Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #9,676 of 22,960
Any thoughts here on what genres the se846 works best with? Being a mid centric iem. 

I have a shallow V shaped iem with me atm (stagediver SD-4) and find myself wanting to crank up the volume all the time .... I am suspecting it is due to the fact the mids are recessed and I might like mids? 

I mostly listen to modern classical stuff...ambient and electronic elements. 

You probably don't like mids given those genres, although classicle does benefit some for sure. Metal, classic rock like mids. The 846 will play your genres wonderfully as it will receive the sub bass to a triangle very well. A good dac amp makes it even better.
The 846 and th900 play electronic, down beat, hip hop, classicle, jazz, blues, and alternative excellently. As long as recording is high quality and dynamic with lots of space for 3d from sub bass to cracking snares.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #9,677 of 22,960
I'll do a quick comparison of the IE800 and the SE846s. I feel that many of the people who respond to the question to "which is the more superior IEM" is failing to regard the opposing side's strengths and weaknesses. I have both IEMs, and use them both daily for different uses.

IE800:
The clearest of the two IEMs. Bass is quite detailed and present, but doesn't excel in the sub-bass regions as the SE846s. The mids aren't as forward as the SE846s, but produce vocals that are mind-bogglingly realistic. Treble is liquid gold. Highs are quite accentuated, but at times, to a harsh degree. Sibilance can sometimes be heard, though after getting used to it, they aren't as bad as it once was. The only complaint I have here is the microphonics, though if you're buying these for use in the gym or in a crowded subway station, you'd be better off getting the SE846s. These have two bass ports that let ambient noise in. The IE800s are just like its big brother in terms of soundstage and audio reproduction. It is the most natural sounding of the two. As stated, Sennheiser made the mids not as forward as the SE846s, which I felt was a great move. Never do I feel the bass overwhelming the rest of the piece, either.
All in all, a great sounding IEM. Probably the best bang for your buck out there. Though it doesn't sound nearly as good as its big brother, the HD800, I feel that these are probably the closest you can get to them in the form of a UIEM. If you want audio neutrality, definitely go for these. It's a bright IEM though, so I doubt bassheads will be satisfied here.

SE846s:
As stated, isolation is superior to the IE800s. Sub-bass reproduction is the closest I've heard an IEM come to full subwoofer performance, though at times, it can bleed into the midrange and overpower other parts of the music. Mids are surprisingly forward, which may appeal to some, but for me, it killed certain tracks. It all depends on the genre you intend to listen to IMO. Treble and highs are nice. They lack the "zing" the IE800s provide, due to treble roll off, but they also do not exhibit the same sibilance. Actually, I didn't at all hear any sibilance while listening to these. Detachable cable and stock cables that don't have microphonics might be the deal maker for some, but I find that the superiority of the IE800s in terms of audio reproduction to tip the scale in its favor. (All of this was taken from using the white filters.) I doubt trebleheads will like these. As said, treble is rolled off, and at the cost, lots of detail in the higher regions. Bass is supreme though. It is very present in each and every track, and is sure to please bassheads. It also comes with 3 filters in case you want a different amount of bass mixed in your music. Personally, I find the white filters to be the most balanced of the three.

In conclusion,
There's a reason why these two are considered TOTL IEMs. They're both well worth the price that each company charges for them. If you are stuck in a situation that was once similar to mine, my best advice would be to just buy both, and return the one you don't like as much (which is pretty damn hard lol). As for me, I prefer the IE800s, but I can easily see why people prefer the SE846s.

Just my two cents.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #9,678 of 22,960
You probably don't like mids given those genres, although classicle does benefit some for sure. Metal, classic rock like mids. The 846 will play your genres wonderfully as it will receive the sub bass to a triangle very well. A good dac amp makes it even better.
The 846 and th900 play electronic, down beat, hip hop, classicle, jazz, blues, and alternative excellently. As long as recording is high quality and dynamic with lots of space for 3d from sub bass to cracking snares.

Any opinions of se846 with AK120II? would get from japan so could potentially go balanced. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #9,679 of 22,960
Don't own a dap other than i phone six plus 128 gig. Anyone else?

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #9,680 of 22,960
  I'll do a quick comparison of the IE800 and the SE846s. I feel that many of the people who respond to the question to "which is the more superior IEM" is failing to regard the opposing side's strengths and weaknesses. I have both IEMs, and use them both daily for different uses.

IE800:
The clearest of the two IEMs. Bass is quite detailed and present, but doesn't excel in the sub-bass regions as the SE846s. The mids aren't as forward as the SE846s, but produce vocals that are mind-bogglingly realistic. Treble is liquid gold. Highs are quite accentuated, but at times, to a harsh degree. Sibilance can sometimes be heard, though after getting used to it, they aren't as bad as it once was. The only complaint I have here is the microphonics, though if you're buying these for use on the gym or in a crowded subway station, you'd be better off getting the SE846s. These have two bass ports that let ambient noise in. The IE800s are just like its big brother in terms of soundstage and audio reproduction. It is the most natural sounding of the two. As stated, Sennheiser made the mids not as forward as the SE846s, which I felt was a great move. Never do I feel the bass overwhelming the rest of the piece, either.
All in all, a great sounding IEM. Probably the best bang for your buck out there. Though it doesn't sound nearly as good as its big brother, the HD800, I feel that these are probably the closest you can get to them in the form of a UIEM. If you want audio neutrality, definitely go for these. It's a bright IEM though, so I doubt bassheads will be satisfied here.

SE846s:
As stated, isolation is superior to the IE800s. Sub-bass reproduction is the closest I've heard an IEM come to full subwoofer performance, though at times, it can bleed into the midrange and overpower other parts of the music. Mids are surprisingly forward, which may appeal to some, but for me, it killed certain tracks. It all depends on the genre you intend to listen to IMO. Treble and highs are nice. They lack the "zing" the IE800s provide, due to treble roll off, but they also do not exhibit the same sibilance. Actually, I didn't at all hear any sibilance while listening to these. Detachable cable and stock cables that don't have microphonics might be the deal maker for some, but I find that the superiority of the IE800s in terms of audio reproduction to tip the scale in its favor. (All of this was taken from using the white filters.) I doubt trebleheads will like these. As said, treble is rolled off, and at the cost, lots of detail in the higher regions. Bass is supreme though. It is very present in each and every track, and is sure to please bassheads. It also comes with 3 filters in case you want a different amount of bass mixed in your music. Personally, I find the white filters to be the most balanced of the three.

In conclusion,
There's a reason why these two are considered TOTL IEMs. They're both well worth the price that each company charges for them. If you are stuck in a situation that was once similar to mine, my best advice would be to just buy both, and return the one you don't like as much (which is pretty damn hard lol). As for me, I prefer the IE800s, but I can easily see why people prefer the SE846s.

Just my two cents.

Have both and i agree to everything written.Very good analysis.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #9,681 of 22,960
I only have the 846.  I agree with most of what I read, although with my Pono and the white filters I'm getting plenty of upper end (I am a treble head), and am not suffering from treble roll-off (my concern when I was thinking of purchasing these).  It's not the kind you get from an Altone200, but very nice and clear, with, as you stated, no sibilance at all.  I'm running the 846 with a balanced cable, so that will affect things a bit as well.  I haven't found the bass bleeding into the mids, but I don't listen to bass-heavy music (I'm into Beatles, Stones, Traffic, Mamas and Papas, Steely Dan, etc.).   I really love the forward mids, but as you mentioned, certain types of music benefit from that.  Bass and sub bass are really clear and well-defined (not oomphy and bloated-sounding).  

I think your dual review will help some people on the fence decide what sound signature is best for them.  
smile.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #9,682 of 22,960
Regarding "treble roll-off" of the SE846 (explained in detail in the comments section of my Ref.1 review), what has helped elevate my perceived high treble FR are these items (in no particular order):

1.  Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves

2.  Balanced amp/cable

3.  Headphone Lounge "Reference" Silver Litz Cable (SE)

4.  Modded Black (foam dampers removed) nozzle inserts/filters

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #9,683 of 22,960
Ahoy! After a while of lurking, I've decided to finally create an account!

I started my journey into better audio quality after looking into better over ear headphones.

The fellas over at Headroom helped me out and I went along with the ATH-M50.

It was paired with my Samsung P3 (which I still use, btw).

Then I went along and upgraded, with their recommendation, to the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

Lo and behold, I finally got my hands on the SE846 and all I have to say is wow.

The sound is incredible. What I love about the COPs is present in the SE846.

I can customize the sound to fit my needs. These IEMs are so versatile. I'm in love.

Now I need to find a suitable replacement for my P3 to enjoy these babies to their fullest.

So many choices. . .

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #9,684 of 22,960

IE800:
The clearest of the two IEMs. Bass is quite detailed and present, but doesn't excel in the sub-bass regions as the SE846s. The mids aren't as forward as the SE846s, but produce vocals that are mind-bogglingly realistic. Treble is liquid gold. Highs are quite accentuated, but at times, to a harsh degree. Sibilance can sometimes be heard, though after getting used to it, they aren't as bad as it once was. The only complaint I have here is the microphonics, though if you're buying these for use on the gym or in a crowded subway station, you'd be better off getting the SE846s. These have two bass ports that let ambient noise in. The IE800s are just like its big brother in terms of soundstage and audio reproduction. It is the most natural sounding of the two. As stated, Sennheiser made the mids not as forward as the SE846s, which I felt was a great move. Never do I feel the bass overwhelming the rest of the piece, either.

SE846s:

In conclusion,

Just my two cents.

Totally agree with this. I recently got the ie800 to compare and got the same conclusions. It was so hard to choose, they are both have what the other is missing, just crazy. Merging them together would be the perfect IEM.

I listen to a lot of rock music and while doing my comparison, the se846 mids and subwoofer just kills the ie800, kills it dead. The rock genre really makes their colors come out. With the ie800 you hear the instrument clarity and separation. With the se846 you hear in your face vocals and the guitar power. To me, the se846 more captures the real life feel, so that's what made the decision for me.

I still admire the ie800 for which it is, in a technical-sense it's an amazing IEM. For analytical listeners, it's the way to go. But to me, if you want to be "moved" by the music, se846 is the way to go.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #9,685 of 22,960

Any opinions of se846 with AK120II? would get from japan so could potentially go balanced. 

Unquote

I owned both SE846 and AK120 II for two months. I listen mostly Chinese Pop vocal songs WAV 16/44.1 (70%) , WAV 24/96 and upsampled 24/96 (25%) and DSD64 (5%). First I use the stock cable with blue filter (neutral), bass is not that great and treble is kind of harsh. Then I use ALO balanced copper cable. SQ improved with deeper and more impactful subbass and smooth treble and a better soundstage, a darker blackground. The most I liked is the sweet and clear female vocal sounds, like the sounds from the old Shure V type turntable cartridge which I missed. I never go back to headphone output (3.5MM) and strictly used balanced 2.5MM output to SE846. When doing house and garden work , I will use the Beoplay portable speaker by bluetooth of AK120 II. For me I don't use the microSD card, all my music is stored in the 128GB internal storage as I don't want to wait for the scan time of SD card (10 sec) everytime when the unit is turned on.
Hope this will help your decision.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #9,686 of 22,960
I still admire the ie800 for which it is, in a technical-sense it's an amazing IEM. For analytical listeners, it's the way to go. But to me, if you want to be "moved" by the music, se846 is the way to go.

Agreed. The IE800s are very sterile sounding and don't nearly have as much personality as the SE846s. Even though I prefer the IE800s to the SE846s, I love both of them equally to pieces, so me "preferring" one over the other is pretty much just me saying that I tend to find myself reaching for the IE800s more so than the SE846s. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #9,687 of 22,960
Regarding "treble roll-off" of the SE846 (explained in detail in the comments section of my Ref.1 review), what has helped elevate my perceived high treble FR are these items (in no particular order):

1.  Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves

2.  Balanced amp/cable

3.  Headphone Lounge "Reference" Silver Litz Cable (SE)

4.  Modded Black (foam dampers removed) nozzle inserts/filters

Moedawg my friend,

It has been a long time since I modified my filters but is your conclusion the modded black has more treble then the stock white filters?

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #9,688 of 22,960
Moedawg my friend,

It has been a long time since I modified my filters but is your conclusion the modded black has more treble then the stock white filters?

Hey Spook, nice to hear from you!

My conclusion is that the modded black has slightly more smoother treble, but I would imagine going full afterburner (as you have done) would open up the treble capabilities even more so.  I haven't gone full afterburner because I wanted at least a baffle in the nozzle to protect from dirt/dander/sweat, etcetera, since I do workout using the SE846 from time to time. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #9,689 of 22,960
Thanks Moe. I have not gone with full afterburners for months. I found while is was the most resolving of the choices it was very fatiguing with a Cirrus Logic DAC and the Lightning I am now trying it again but through the Burr Brown Intruder DAC. I will let you know.

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #9,690 of 22,960
Ok just went white filters with chord Hugo. Wow, what a literally cracking change. This made everything so sharp, punctuated and clear. Louder and more distinct, I had no idea. Granted im hearing recording hiss more with this acuity, now having said all that do i like it? Bass seems just as deep just more defined, vocals clear, snare drum cracking like twigs breaking after being dried out for a season. Yup sounds good. But I'm playing things on lower volume settings, you can really blow your brains out on the chord with whites. I shouldn't have been worried about changing those things, now I got a whole lot of testing to be done. I hope they are not fatiguing as the blues sure we're not.
Happy listening folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back