Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #3,886 of 22,960
If you find the 846 too "in your face" I would definitely avoid the IE800.  The top end is a bit overly pronounced for my taste and there's a mid-bass bump.

On the plus side they sound good out of pretty much everything and don't seem to suffer from any impedance issues with their source.

They sound pretty darn good I can't hate on them at all as a matter of fact I'm "still" waiting to get my new pair back that was sent to me being how I brought the shures to see which ones I really liked the most I love both but I do find I'm missing the dynamic drivers I love the mids and bass of the Shure but I do miss that Sennheiser sound especially on the lower end to me it's very nice and sounded great paired with the AK240 .....but then again the shures do too just sound a little closed in to me but all the more personal experience ....iE800 I think would've been perfect for most if the cable was a little longer on the top end and detachable for over the ear as this is how I wear mine and don't have a problem with fit think this is why I liked them as much as I did too very small, compact and big sound...IEM are getting too big for my taste were moving forward into the future and some IEMs are just getting too large...

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #3,890 of 22,960
Sweet sound BUT Man I am getting old I have heard of none of these bands. Still hope for the future. No cognitive dissonance when I hear them. - Porcupine warrants investigation Really like Blackest Eyes.

Worse still they date back to '87 What how did I miss them. That is just a plain gap in my musical knowledge base. I know someone who is getting a beating for this oversight.....

SMITHERS!!!! Get in here now!!

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #3,893 of 22,960
Sweet sound BUT Man I am getting old I have heard of none of these bands. Still hope for the future. No cognitive dissonance when I hear them. - Porcupine warrants investigation Really like Blackest Eyes.

Worse still they date back to '87 What how did I miss them. That is just a plain gap in my musical knowledge base. I know someone who is getting a beating for this oversight.....

SMITHERS!!!! Get in here now!!

Monty,

I know how you feel. I am 47 and love prog rock since I was a kid. My first album was Close to the Edge by Yes. Inexplicably, I was away from music until a couple of years ago and when I got back into it I built my catalog of all the classic prog (Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis...). I was depressed thinking great prog had died in about 1975 and then I discovered modern prog. Wow a serious revelation.

Steven Wilson is the modern Robert Fripp. Hell Alan Parsons came out of 30+ of retirement as an engineer to mix "The Raven that Refused to Sing" Steven Wilson's last solo album in 2013. Another suggestion is Riverside, a brilliant Polish prog band, give "Second Life Syndrome" a listen. If you like a little edge, Opeth's "Harlequin Forest" off Ghost Revelries is brilliant. Last if you like symphonic prog try Transatlantic's "A Stranger in Your Soul" off Bridge Across Forever".

I think modern prog is greater, yes greater, than the classic era except for Genesis and Pink Floyd.

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #3,896 of 22,960
Gavin Harrison (also listen to the last two OSI albums and the last The Tangent album Le Sacre du Travail) and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater, Transatlantic, the first two OSI albums and Neal Morse's solo work) are brilliant drummers through the ears of the 846.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #3,897 of 22,960

See this is what I get for tuning out from CFNY 102.1 in Toronto in the mid 80s and switched to the Classic Rock station if and when I listened to FM. At that point I had quite the systems built into my cars (everything hidden away) and was all CD all the time (stateof the art 1987-93

For the Record CFNY 102.1 is the Alternative Rock/Music station in Toronto going back to the mid 70s. It was 102.1 that gave Airplay to bands like Rush and others that did not fit into format. And they continue to this day as 102.1 The Edge.

I am just soo removed from it the "new" at this point but clearly I have 25 years of catch up to do. 

Intersting bit of Trivia RUSH's song Spirit of Radio is actually an homage/written about CFNY 102.1 I S**T you not

FROM WIKI (For you Trivia buffs)
... but it was also in 1978 that new wave and punk rock emerged as dominant forms of popular music — and so the station became known as one of the few commercial stations at the time which played alternative music.

The Spirit of Radio
During this period, the station began using The Spirit of Radio as a promotional catchphrase. In turn, listeners of the station began to refer to CFNY as The Spirit of Radio. Canadian band Rush was unable to obtain airplay on radio stations other than CFNY early in their career, and in 1979 wrote the song "The Spirit of Radio" about the station. Unable to mention CFNY directly for fear of alienating airplay on other stations, the band instead ensured the catalog number for their album Permanent Waves was 1021 - a nod to the station's 102.1 FM frequency.

Neil Peart no slouch with a kit himself. How Many other Drummers are Officers of the Order of Canada or their countries equivalent (might have been a slow year).

At the end it is the music that Fuels the 8s.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #3,898 of 22,960

See this is what I get for tuning out from CFNY 102.1 in Toronto in the mid 80s and switched to the Classic Rock station if and when I listened to FM. At that point I had quite the systems built into my cars (everything hidden away) and was all CD all the time (stateof the art 1987-93

For the Record CFNY 102.1 is the Alternative Rock/Music station in Toronto going back to the mid 70s. It was 102.1 that gave Airplay to bands like Rush and others that did not fit into format. And they continue to this day as 102.1 The Edge.

I am just soo removed from it the "new" at this point but clearly I have 25 years of catch up to do. 

Intersting bit of Trivia RUSH's song Spirit of Radio is actually an homage/written about CFNY 102.1 I S**T you not

FROM WIKI (For you Trivia buffs)
... but it was also in 1978 that new wave and punk rock emerged as dominant forms of popular music — and so the station became known as one of the few commercial stations at the time which played alternative music.

The Spirit of Radio
During this period, the station began using The Spirit of Radio as a promotional catchphrase. In turn, listeners of the station began to refer to CFNY as The Spirit of Radio. Canadian band Rush was unable to obtain airplay on radio stations other than CFNY early in their career, and in 1979 wrote the song "The Spirit of Radio" about the station. Unable to mention CFNY directly for fear of alienating airplay on other stations, the band instead ensured the catalog number for their album Permanent Waves was 1021 - a nod to the station's 102.1 FM frequency.

Neil Peart no slouch with a kit himself. How Many other Drummers are Officers of the Order of Canada or their countries equivalent (might have been a slow year).

At the end it is the music that Fuels the 8s.

I love RUSH seen them 7 times.

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #3,899 of 22,960
I used to love Rush as well. I know song "YYZ" is an homage to Toronto as it is the airport code for Pearson International. Named for one of the greatest Canadians, father of the UN peacekeepers, Nobel Peace Prize winner and prime minister.

I have seen Rush 3 times in concert starting with Hemispheres then Permanent Waves and finally Moving Picture tours. If I could just stand Geddy's voice through a Shure IEM.

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,900 of 22,960
I used to love Rush as well. I know song "YYZ" is an homage to Toronto as it is the airport code for Pearson International. Named for one of the greatest Canadians, father of the UN peacekeepers, Nobel Peace Prize winner and prime minister.

I have seen Rush 3 times in concert starting with Hemispheres then Permanent Waves and finally Moving Picture tours. If I could just stand Geddy's voice through a Shure IEM.

Guess you will need a Westone for RUSH tunes then come back to Shure for Yes, ELP, and genesis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back