Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #3,931 of 22,960
  Personally I use the straight out of an iphone 5 and they sound excellent - I think your source files should be 320 but that's just IMHO. They are certainly good without an amp  - no idea re the Logitech speakers. As far as the cable goes, you can read tons of reviews, probably 90% are done with the stock cables. I honestly don't think the cables are an issue at all, Are worried about the sound or ergonmics? If these didn't sound first rate with the stock cables compared to third party cables, I think you'd hear more about it. I don't dismiss cables being able to improve sound but come on, the stock cables are very good with almost all all top tier iem's , the ie 800 cables have been criticized much more than the others due to fit and microphonics

Thanks for the reply!! I ask because I read that a lot of people in this thread were seeing improvements from changing the stock cables that come with the 846, and I wasn't sure if the 846 would even sound good with out an external amp/dac.

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #3,934 of 22,960
  846 sound fine with stock cable out of iPhone or like source.  However, they are sensitive and I would imagine that their might be noise coming from the logitech setup.  If that is a deal breaker parameter, I would purchase from a  store with a great return policy.  I learned the hard way about hiss from my Note 3 due to impedance miss match.  If you need me to check, I have the Z906 store in my attic i can bring down and test.

All that being said, I think the iPod touch 5th gen dac sounds better than the iPhone 5 or 5s.  Second, while an external amp like the RSA products can improve dynamics, the big reason is to go balanced.  With silver litz and balanced cables, I see a DRAMATIC improvement in sound.  

Finally, I won't try to dissuade you from IEMs but You have given quite a range of products with different house sounds.  I have 2 of them (846 and W60).  Have you considered picking up 535LTD or W40 as a starting point?  There is a bigger market for these and you might be able to find them used so you can hone in exactly what you want in an IEM.

Good luck.

I plan on ordering it from amazon and I think they have a great return policy so ill make sure to look out for any noise coming from my speakers. I imagine that their would be a dramatic improvement from using an external amp and balanced cables but at the moment I'm only willing to spend money on some really good iem's. Maybe down the road ill buy a good amp and balanced cables but right now I cant see myself doing so since I'm already pushing it with spending $1000 on iems. I was actually thinking on trying the 535ltd or the w40's but they are no longer being considered since I'm able to buy a more expensive iem and because the 846 is supposedly better in many ways than the 535ltd. From all the headphones I mentioned I ended up liking the VISO HP50 because of its neutral somewhat warm sound, my second favorite were the momentums (over ear) because it had a neutral sound as well but wasn't as good as the HP50 in my opinion. I'm not a bass head, I like hearing my music clearly, and maybe with some bass but not too much that it overpowers everything else.

Absolutely you should.  At 9 ohms they were designed to be used without an amp and I think sound better unamped than amped.  And, no, I don't think Shure would design a $1,200 IEM with a garbage cable either.  It's fine.

That's a relief, thanks for the reply!!

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #3,935 of 22,960
Updated the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue review with impressions of the "full shells" after a couple of weeks use, and added a few 'sweaty' photos as well, for kicks.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #3,936 of 22,960
Help please!

Does anyone know how farm down the little foam peices are suppose to be in the neutral filter? (blue) I know the white one has no foam and the black ones have the foam right at the top, so I am assuming the blue is suppose to be in the middle of the tube or something? The foam fell out while I was changing filters. :frowning2:

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #3,937 of 22,960
  Help please!

Does anyone know how farm down the little foam peices are suppose to be in the neutral filter? (blue) I know the white one has no foam and the black ones have the foam right at the top, so I am assuming the blue is suppose to be in the middle of the tube or something? The foam fell out while I was changing filters. :frowning2:

The foam piece (damper) goes at the top and slides down and inside the filter until the top of the damper meets the tip of the filter.  As shown below:

I wound up intentionally removing the dampers from the black filters, as I like the sound from that the best (sounds similar or may be the same as the white filter).  Coupled with the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves, auditory bliss has been met.  That is until I try the Hugo, that is. 

Hope this helps.  Good luck. 
etysmile.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #3,938 of 22,960
wouldn't that be the same as the black one though? I am pretty sure the filter color means nothing as they seem to be all the same, it's just color coordinated.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3,939 of 22,960
  wouldn't that be the same as the black one though? I am pretty sure the filter color means nothing as they seem to be all the, it's just color coordinated.

You're welcome.

To tell you the truth, I am not sure.  There is a post on this thread that talks about the black filter modding, and the poster noticed a difference between the white filter and the black modded filter.  I didn't A/B demo both long enough because I did not want to take on and off my Sensaphonics custom sleeves too many times (and didn't want to use the sizes-fit-all silicone/comply tips anymore either).  You can demo them yourself if you don't mind taking out the black filter dampers, and make the determination on your own. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #3,940 of 22,960
Hmm, thanks for the help. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Just from a visual inspection all the filters look the same except for color.

I was under the assumption that:

white: no foam
black: foam at tip
blue: foam in middle/bottom (not sure)

I guess I can also contact shure and see what they say

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #3,941 of 22,960
Hmm, thanks for the help. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Just from a visual inspection all the filters look the same except for color.

I was under the assumption that:

white: no foam
black: foam at tip
blue: foam in middle/bottom (not sure)

I guess I can also contact shure and see what they say

Moedawg is correct. The white filter has no acoustical foam while BOTH the blue and black filter have the acoustical foam at the end/tip of the filter.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #3,942 of 22,960
what is the difference between the black and blue filters then that cause the -2.5db  from 1-8khz?  There must be some difference or they would sound the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back