Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #871 of 22,945
I'm not 14 and I'm not a girl, but OMG! haha

Got the Theorem 720, Ted's custom cable, custom molds and holy crap this rig sounds good. Had to do some custom setup of my pc to get the Theorem to be at it's best, but once I figured that out, streaming from Pandora even sounds amazing. 

This is a rig to put on your wish list. Sounds awesome. Going to work on getting an app built so I can stream wifi (beats 320kbps) from my phone to the 720. That would make a great pairing.

I've not found any aps to play streaming to data. Just local files to data. Have you?

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #873 of 22,945
I'm not 14 and I'm not a girl, but OMG! haha

Got the Theorem 720, Ted's custom cable, custom molds and holy crap this rig sounds good. Had to do some custom setup of my pc to get the Theorem to be at it's best, but once I figured that out, streaming from Pandora even sounds amazing. 

This is a rig to put on your wish list. Sounds awesome. Going to work on getting an app built so I can stream wifi (beats [COLOR=333333]320kbps[/COLOR]) from my phone to the 720. That would make a great pairing.

I've not found any aps to play streaming to data. Just local files to data. Have you?

I saw on Ted Allen's website Headphonelounge.com that he is now selling a limited edition budget OCC silver cable at $150 plus shipping. The budget silver is a smaller gauge but that same OCC purity with Ted's superb build quality. The best just got better.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #874 of 22,945
I saw on Ted Allen's website Headphonelounge.com that he is now selling a limited edition budget OCC silver cable at $150 plus shipping. The budget silver is a smaller gauge but that same OCC purity with Ted's superb build quality. The best just got better smaller.

rolleyes.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #875 of 22,945
I'm not sure if I would want to go lower for $40. I would certainly go higher for another $40. If you're worried about $40, I'm not sure this is the right hobby for you. That being said, if you're on a budget, I'd work really hard to fit in either level of cable you can swing. Totally worth it!

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #876 of 22,945
Because I don't like the stock cable (too rigid around the ears), I'm looking for a nice silver cable.
Don't need balanced, don't need ultra high end. Max $100/$150.

Which one do you guys recommend??? I already mailed Ted, but I really like to know if there are alternatives. Thanks!

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #877 of 22,945

First post :) No more lurking from here on out!
These headphones sure are beautiful, haven't felt this much like a kid on Christmas in a long time when I got them out of the box. 
Right now I am using the se846 straight from the iphone 4s, as you can hear a distinct noise as well as frequent clicking sounds when hooked up with the E17, but they still sound miles better than the copper pros that I made the upgrade from, even without the E17.

I am planning on making the rest of the upgrade bit by bit, but in what order? my initial thoughts are to get the silver cables from headphone lounge and then the rsa protector amp that everyone seems to be going on about. How does this setup compare to let's say just a porta player like ak120 or similar alternatives. Right now I'm actually not sure if all this is actually worth the 800 - 1200 dollar premium. 

Would appreciate if anyone would let me know if there are other low cost alternatives that improves upon the already great sound and doesn't create a hiss because of the ridiculously low impedance.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #878 of 22,945
[url=http://i.imgur.com/QBE6bzj.jpg%5B/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QBE6bzj.jpg[/IMG[/url]]
First post :) No more lurking from here on out!
These headphones sure are beautiful, haven't felt this much like a kid on Christmas in a long time when I got them out of the box. 
Right now I am using the se846 straight from the iphone 4s, as you can hear a distinct noise as well as frequent clicking noises when hooked up with the E17, but they still sounds miles better than the copper pros that I made the upgrade from, even without E17.

I am planning on making the rest of the upgrade bit by bit, but in what order? my initial thoughts are to get the silver cables from headphone lounge and then the rsa protector amp that everyone seems to be going on about. How does this setup compare to let's say just a porta player like ak120 or similar alternatives. Right now I'm actually not sure if all this is actually worth the 800 - 1200 dollar premium. 

Would appreciate if anyone would let me know if there are other low cost alternatives that improves upon the already great sound and doesn't create a hiss because of the ridiculously low impedance.
[/quote]

The hiss is not caused by you DAP (your iPhone) but from the amp. With sensitive IEMs it is even worse. I tried both the ALO and Cypher Labs before settling on Ray Samuels because RSA amps are black hole quiet. It is not much cheaper but Justin's Pico Slim from Headamp is reported to be as quiet at RSA.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #879 of 22,945

Cables are not where I'd start but where I'd finish. Was looking into upgrade options for the gear with my 846s and found a couple threads like this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/664752/importance-of-headphones-amp-dac-cable-music-player-etc

So amp first. I have just taken care of this. I purchased a iBasso Toucan PB-1, which is going to be overkill for the 846s most likely, but it can also drive my HiFiMan HE-5LEs balanced, so I got it for its versatility with my gear. Crossing my finger that there is no hiss with the 846s. 

Next will be source. iDSD looks mighty alluring, as do a lot of USB DACs or a DAP like the iBasso DX50. Maybe some of these DAPs or DACs have good enough amps that a separate amp isn't required. Most of the portable DACs seem to include a volume control.

Then down the road I may get serious about cables. 

Of course, would love any input from other 846 owners. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #881 of 22,945
Cables are not where I'd start but where I'd finish. Was looking into upgrade options for the gear with my 846s and found a couple threads like this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/664752/importance-of-headphones-amp-dac-cable-music-player-etc

So amp first. I have just taken care of this. I purchased a iBasso Toucan PB-1, which is going to be overkill for the 846s most likely, but it can also drive my HiFiMan HE-5LEs balanced, so I got it for its versatility with my gear. Crossing my finger that there is no hiss with the 846s. 

Next will be source. iDSD looks mighty alluring, as do a lot of USB DACs or a DAP like the iBasso DX50. Maybe some of these DAPs or DACs have good enough amps that a separate amp isn't required. Most of the portable DACs seem to include a volume control.

Then down the road I may get serious about cables. 

Of course, would love any input from other 846 owners. 

I respectfully disagree. Upgrading the cables to silver even from an iPhone or iPod makes a marked improvement. But I do not want to derail this thread discussing cables.

Congrats Admiral on your purchase of the SE846

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #882 of 22,945
I respectfully disagree. Upgrading the cables to silver even from an iPhone or iPod makes a marked improvement   difference. But I do not want to derail this thread discussing cables.

fixed that for you.

That's the cause of most contention around here, I find.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #883 of 22,945
I respectfully disagree. Upgrading the cables to silver even from an iPhone or iPod makes a marked improvement. But I do not want to derail this thread discussing cables.

I am not saying that a cable upgrade will not provide an improvement, even a marked one perhaps. Just saying that consensus (insomuch as that is even possible on HeadFi) is that in general amps and source upgrades will provide a greater degree of improvement. Also, choice of amp and source may also impact what cable will work best with your set-up. 

Maybe this isn't the case for the 846. Not sure. I went with amp first. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #885 of 22,945

I am not saying that a cable upgrade will not provide an improvement, even a marked one perhaps. Just saying that consensus (insomuch as that is even possible on HeadFi) is that in general amps and source upgrades will provide a greater degree of improvement.

Speaking of cable upgrades: another reason is the ability to run your new balanced amp in balanced mode, which is not possible with the stock cable unless you re-terminate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back