Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #20,656 of 22,945
I have the MandarinEs Symbio W Eartips on order as i have used the comply P - series for a few years now time for a change.

Recently tried the spinfit CP800 in large but could have done with a slightly larger diameter as i believe these are 12mm where as the MandarinEs are 14MM.

Anyone used the MandarinEs with Shure?

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #20,657 of 22,945
I've not tried them with Shures as the Shure Grey foam olives are perfect for me. I use them with my Noble
IEMs and they're very good quality if slightly on the hard side. A best of both worlds solution - the comfort of foam with the durability and minimised damping effect of silicon.

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #20,658 of 22,945
I think I’m reading too many opinions. So many people say that the treble is really lacking on the 846, and I know there is minimal sound above 10KHz, but I’ve been going through a ton of music, and comparing them to some of my other IEMs that definitely have a lot of output above 10KHz, and the treble still doesn’t seem like it’s lacking much, just a very little bit of air. Also, with regards to comments about the bass being muddy, I don’t hear it. The decay is slower and more DD-like due to the bass conduit, but it doesn’t sound muddy at all. Still very detailed and textured, and not “one-note” bass. So weird that I’m trying to find faults with my IEMs, but really can’t.

One thing I will say, is that the 846s are quite source dependent.

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #20,660 of 22,945
Having jumped on the KSE, and even compared to the IE 800 S, I would say the 846 definitely lack upper (audible) treble. But it's okay. Don't think it makes the earphone anywhere near enough to be written off as crap, like a lot of people do. It's preference. I still have these earphones in my collection for a reason.

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #20,661 of 22,945
Don't over think it, my man. They don't lack treble, their bass is certainly not "muddy", and they're exquisitely comfortable, well-isolating, detailed, non-fatiguing iems. You're right about the source, though; they scale well.
Does it actually require a low impedance source?
I’m considering pairing it with a balanced cable on my sp1000m but it’s a somewhat higher voltage output than SE obviously

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #20,662 of 22,945
Every time I listen to vocals (both male and female equally) and guitars on the se846, I can’t help but smile. That’s why this is so great as a stage monitor. That, and the tremendous isolation. I can hear the missing treble detail on some other IEMs, but when I switch to the se846, I don’t miss that detail, especially for long listening sessions.

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #20,663 of 22,945
I think I’m reading too many opinions. So many people say that the treble is really lacking on the 846, and I know there is minimal sound above 10KHz, but I’ve been going through a ton of music, and comparing them to some of my other IEMs that definitely have a lot of output above 10KHz, and the treble still doesn’t seem like it’s lacking much, just a very little bit of air. Also, with regards to comments about the bass being muddy, I don’t hear it. The decay is slower and more DD-like due to the bass conduit, but it doesn’t sound muddy at all. Still very detailed and textured, and not “one-note” bass. So weird that I’m trying to find faults with my IEMs, but really can’t.

One thing I will say, is that the 846s are quite source dependent.

I actually read a few reviews claiming the missing upper treble today and now listened 3h with my shure 846 on my SHA900 fed directly with flac files over USB.
All I can say is, I don't find them lacking there at all. And while the Bass doesn't quite have the authority and Detail of my planar over ears, it is still far from muddy.

So even after 4 years I still can't find an urge to replace my Se846 (I have the Hifiman Re2000S alongside them tho)

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #20,664 of 22,945
I went back to using the SpinFit CP800-L Silicone Eartips last night on my Se846 and they give by far the best sound and fit.
I originally thought they were a little on the small size but after another fitting session and listening for a few hours they will remain on was an enjoyable listen with tight base and zero fatigue.

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #20,665 of 22,945
Also using spinfit tips here altough i think shure silicone tips are pretty good too imo :)
The biggest gripe I have with shure is the cable.
The stock cable is so bad it makes the IEM go to completely uncomfortable for me.
When I put a linum superbax on it, it's suddenly one of the most comfortable universals for me.

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #20,666 of 22,945
I'm using the Rai Series Silver Plated cable with good results.
Visually looks nice with its tight woven cable which has no stiffness and most importantly it sounds great.

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #20,667 of 22,945
Hi, I hope everyone is safe and well.

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask for some help.

I currently own a pair of Shure SE215 blue limited edition and I’m looking to upgrade to the Shure SE846. The reason I’m looking to stay with Shure is the fit is perfect for me with the large olive foams. I’ve tried the RHA T20i with the large coply tips and I just don’t get the same isolation and fit and they fall out.

So on to my question, I’ve seen that the clear ones with clear cable are on offer in the UK and just wondering if their is a difference between these and the blue? I know the blue come with the BT2 adapter but just wondered if the clear ones with the clear cable were an older modle as they are no longer on the Shure website. The pice difference is 130GBP.

I’ve also read that the newer ones have silver and not gold connections which helps with corrosion, can anyone help on this?

One final question sorry, does anyone have issues with the clear cable going discoloured? That would be one of my big concerns.

I really like the blue and my SE215 are the blue limited edition.

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #20,668 of 22,945
I would say that the clear cable is the better, if you do not need the bluetooth receiver go for clear.
Also the clear are stated as being professional but for some reason blue are not?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #20,669 of 22,945
The colored shells vs the clear shell se846 are just different cosmetically. They are the same o/w. The included accessories are different though, so that is based on your intended uses. The white triple flange tips do turn yellowish over time, but if that bothers you, they are really cheap to replace. I really like all the ear tip options provided by Shure, and buying extras are cheap as well. I prefer these as stage monitors over my CIEMs.

Oh, and this is just my preference, but I got the clear shells, and it is really fun looking at the all the engineering inside. So neat, tidy, and compact.

Oops, misread your post. I have had mine for a year, and no discoloration of the clear cable so far. The clear cable is nice and durable for stage use, but may be a bit cumbersome for everyday listening.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #20,670 of 22,945
@Mad14 In my stable are the SE215, RHA T20, and of course, the clear SE846. I still enjoy the huge, meaty dynamic driver bass from the T20 from time to time, but the 846 are an awesome step up in overall quality. If I were you, I'd go for the clear. Had mine for coming up to two years now and no signs of discoloration yet, and I use (and abuse) them daily. Under motorcycle helmets, whilst working out, whilst sleeping etc. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I'd also recommend this cable. There's nothing wrong with the one that comes with it, but apart from not being the most pliable, I hate the metal memory wires. I can see why they're appreciated for moulding them solidly into place if you're on stage or whatever, but for general use they're pretty annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back