Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #21,511 of 22,960
The mid range is just really special and for a BA setup the bass is as good as it gets outclassed only by dynamic drivers. The fit is great and surprisingly they can scale really well with some TOTL sources. My only criticism is the impedance means you have to be a bit selective otherwise you get lower midrange bloat. Shure really knocked it out of the park with this one and at a new £599 recommended retail price it puts everything in question. I’m a bit fed up of seeing $2-3k+ flagship offerings when you can get so much with the SE846.
spot on analysis, agree about the impedance but apart from that an exceptional product

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #21,512 of 22,960
Would be interesting to see what Shure might come up with in a successor to the SE846. Personally I'd like a hybrid very much, since I'm really into DD bass... which the SE846 emulates very well. To me the SE846 is still very relevant, and I prefer a slower product lifecycle very much over those so-called flagship offerings that only excel in price (and not in a good way).

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #21,513 of 22,960
Just look at the technical characteristics of the New Ionic iems from shure, basically the same as the 215, 425 etc.
Aonic 3 looks interesting because it's a 1BA (rare today) and tuned better than the SE315. 4 is the most interesting to me since it's their first hybrid and it seems to graph well. 5 is probably the least interesting since it just seems to be basically an SE535 plus swappable nozzles, or an SE846 minus the bass, depending how you look at it.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #21,514 of 22,960
Aonic 3 looks interesting because it's a 1BA (rare today) and tuned better than the SE315. 4 is the most interesting to me since it's their first hybrid and it seems to graph well. 5 is probably the least interesting since it just seems to be basically an SE535 plus swappable nozzles, or an SE846 minus the bass, depending how you look at it.
Looks that way, the biggest change is the addition of a dynamic driver to the 4 to boost the bass. Basically playing around with the available technologies to change the SS. Instead of using two BAs like the 425 it replaces, they have elected to replace one of the BAs with a dynamic driver. Agree with your view of the 5, just passing down the technology from the 846. Not a bad thing in itself, the older generation are still exceptional IEMs.

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #21,516 of 22,960
Would be interesting to see what Shure might come up with in a successor to the SE846. Personally I'd like a hybrid very much, since I'm really into DD bass... which the SE846 emulates very well. To me the SE846 is still very relevant, and I prefer a slower product lifecycle very much over those so-called flagship offerings that only excel in price (and not in a good way).
I believe keeping the bass region as it is would be acceptable, since this is one of the strong areas of the se846. But it is the treble that needs some reworking, as many have already noted. Messes up some of the enjoyment in my case and I very much hope they address this issue with the next 8xx version.

Jun 12, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #21,518 of 22,960
Just ordered my SE846's! Can't wait 😁

How's the cable for anyone that wears glasses? Good thing is cables are easily changeable so no issue swapping out (ahem, sennheiser, take note).
They are still one of my favorite listens after all these years.

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #21,520 of 22,960
Just ordered my SE846's! Can't wait 😁

How's the cable for anyone that wears glasses? Good thing is cables are easily changeable so no issue swapping out (ahem, sennheiser, take note).

I don't mind the memory wire cable, and it loops over my glasses without issue. Just remember that when you're molding the memory wire to fit to think in three dimensions. Once I gave mine a gentle curve away from my head at the MMCX then a gentle curve back in towards my head on the other end, comfort and security of fit were much improved.

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #21,522 of 22,960
If I had to choose between my LCD4 and SE846 I would go with Shure. Might seem crazy to compare the two but the 846 have given me considerably more listening enjoyment over the last several years.
The SE846 has big bass, but it’s very balanced sounding. I love the way it sounds even today.

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #21,523 of 22,960
The SE846 has big bass, but it’s very balanced sounding. I love the way it sounds even today.
I gotta agree. The bass boost is just right, and doesn't interfere with its wonderfully flat and detailed mids. I like its treble too but the tuning could use a little refinement. Filter mods help a fair deal with this, but still.

Jun 13, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #21,524 of 22,960
Always nice to hear so many people sharing my own experience with the SE846. Yes, still worth it. One of the few I'll keep for a long time (already own them for about 6 years, which is way longer than my average). The TW1 updated them for these new times of wireless :)

Jun 13, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #21,525 of 22,960
Excellent guys, I'm feeling good about this purchase. Great to hear people still hold them in high regard. I'm really hoping it's an endgame sort of thing for me... I'm very reluctant to spend more than £700ish on IEM's so other TOTL offerings are out of my comfort zone.

On another note I've heard these like a low output impedance from the amplifier, like <1ohm. Just looked up my Creative SXFI Amp and its output is 0.2ohm so looking good. I'll have to make a thread on this amp as I think it's way overlooked. There's a few webpages with measurements which are very favourable. To my ears the amp is perfect, can't fault it. Works a treat on Android as well with it's own volume control to boot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back