Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #2,671 of 22,960
It is no more difficult than assembling a happy meal toy. Do not get the fuss or why assistance is required, unless there is a personal reason which is fair enough.

The filters have one side which is not even, make sure lined up and push into the nozzle until it is flush. When screwing nozzle back onto earpiece see flush against the body. If not then you need to redo

May 22, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,672 of 22,960
Nope, it's definitely design defect or a construction oversight. I didn't even change my filters this time because another user said the possibility of the rubber seal wearing out so I just left it as is. Sure enough after several inserts the right iem started creaking.

There's also zero possibly of someone messing up the filter change, the nozzle have different size notches that will only fall into the same size, and even if someone were to mess up they wouldn't be able to secure the ring even half way through.

There's already been several users reporting the same issue, time will tell if more cases appear.

May 22, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #2,674 of 22,960
DX90 + SE846s = excellent, excellent combo!!

May 22, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #2,675 of 22,960
vkalia: Better than the Ak100? Having read the relevant AK threads and the amount of consumer disillusionment regarding regular product reviews, I feel somewhat dissuaded from that particular brand.

Fair enough it's all about making as much money as one can while one can, but on the surface it looks like a cynical rip off. A RWAK modification would be nice, but my resources (and patience) have somewhat restraining limitations.

Unfortunately my. Brother is on the other side of the country, otherwise I would try his DX50 to get a sense of how iBasso handles the SE846.

For mine, source, cable amp - or cable, source, possibly amp seems the way to go in coaxing out that little bit of extra magic from the Shures. A high capacity DAP with 24-bit audio playback would be very nice indeed.

May 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #2,676 of 22,960
I have had the Shure SE535's for about 3 years now & with the SE846's out I think its time for an upgrade. 

The problem is I really am not fond of the clear style of the 846's. I much rather prefer the bronze coating of the 535's.

Does anyone think there will be another colour choice or has there been any speculation on it?
Or should I get the clear SE856's this weekend?

Thanks alot

May 22, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #2,677 of 22,960

I think it depends on how you use the setup, personally I use my S4 straight into 846 using n7player, for everyday usage, walking around etc, I don't notice enough to justify carrying my ibasso D10 around. Plus I just got my silver plated cable with android control today, I prefer the ability to skips songs/answer phone without taking out my phone, than the slightly bigger soundstage and cleaner sound with an amp on the go.

Otherwise I have read the DX90 is worth a try.

Please let us know how you like that cable! Still an upgrade over stock with the Android controller? 

May 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #2,678 of 22,960
The se 846 are a gem and worth every penny! I 114% love their sound and they way they look. My beloved ASG-2 have been side line sense I found the 846. Now I am anxiously waiting for my new DHC fusion cable to touchdown!

May 22, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #2,679 of 22,960

I think it depends on how you use the setup, personally I use my S4 straight into 846 using n7player, for everyday usage, walking around etc, I don't notice enough to justify carrying my ibasso D10 around. Plus I just got my silver plated cable with android control today, I prefer the ability to skips songs/answer phone without taking out my phone, than the slightly bigger soundstage and cleaner sound with an amp on the go.

The DX90 looks nice and is feature rich.  Has built in amp, DAC and EQ, touch screen, etc.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your cables and how much were they. Just got my Shure mobile cables in and am not real happy with them.  But, they were only 37.00. 

Kind of a dilemma for me - I am able to listen to music all day due to my occupation, but I am on the phone quite a bit throughout the day.  I'd have to keep unplugging from iBasso and plug into the S4.

Thanks for the info and advice.

May 22, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #2,680 of 22,960
  I have had the Shure SE535's for about 3 years now & with the SE846's out I think its time for an upgrade. 

The problem is I really am not fond of the clear style of the 846's. I much rather prefer the bronze coating of the 535's.

Does anyone think there will be another colour choice or has there been any speculation on it?
Or should I get the clear SE856's this weekend?

Thanks alot

Just buy them.  TODAY.  You wont regret it.

Odd, though.  Most everyone raves about their hi tech looks - me being one of them.  But, you are the one that has to live with them.  Looks aside, clear or not, it is money well spent.  Out with the old, in with the new.

May 22, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #2,682 of 22,960

Why not the DX50?  Looks good as well for a lot less money.  Has a lot of the same features I am looking for.  Don't know anything about opamp rolling, etc.  Just looking to play MP3s through the 846s.

May 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #2,683 of 22,960

Odd, though.  Most every raves about there hi tech looks - me being one of them.  But, you are the one that has to live with them.  Looks aside, clear or not, it is money well spent.  Out with the old, in with the new.

The 535's bronze have a touch of class with them & it looks amazing unlike anything I've seen before.
Your exactly right with the 846's in the fact they look techy which I'm not really a fan of  but I'm sure they look different in person. Have to check them out myself at my local shop this weekend. 

May 22, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #2,684 of 22,960

Why not the DX50?  Looks good as well for a lot less money.  Has a lot of the same features I am looking for.  Don't know anything about opamp rolling, etc.  Just looking to play MP3s through the 846s.

From what I can tell from the X5 thread, many prefer it over the DX50. Any pairing with the 846s will need to be made with the high sensitivity of the 846 in mind. Be on the lookout for any mention of hiss in DAP, amp or DAC/amp reviews. The iDSD was a poor match due to hiss. The GO 450 was a much better match for these IEMs in my experience. 

May 23, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #2,685 of 22,960

Odd, though.  Most every raves about there hi tech looks - me being one of them.  But, you are the one that has to live with them.  Looks aside, clear or not, it is money well spent.  Out with the old, in with the new.

With the SE846 in, I feel as though I am a damn sight better looking than anybody on the tram! :p

As for a good source, I suppose it's not urgent, however I do not want to splash big bucks and win in greater portable storage but lose in having something far removed from the presentation of SE846 + iDevice or Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back