Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #5,911 of 22,960

Another tip. If you have any songs you can't find, you can put them into the desktop app as local files. Then, if you want to have them on mobile, make a playlist (I call mine "Local Keepers"), and sync that to your phone. Boom, now ALL your music is available.

I do not like syncing my phone because I want to have full control of how I add music, so what I use is an app called Tonido, as I use that to move files back and forth from my iPhone 5 to my home computer/server.  Tonido also has its own Media player as well, so you can download the songs you have from your computer/server to your phone, and then play those songs directly on the player.

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #5,912 of 22,960
  Has their been a dynamic that can reach to a high level of performance? I haven't heard the FX850 so I cannot say how well it performs, but people have said the bass is too much.  Dynamic driver I liked was EX-1000, but you can't isolated it to much or you lose the airy sound out of it.  The trend right now seems to be dynamic mixed with dual BA.  I guess the BA drivers provide more accuracy for treble, but the dynamics perform well for bass.

I'll tell you this:  The IE800 in my opinion does not perform as well as the SE846 in the bass department.  I'm pretty sure that SomeGuyDude can confirm this for me as well.

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #5,913 of 22,960

I'll tell you this:  The IE800 in my opinion does not perform as well as the SE846 in the bass department.  I'm pretty sure that SomeGuyDude can confirm this for me as well.

IMO it doesn't do ANYTHING as well as the SE846. The mids felt flat, the highs were metallic, the bass was feeble. Quite literally the only people I think would like the IE800 are people who ONLY like the IE800. 

I readily admit that my IEM experience is less than robust, but having tried the SE535, SE846, Nuforce Primo 8, IE800, plus a slew of sub-$100 IEMs, I really can say with confidence the IE800 was my least favorite. Now despite that these were taken brand new out of a box for me and I gave it an honest try (not terribly long, admittedly), I'm willing to concede that maybe I just had a really bad unit, but wow. The seal was fine, but the sound was NOT. 

I'm not saying it was BAD necessarily, it was just so STRANGE. They sounded NOTHING like anything I've heard before. Like, if I had to explain what the SE846 sounds like, I'd say it's like listening to an amplified live performance. It doesn't sound like acoustic raw instruments, it sounds like being at a concert where the music is playing. The Primo 8, from my memory, really did sound like sitting in a room with the instruments.

The IE800? I don't even know. It was like listening to someone completely remixing and remastering the music. Like the album was given the "Sennheiser IE800 treatment". 

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #5,915 of 22,960
  Did you try the klipsch double flange narrow bore?  I like those.  They are as comfy as the small green silicon Star tips I normally use.

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Size-Replacement-Klipsch-Headphones/dp/B00F4LEULU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410038430&sr=1-2&keywords=klipsch+tips

I can already tell those would be uncomfortable. These are the double flanges that make everything better. = http://www.meelec.com/v/vspfiles/photos/TipSet3-BF35N-MRG-BK-2.jpg

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #5,917 of 22,960
IE800 was the least impressive price to performance ratio IEM/Headphone I've used. Hit or miss lately with Sennheiser. My favorites will always be the IE8. Should have never sold it for the IE80, even though I still adore the IE80. 

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #5,918 of 22,960
Sep 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #5,921 of 22,960
@moedawg140-I was searching for your review on the sensaphonics, with no luck. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction? TIA

Uh...it is right below every post I post - on my signature.

Here's the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/review-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #5,922 of 22,960
  I own the IE8 and have never heard the IE800. However, to be fair to the IE800, there appears to be 2 different versions with two dramatically different frequency response curves (see InnerFidelity).

That isn't fair for sure, and only to one party...the consumer...

To create two different versions without applying any revision tags (i.e. LCD2.1 or LCD2.2?, ASG2 or ASG2.5?..etc) is unacceptable, shows a lack of quality control. How will you know whether you are buying one frequency vs another? 

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #5,923 of 22,960
  That isn't fair for sure, and only to one party...the consumer...

To create two different versions without applying any revision tags (i.e. LCD2.1 or LCD2.2?, ASG2 or ASG2.5?..etc) is unacceptable, shows a lack of quality control. How will you know whether you are buying one frequency vs another? 

I'll give the ASG a pass because they're clearly labeled, but the LCD-2 drives me nuts, especially with the Fazor addition, because there's no way to know which one you're buying unless the person selling it assures you it is what it is. If you're going to re-do a headphone, just give it a new dang name.

Gotta give Shure credit for that. Update the SE530? 535! VModa does the same. Upgrade the M80, call it the XS even though it's almost exactly the same but with new hinges. 

I also dislike it when brands upgrade their products constantly because I, as a consumer, don't feel confident in purchasing new. Why would I buy a new set of [whatever] when in three months you'll re-do it?

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #5,924 of 22,960

I'll give the ASG a pass because they're clearly labeled, but the LCD-2 drives me nuts, especially with the Fazor addition, because there's no way to know which one you're buying unless the person selling it assures you it is what it is. If you're going to re-do a headphone, just give it a new dang name.

Gotta give Shure credit for that. Update the SE530? 535! VModa does the same. Upgrade the M80, call it the XS even though it's almost exactly the same but with new hinges. 

I also dislike it when brands upgrade their products constantly because I, as a consumer, don't feel confident in purchasing new. Why would I buy a new set of [whatever] when in three months you'll re-do it?

Exactly. I agree extra with having to release revisions too close to each other. Shows a lack of development, quality and confidence in the product/company. 

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #5,925 of 22,960

I honestly don't think it's possible for any single driver system to match multi-driver. I mean there's a damn reason home theater systems are multiple speakers. Why car audio separates between sub/mids/tweeters. TBH I don't even think the best single driver OVER ears have that level of separation. It's not a BA vs dynamic thing either. I think any driver TYPE can work, it's all in application.

Now what I -am- curious to try are high-end hybrid systems because as impressive as the SE846 is, I would love to see what a dynamic driver can do in a proper BA system. I know that the BA in the Final Audio PH6 makes the whole thing crazy beautiful. 

The HD800 is able to deliver alot seperation with only 1 driver. And dynamic drivers aren't necessary better seeing how the Shure SE846 even wins against high end full sized dynamic headphones.

But I suppose a multi driver systems can potentially be better since every part of the spectrum can be tweaked to it's full potential while a single driver has to be tweaked to sound good over the entire spectrum. So there is less room for optimization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back