Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #17,791 of 22,945
Someone reported many, many moons ago in this thread that the Fiio replacement cable was really quite a good one. And it is quite inexpensive, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-cable-select-Shure-headphones/dp/B00DB41AOW

Anybody tried it recently who has anything to say about it? I've not tried it myself.

Terry

i had the westone 2 pin of these, they have very bad microphonics and the sound became harsh.. it even damaged my 4R's sockets, didn't bother to get one for my 846.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #17,792 of 22,945
Hey guys, I've been searching through this thread for over an hour but still can't seem to find the answer. I want to purchase the SE846 and use it with my Iphone 6+ for traveling so it needs to be portable. From what I understand, to get the most out of it I would need a compatible Amp/ DAC that is <1 ohms. Any recommendations on a portable Amp/ DAC, thank you! and sorry i know the answer is somewhere in this 1000+ page thread.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #17,793 of 22,945
I love the Dragonfly Red.  Works great with SE846 and is USB powered by the phone using the CCK connector.  Others will argue for the Chord Mojo (which is a great DAC), but it has to be charged and costs about 3 times as much as the Dragonfly Red.  For the money, you can't do better, IMHO.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #17,794 of 22,945
Anyone with an 846 try out the LH Labs offerings?

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #17,795 of 22,945
  Someone reported many, many moons ago in this thread that the Fiio replacement cable was really quite a good one. And it is quite inexpensive, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-cable-select-Shure-headphones/dp/B00DB41AOW

Anybody tried it recently who has anything to say about it? I've not tried it myself.

Terry

As it happens I just received the FiiO RC-SE1B cables. They're perfectly fine. The microphonics are about the same as the Shure cable. However it isn't as stiff and doesn't have that annoying memory covering over the ear section. As far as SQ, well I can only compare them to the unbalanced Shure cable, but they provide a noticeable improvement (wider soundstage, mids and highs seem to have opened up a bit). I'm using an Onkyo DP-X1.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #17,796 of 22,945
  As it happens I just received the FiiO RC-SE1B cables. They're perfectly fine. The microphonics are about the same as the Shure cable. However it isn't as stiff and doesn't have that annoying memory covering over the ear section. As far as SQ, well I can only compare them to the unbalanced Shure cable, but they provide a noticeable improvement (wider soundstage, mids and highs seem to have opened up a bit). I'm using an Onkyo DP-X1.

Thanks for the report! I went ahead and ordered a set just now. Heck - silver with no memory wire, how can we lose! (Not that I mind the memory wire myself, as I have figured out how to mold it so it keeps everything sitting still!) :)

Terry

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #17,797 of 22,945

Good thing the shure fiio cable is better than the westones. It was really a bad experience that i did not bother buying shure fiio cable. Anyway, i asked a friend to make me an mmcx cable (silver and spc hybrid) that really sounds good with the 846.

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #17,800 of 22,945
  Hey guys, I've been searching through this thread for over an hour but still can't seem to find the answer. I want to purchase the SE846 and use it with my Iphone 6+ for traveling so it needs to be portable. From what I understand, to get the most out of it I would need a compatible Amp/ DAC that is <1 ohms. Any recommendations on a portable Amp/ DAC, thank you! and sorry i know the answer is somewhere in this 1000+ page thread.

I have used my new to me SE846 and an iPhone 6+ (with JRemote and FLACs) for over a month now which is very portable. The bass is incredible! I also have Beyer T1s gen 1 headphones and an ifi iDSD Micro (silver) to drive them which I also like very much. I tried the iDSD with the SE846 but didn't notice any sound improvement, so most of the time I just use the iPhone's internal DAC as it is simpler, Maybe my ears are not discerning enough but they both sound damn good! 

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #17,802 of 22,945
Both the Audioquest Red and Chord Mojo work well with the SE846. I have both with an iPhone 6 and iPad Pro. You can't go wrong.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #17,803 of 22,945

I would try the 846 with the iPhone 6 alone. Seriously, it sounds awesome right from the iPhone. If you want to add a portable DAC later, that is something you can try. Minamilistic is what I use. I don't need to carry around any more than the smartphone and the SE 846.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #17,804 of 22,945
I would try the 846 with the iPhone 6 alone. Seriously, it sounds awesome right from the iPhone. If you want to add a portable DAC later, that is something you can try. Minamilistic is what I use. I don't need to carry around any more than the smartphone and the SE 846.

That's what I wanted to do, but someone told me that I might as well just get the 535 if I don't get an Amp/DAC because I wouldn't be using the 846 to its full potential... so far the Chord Mojo and Oppo-HA2 seems to be the 2 best portable devices to complement the 846

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #17,805 of 22,945
That's what I wanted to do, but someone told me that I might as well just get the 535 if I don't get an Amp/DAC because I wouldn't be using the 846 to its full potential... so far the Chord Mojo and Oppo-HA2 seems to be the 2 best portable devices to complement the 846

Nothing beats a high end dedicated dap for sound and portability.Zx2 with TRRS provides a much more detailed,high end  sound as well as being more engaging,although WM1A balanced would be even better investment and run circles around mojo if it is even a tiny bit more detailed and expansive  than ZX2 (which it is by comparisons),same can be said for Qp1R.Let's not get monolithic and repeat ad nauseum what's being said at official forum that mojo is the best portable device for iems,it is far from actually.

As for se535,it is so far behind  from se846 in all sound aspects when driven by a capable source,it makes the $1000 you pay for se846 a steal vs the $500 se535  if we get into technicalities about sq improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back