Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #9,033 of 22,960
Silver for a little more bright sound with a hint of more detail,copper for musicality.
if you want musicality with silver you can get silver litz :D

Or to confuse completly you can get silver Litz with copper infused 8 braid. Granted it's a bunch of cash.

DHC Symbiote "Fusion" IEM Cable

True Hybrid Peptide 25.2awg Cryo Litz -- Pure OCC silver + Pure OCC copper
V2 Next-generation Model with Type 4 Litz

I like some muscularity is all im saying.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #9,034 of 22,960
Or to confuse completly you can get silver Litz with copper infused 8 braid. Granted it's a bunch of cash.

DHC Symbiote "Fusion" IEM Cable

True Hybrid Peptide 25.2awg Cryo Litz -- Pure OCC silver + Pure OCC copper
V2 Next-generation Model with Type 4 Litz

I like some muscularity is all im saying.

If you're an audio purist you wouldn't fall into the hybrid wiring!! Haha :p

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #9,035 of 22,960
I have tried 8 different MMCX cables for the SE846, not including the stock one.

Best sound: any pure silver cable. As a guy who never used to believe in cables all I can tell you is try to demo one. It wasn't until I heard it that I was like - that's it, I'm buying this. Even compared to a very high quality OCC copper cable, it's rather easy to tell it apart from the silver cable. It's a brighter sound and over time you will notice additional layers in the detailing (if you listen in quiet environments)

Best for portable: UE900 Remote cable, no competition here. Tried the Westone, Shure and cheap ebay remote cables and they don't come close to the UE. I'm a pure portable guy, so this is my favorite cable. Side note: it is the only MMCX cable I have tried that doesn't stiffen up when it's -10 to -30 outside. I hardly use my SE846 indoors lol.

Don't make the same mistake I did, of spending $700 on MMCX cables till I settled on one. Ask on the forums and make an informed decision before you buy. 

holy moly I didn't know they used the same kind of pin connecter because I tried using my custom wire for my se846s and it didn't work and I have like 2 ue900 cables lying around

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #9,036 of 22,960
So got a chance to put the Mk2 through its paces.

As I've said before, coming from the e07k, I feel like the overall bass came forward, that's what I noticed the most.  This is good because I felt like it was recessed with the e07k.  The sound out of the Mk2 is mostly neutral/balanced. In my ears, it leans a tad to the bright side.  To me, this is a good and bad thing.  The good is that the highs sound better (I can tell more detail), which is fantastic because I felt like this was the se846's weakest point.  But the bad is that female vocals sound too forward.  Evanescence is an example where this is unfavorable, because I want to hear the band just as well too.  It's not huge deal, it's just enough for me to tell.  Bear in mind though that I am pretty sensitive to higher frequencies.

One thing I do like in my sound signature is sub-bass.  This is what made me choose the se846, because of the "true subwoofer" feature.  While the Mk2 brought in the overall bass, I felt like I was still missing enough sub-bass to make me satisfied.  Fortunately, I looking around the sound settings of the Mk2 on my PC, I noticed a "bass boost" option.  I was mixed about touching it, because I just wanted more sub-bass, not overall bass.  There was plenty of punchy mid-bass already, I didn't want more of that.  But!  I found that it gives you control of what frequency to boost.  This is freakin fantastic.  I up'ed the 50Hz frequency a few dB and boom (literally), I got what I needed.  So I'm a happy camper now.

To sum up, I am pretty satisfied with my purchase.  Everything sounds great, feel like I got my moneys worth most definitely.  The gripe I discussed above is only a minor one, and might only be a gripe to ears like mine.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #9,037 of 22,960
  So got a chance to put the Mk2 through its paces.

As I've said before, coming from the e07k, I feel like the overall bass came forward, that's what I noticed the most.  This is good because I felt like it was recessed with the e07k.  The sound out of the Mk2 is mostly neutral/balanced. In my ears, it leans a tad to the bright side.  To me, this is a good and bad thing.  The good is that the highs sound better (I can tell more detail), which is fantastic because I felt like this was the se846's weakest point.  But the bad is that female vocals sound too forward.  Evanescence is an example where this is unfavorable, because I want to hear the band just as well too.  It's not huge deal, it's just enough for me to tell.  Bear in mind though that I am pretty sensitive to higher frequencies.

One thing I do like in my sound signature is sub-bass.  This is what made me choose the se846, because of the "true subwoofer" feature.  While the Mk2 brought in the overall bass, I felt like I was still missing enough sub-bass to make me satisfied.  Fortunately, I looking around the sound settings of the Mk2 on my PC, I noticed a "bass boost" option.  I was mixed about touching it, because I just wanted more sub-bass, not overall bass.  There was plenty of punchy mid-bass already, I didn't want more of that.  But!  I found that it gives you control of what frequency to boost.  This is freakin fantastic.  I up'ed the 50Hz frequency a few dB and boom (literally), I got what I needed.  So I'm a happy camper now.

To sum up, I am pretty satisfied with my purchase.  Everything sounds great, feel like I got my moneys worth most definitely.  The gripe I discussed above is only a minor one, and might only be a gripe to ears like mine.

Thanks for this. I've narrowed my choice between the MK2 and the Onkyo DAC-HA200. Anyone have experience with pairing the SE846 with the latter?

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #9,039 of 22,960
How's the overall experience with the dx90 paired with these? I'm looking at the dx90 and x5

Stonkingly good with both X5 and DX90. For me, perfect.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #9,040 of 22,960
  I have tried 8 different MMCX cables for the SE846, not including the stock one.

Best sound: any pure silver cable. As a guy who never used to believe in cables all I can tell you is try to demo one. It wasn't until I heard it that I was like - that's it, I'm buying this. Even compared to a very high quality OCC copper cable, it's rather easy to tell it apart from the silver cable. It's a brighter sound and over time you will notice additional layers in the detailing (if you listen in quiet environments)

Best for portable: UE900 Remote cable, no competition here. Tried the Westone, Shure and cheap ebay remote cables and they don't come close to the UE. I'm a pure portable guy, so this is my favorite cable. Side note: it is the only MMCX cable I have tried that doesn't stiffen up when it's -10 to -30 outside. I hardly use my SE846 indoors lol.

Don't make the same mistake I did, of spending $700 on MMCX cables till I settled on one. Ask on the forums and make an informed decision before you buy. 

I'm still trying to locate these in Canada or for someplace that will ship to Canada. For some reason they seem hard to locate from Logitech

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #9,042 of 22,960
It's the cable. Try the other stock cable, you'll see that it's tight. Over time, the gap in the locking ring (on the cable MMCX side) starts grinding away at the side walls of the groove in which it spins. This makes it so the locking ring now sits in a wider crevice on the cable MMCX side and has more wiggle room, or play, which translates to the SE846 having more wiggle room or play. My silver cable has this and it's pretty bad because I had a bad habit of spinning the MMCX endlessly in the SE846 when I was studying, just gotta get those connectors replaced =P

The only way to prevent this is to try not to spin the MMCX connectors inside the IEM's too much. If you wanna go to extremes you can take out the MMCX locking rings and file down the edges in the gap ends but meh nobody got time for dat. It would only slow down the process, not stop it. Metal on metal contact without lubricant = it's gonna wear out that's life. I've probably swapped my cables 100 times on a single pair of SE846 and a fresh brand new cable is still as tight and snug as the first day I got the 8's. They also hold up very well in -30 degree weather lol. These things are tanks!

IF the female jacks are truly worn out on the 8's you should have Shure replace them or buy the ADL iHP-35M cable which will clamp on to your SE846 with the death grip. Very strong locking force, amazing cable with zero wiggle whatsoever.
I tested the other stock cable. It's also a loose connection and loses signal when wiggling the connection. The looseness is in the IEM. The stock cables used to be tight. I never had this problem with my SE535, SE535-LTD and I've also used the SE846 for ages. The problem occurred once I used the 3rd party balanced cable that has an extremely tight connector. The balanced cable's connector loosened the SE846's connector irreversibly. Now, I can't use the IEM while jogging. It keeps losing signal. Is there a way to tighten it again? Like heating it and pressing it tighter without breaking the metal? For a $1000 IEM, I don't want to risk fatiguing the metal, causing it to break. I didn't buy it directly from Shure, but from eBaY. I'll check out the ADL iHP-35M.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #9,043 of 22,960

I'm still trying to locate these in Canada or for someplace that will ship to Canada. For some reason they seem hard to locate from Logitech

Canada is difficult for specialty iem and headphone cables. If you live in toronto there is a store North Yonge St called headphone shop that supplies some cables, but no online that I know of. I order from the USA. ALO is one double helix another, you can google. Fortunately I bought when cad was .90....

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #9,044 of 22,960
Canada is difficult for specialty iem and headphone cables. If you live in toronto there is a store North Yonge St called headphone shop that supplies some cables, but no online that I know of. I order from the USA. ALO is one double helix another, you can google. Fortunately I bought when cad was .90....

Thanks I was specifically looking for the UE 900 cable with the mic and controls (the blue one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back