed an universal solution and those fit the bill perfectly.
Right now, I'm playing switching filters, am I the only one who feel that the black filters actually have less bass than the blue ones?

No the black has the least bass of all three filters.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #942 of 22,960
If I upgraded the cable such as a Copper/Gold would that make the bass even more powerful?

No, but in my humble opinion a cable upgrade can increase the overall clarity and PRaT especially if you go with OCC silver. Other than EQing the bass, if you want great bass impact you might look into a balanced amp.

You reaction to the 846 vis-a-vie the 535 is exactly right. The 846 does not have a bloated bass but when bass is called for the depth and texture is spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Skev
Back