Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 14, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #2,431 of 22,946
Hey all

Shure UK don't do loaners of the se846. Anyone in London or SW England have a pair? I live in Bristol. 
Just chancing my arm that someone here could live near me and I could hook up for a coffee and check
them out. I own the er4s and considering some options...namely Ocharaku KURO, Dita answer and se846

Shoot me a PM if you are in London or SW. I get down to London time to time. Would be cool to chat general headfi. I also have the apex glacier dac amp which is an interesting listen

Cheers! 
Dan 

May 14, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #2,432 of 22,946
Try custom cable in west London
I would not think the 846 is suited for pure electronic synthesized "music" like K-Pop. Generally, K-pop has no real drums/percussion or bass guitar.

True tho the kpop I listen to uses fair amount of string samples. SE846 enhances everything and makes sound more refined

May 14, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #2,433 of 22,946
Yes, I got my new pair of 846's! Holy scnikeys they sound monumental !! Everything I am throwing at them , they are knocking it out of the park. I am not a huge fan of Rap, but I found myself listening to Lil Boozie , Incarcerate. So visceral ! Pounding subwoofer !! Then onto a little Jazz. Dave Grusin album called Dicovered Again. This recording is top notch, and really shows how the 846's can shine with fantastic instrument separation . If you want to test the bass/sub bass the album Mondo Head by the band Kodo really digs deep into the bass department . Then onto my my favorite type of music , Alt Rock/ Alt Folk. I've been listening to a new band called Mutual Benefit.
Their latest album Love's Crushing Diamond is a true masterpiece. Try the song Strong Swimmer to start. This band uses banjo and violins to create an euphoric musical experience. Here the Shure's show their great musicality, silly amount of detail retrieval , superb mid range , where the vocal harmonies will melt your soul. I'm flabbergasted really.
I'm listening with an iPhone 3 which I think are a bit warmer than my wife's iPhone 5.
Is this correct?
This is my first high end earphone . And my last!
Happy listening !! :)

May 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #2,435 of 22,946
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-CBL-M--K-EFS-Three-Button-Control/dp/B0043241X8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400042616&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+shure+cables+for+iphone
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-CBL-M-K-Remote-One-Button-Control/dp/B0047FS9Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400042699&sr=8-1&keywords=Shure+CBL-M
The iphone one doesn't work with android smartphones. I personally hate those cables because the connectors are L shaped and it doesn't fit right.

Just ordered them.  Thank you so much.

May 14, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #2,436 of 22,946
May 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #2,440 of 22,946
Yes, I got my new pair of 846's! Holy scnikeys they sound monumental !! Everything I am throwing at them , they are knocking it out of the park. I am not a huge fan of Rap, but I found myself listening to Lil Boozie , Incarcerate. So visceral ! Pounding subwoofer !! Then onto a little Jazz. Dave Grusin album called Dicovered Again. This recording is top notch, and really shows how the 846's can shine with fantastic instrument separation . If you want to test the bass/sub bass the album Mondo Head by the band Kodo really digs deep into the bass department . Then onto my my favorite type of music , Alt Rock/ Alt Folk. I've been listening to a new band called Mutual Benefit.
Their latest album Love's Crushing Diamond is a true masterpiece. Try the song Strong Swimmer to start. This band uses banjo and violins to create an euphoric musical experience. Here the Shure's show their great musicality, silly amount of detail retrieval , superb mid range , where the vocal harmonies will melt your soul. I'm flabbergasted really.
I'm listening with an iPhone 3 which I think are a bit warmer than my wife's iPhone 5.
Is this correct?
This is my first high end earphone . And my last!
Happy listening !! :)

Yep.  Know the feeling. 

Glad it worked out with sweetwater and all.  Sounds like you are in the music business now, and I am ecstatic happy for you.

These aren't my first top tier IEMs, and prob wont be my last, but it will be a good long time before I buy again (thank goodness). Like someone else said, this is and end stop for me.  Good thing, because they really busted my music budget to hell and back - but so worth every penny.

I imagine that sooner or later someone will come out with something else, maybe a hybrid, that tops the 846s, but I personally feel that will be sometime in coming.  I think the technical break throughs Shure has incorporated into the 846s will put them years ahead of anyone else and that everyone else is left playing 'catch up'.

But you know....sitting here thinking about it, even if someone does top the 846s, I don't even know if I will be all that interested.  If sound gets better than the 846s, it cannot be by much, and, for me personally, the 846s are as good as anything ever needs to sound.  I don't think I will be envying anyone anytime soon.  What's more, I cannot see the sound of the 846s ever becoming complacent.  I believe the wow factor will always be there.  They sound they produce is (to me) that overwhelming, and I am so very hard to please.

What's more is that the 846s are actually changing how I listen to music.  As previously stated, I am a hopeless basshead by nature yet I find myself constantly turning the bass down on the 846s because I want to focus on the wonderful mids and highs.  There are as stunning to me as the incredible bass.  The sound ssssoooo good, and the problem with that, they leave wanting more and more, so the volume keeps going up and up.  I really have to discipline myself with the E11 knob.  And, even the bass is turned way down from where I usually keep it, it is still very much present - as if to say "that's cool.  we understand.  just remember we're here is you need us".  And this is so out of character for me.  But I can see it as being a permanent change is my musical habits.  Then there are times that I am so concentrated on a harmonica or bagpipe part, along with vocals....just absorbing it all when I will remember there is bass as well and turn it up only to be dumb struck and overwhelmed by it all.

Amazing.

Because of my ongoing love affair with westone and future sonic products, I am no stranger to the best bass and mids/highs have to offer, yet I am constantly finding myself humbled by the 846s.  And now, after I have owned a pair for a few days, I can honestly say that these things have been underrated.  For all the applause and praise I have read for these things, I can see people are simply not clever enough with words to adequately describe them. I had super high expectations for them and every one of them have been exceeded.

And about the burn in period.....call it what you will, burn in, adjustment period - whatever.  These things have vastly improved since I first inserted them into my head.  At first, they were simply amazing, and I am very accustomed to being amazed, but today......I just don't have the words, even.  I'm speechless.

One last observation -

Anyone who would balk or complain about the price tag really doesn't deserve to own them.  Find a new past time.

May 14, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #2,442 of 22,946
I got my Litz cable from Ted Allen and i am so thrilled guys,it is out of this world good,such quality,846 sound like i never imagined possible,i already loved them with the stock,but this is heaven:)
Also got a small audio cable and made my amps shine beyond believe
One very happy customer:))))

May 14, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #2,443 of 22,946
I got my Litz cable from Tod Allen and i am so thrilled guys,it is out of this world good,such quality,846 sound like i never imagined possible,i already loved them with the stock,but this is heaven:)

That's encouraging to hear!  I ordered them yesterday.  Going to use them balanced with the AK240.  I can't wait!

May 14, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,444 of 22,946
I got my Litz cable from Tod Allen and i am so thrilled guys,it is out of this world good,such quality,846 sound like i never imagined possible,i already loved them with the stock,but this is heaven:)

Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge's Reference Cables are amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back