Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #2,521 of 22,960
Is the Ipod 5.5g with Rockbox and flac files a decent enough source for the SE846s? I'm about about to pick up a pair, but this is all I have right now.

I use an iPhone 5, unamped, at present which sounds great. According to Spooky the touch sounds even better. I'm not sure about the Rockbox side of things (I use the regular music app and Golden Ear). . I would love to install it on my classic but it's a no go because it's a 7th generation.

May 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #2,522 of 22,960
I lost my SE846's on a flight (they were stolen, together with my iPad. I don't think the bugger understood that the phones he got were worth more than the iPad!!).

Anyway, surveyed the landscape (it's been 8 months since I started this thread), and tried the new FOTMs- including some of the much-hyped hybrids.

In the end, the ability to change filters, the comfort, the build quality, and well, that awesome sound brought me right back where I started- a new pair of Shure SE846s. Again.

I'm gonna spend a bit more time with the white filter this time. I used the blue filter pretty much exclusively the first time around, and this time out of curiosity am trying the white. Surprisingly, the quality of the bass is still obvious, but much less enveloping. Mids are lush as ever. May make a good configuration for non-music use (eg. playing games, watching movies, etc).

Wow, sorry to hear! Did you try to use Find my iPhone to track it down? I had my iPhone stolen but it was recovered thanks in part to FMI.

May 17, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #2,523 of 22,960
Wow, sorry to hear! Did you try to use Find my iPhone to track it down? I had my iPhone stolen but it was recovered thanks in part to FMI.

Good thing no sensitive data on there. But it was an iPad with no 3g (only wifi), and the person didn't turn on the Internet. I don't think I had find my ipad on either. Ah well, lesson learnt.

May 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #2,524 of 22,960
I have had my 846 since xmas day 2013 so am pretty familiar with them by know.
I use a double helix silver cable with them.
After almost five months I remain enchanted with them and always choose them over my alternatives of
Sennheiser IE800
Sennheiser HD800
Grado PS1000.

There really is something special about these iem's.

I was thinking of buying a Sennheiser HD800 since I'm using the Shure SE846 even at home now. But apparently the Sennheiser HD800 won't change that? 

May 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #2,525 of 22,960
^ Brutal. I willingly handed over my phone; it's a long story, but it's the safest and frankly sensible thing to do. One would have to seriously pull a knife on me to have me surrender my 846s though, especially given that my income is such that I would not be able to replace them without the help of an annual advance payment.

May 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #2,528 of 22,960
I was thinking of buying a Sennheiser HD800 since I'm using the Shure SE846 even at home now. But apparently the Sennheiser HD800 won't change that? 

The Sennheiser HD800 are great phones, however the 846 are so good why would you use the HD800?
That's the issue, I used to alternate my phones but since I got the 846 the only others I seem to use are my Final Audio Design FI BA SS.

May 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #2,530 of 22,960
No, I don't find this at all. I certainly do not dislike my HD800 I just think the 846 are so good.

To each their own.  I only liked the HD800 on one rig, the PWD2 and GS-X mk2.  Even then I'd never use it in place of the LCD-3 that I also had or even the 846 now.  Just too thin and compressed sounding for my liking.  It has the best staging of headphones I've heard on the right amp but I never found it detailed so much as flat.

May 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #2,531 of 22,960
I probably shouldn't ask this in this thread, but what headphone should I use for at home then? 

May 17, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #2,532 of 22,960
^ Brutal. I willingly handed over my phone; it's a long story, but it's the safest and frankly sensible thing to do. One would have to seriously pull a knife on me to have me surrender my 846s though, especially given that my income is such that I would not be able to replace them without the help of an annual advance payment.

Agreed. You can buy a new phone; you can't buy health. But like I said, the irony is this guy probably didn't know the shures were worth more than the iPad.

The timing is also lucky. As lucky as these things can be, anyway. I just got my yearly bonus. :)

May 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #2,533 of 22,960
  I probably shouldn't ask this in this thread, but what headphone should I use for at home then? 

The 846?  I sold my LCD-3 after spending a few months with both.  Just saying :wink:  I may at one point try a JH13fp but for now... 846.

May 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #2,535 of 22,960
So I've been doing a bit of reading, and it seems I may literally have a different 'new' SE846s from the ones I had previously? (I had basically the first set of pre-order pairs previously)...

What's the difference between the 'new' and the 'old'?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back