Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #2,146 of 22,960
Treble's here!
White filter is nothing like what i expected reading reviews

Shure couldn't name them this way but it really is White=Neutral, Blue=Warm, Black=Dark.

May 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #2,148 of 22,960
  I'm considering to buy a FiiO E10 or E17 to use the 846 with computers. Are they a good match?

For iems, I use ODAC/O2 combo if I am home for more accurate sound, and to me it's better than any portables.  E17, not so much.  Only benefits to E17 I can think of is for having it to use overears, and the small size for portability, but for iems, I don't see practicality.  I don't hear improvements with the Wolfson inside the E17 to have that extra bulk added to your smartphone with otg, unless you are using overears.

May 3, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #2,149 of 22,960

Shure couldn't name them this way but it really is White=Neutral, Blue=Warm, Black=Dark.

I will prob never try the Dark, but the other two are both good for me

May 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #2,150 of 22,960
Yeah Tokyo baby!
Quote:

This is what I hear also between each filer having reached only 10.0 hours mark but am prepared for a change of mind as the listening time increases(!)

White filter at this initial stage opens up the mids and treble without sacrificing much at the low end. For me best compromise of the three filters. Still overall warm signature. Black overdoes it and only a minority of Head-Fiers will go for it I suspect, going by the apparent modern tastes of the community

*From memory* 1plus2 bigger soundstage and bass. At Tokyo prices and the saving SE846 easy / easier buy. Native UK prices however would cause one to pause and seek out fitear, 1p2 or even wallet-busting Roxanne to demo also

May 4, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #2,151 of 22,960
Yeah Tokyo baby!

This is what I hear also between each filer having reached only 10.0 hours mark but am prepared for a change of mind as the listening time increases(!)

White filter at this initial stage opens up the mids and treble without sacrificing much at the low end. For me best compromise of the three filters. Still overall warm signature. Black overdoes it and only a minority of Head-Fiers will go for it I suspect, going by the apparent modern tastes of the community

*From memory* 1plus2 bigger soundstage and bass. At Tokyo prices and the saving SE846 easy / easier buy. Native UK prices however would cause one to pause and seek out fitear, 1p2 or even wallet-busting Roxanne to demo also

1plus2 was my first choice. What put me off was people saying that they fall out of your ears.

May 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #2,154 of 22,960
What put me off was the $2,600 price with uber cable. No worries, the new Reference 1 will only cost a scant $3,000 with the uber cable.

Haha yes, i wonder is it coz we r all rich idiots here or coz the stuff we smoke or drink's that good

May 4, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #2,156 of 22,960
What put me off was the $2,600 price with uber cable. No worries, the new Reference 1 will only cost a scant $3,000 with the uber cable.

Lol. I wouldn't have got the über cable. The price of the 1plus2 with silver/gold cable, if I'd been able to get it to the UK without paying customs, would have been a bit less than what the Shures cost here. Ultimately it came down to ergonomics and there was no way i was gonna shell out that kind of money for an IEM that might not have stayed in my ear.

The Fitear TOGO334 was also on my radar but they're hard to come by these days. Also the Earsonics S-EM6 which I'm still thinking about picking up as a compliment to the SE846,

May 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #2,158 of 22,960
I just ordered a pair of furutech alpha design labs ihp-35m cable for my SE846. I am not that rich or crazy to spend a grand on IEM cable.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-135240-alpha-design-labs-ihp-35m-headphone-cable.aspx

At $120, i will give it a shot.

I have read some reviews about this cable in some Asian audio magazines, pretty positive. I was thinking about Oyaide cable too, but there are many report of their reliability issues that put me off.

May 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2,160 of 22,960
1plus2 was my first choice. What put me off was people saying that they fall out of your ears.

Demoed 1plus2 at London meet. First universal IEM that made me think "I do not like the upward pricing trend in portable audio that has appeared in recent years, but yeah I get what they bring". Or rather what the 1plus2 is bringing.

Am fortunate to have been able to wear every IEM I have come across. Generic ears? Who knows.

Tokyo price for SE846 too good to pass. UK / EU pricing versus Jpn is just sad. You can nearly buy 2x sets! So you lose a large clear storage case which is missing in Asia packaging, meh. If was spending £1k then would want to demo fitear and Roxanne for full picture of the landscape. Resisted temptation to demo universal Roxanne in Tokyo. Saving for future trip and/or not wanting to ruin life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back