Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Aug 24, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #1,951 of 3,218
I know this thread this huge and not sure if the following question has been mentioned before, but here it is:

I noticed in the unboxing video on YouTube and the pictures posted online, that the SE846 does not come with M+Cable (cable that works with iPhone with volume up/down buttons). It seems to me that SE846 comes with two cables but none of them are m+cables.

Can anyone who received their SE846 confirm this? are these cable that came with it are proprietary only to SE846? or one can buy the M+cable from Shure and use it with SE846?

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #1,953 of 3,218
B&H shows the M+ cable as an accessory for the 846's. They're usually very reliable, so I would say it works.
The M+ cable works with all Shure from the SE series. All of them has the same connector to the iem. I just bought the version for android. I'm not very pleased with the design, the section of the mic it's too large, but I think that right now it's the only option so I'm gonna keep it for my se535.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #1,954 of 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeScripted /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It seems to me that SE846 comes with two cables but none of them are m+cables.

Can anyone who received their SE846 confirm this?

Mine came with two cables. They are the same material cables but one is shorter (the spare one). But none of them it has the remote (or perhaps M+cable like what you said).

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,955 of 3,218
Quote:
B&H shows the M+ cable as an accessory for the 846's. They're usually very reliable, so I would say it works.

Quote:
The M+ cable works with all Shure from the SE series. All of them has the same connector to the iem. I just bought the version for android. I'm not very pleased with the design, the section of the mic it's too large, but I think that right now it's the only option so I'm gonna keep it for my se535.

Quote:

Mine came with two cables. They are the same material cables but one is shorter (the spare one). But none of them it has the remote (or perhaps M+cable like what you said).

Thank you. I appreciate your time and input.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #1,956 of 3,218
I have been playing mine for more than a week. I don't know whether i am going to like this IEM so much or not, honestly. 
size]

All i can say is, you got to love a shure house sound to even love this thing more. I had shure 535red before. They actually share a similar sounding characteristic, but 846 is definitely improved in some aspects. 

IMO, the shure house sound is different from others. Personally, i don't really like the Shure house sound. If i would describe the 846 sound, it would be like, (so) warm, milky, thick, smooth, round shape with no analytic-sense signature, and maybe sweet and yummy.

The improvements over 535red:
  1. Overall sound is fuller, much fuller. The weight of the sound is really noticeable. More spacious sounding, more airy and better imaging too - in a shure's way.
  2. The highs is improved (maybe just a little). At least it extends better than 535. its more feelable i would say, but still roll off IMO. I would not recommend this IEM to be paired with darker+warm signature amp, because i tried mine with Intruder, and the sound is becoming sooo much warmth and muffled (and that's horrible). Not good at all.
  3. The mids now is less upfront and not so dominant anymore (is more balanced in overall). The distance now is more enjoyable. That maybe because it has more treble and bass, so that's why (i am not too sure). anyway, the mids remains lush, smooth, creamy, fuller body and better imaging too. Listening to vocal song is good. It has weight to it and i can picture and imagine the singer quite well. Better than 535 of course. 
  4. The bass is "a lot" improved. This time i really can feel the presence of the bass. It is plenty. However, again, it's presented in a Shure's way. The presentation of the bass is similar to 535, but this time is more plenty OR i would say is more convincing. BUT...this is not a kicking kinda bass or punching bass like that. It is rather a smooth bass, it does go deeper, but not that deep IMO. I feel the bass is huge, but not overly bloated. This is the 1st time i do enjoy listening pop/RnB/Rock with Shure's IEM. The bass is more than enough and very well for this kind of genres. But remember, by the Shure's way (i hope you know what i mean). And i think, the bass is also still roll off and not that tight as well (but still acceptable of course - maybe not for some i can understand that)
  5. The sound stage is very good actually. This part also a lot improved from 535red. The width is fine. The depth and the height of the sound is the most impressed me. 
  6. Detail and clarity i also feel like is good. But maybe because of its warm character, i feel like is not so transparent, let say compared to W4R ( maybe i am wrong - but to me, the W4R is definitely more "neutral" than this 846 - and sometimes i think i do enjoy W4R more in this regards).
  7. This only amps that can go well with this 846 (from what i have currently), is the picopower and KOJO KM01. The worse one is the Intruder - muffled sounding. The HPP1, i feel like the lows is becoming too warm and a bit muffled as well.
  8. With the tera player, i think is fine, but i would not say is perfect. But still likeable, it's just that requires a bit of clarity and crisp out of it.

TBH, in this price range, after listening the sound, i though that i might forget the sound of my W4R or UM3X or SM64, but apparently is NOT. I would not say the 846 is totally outperform all my other IEMs that currently held (which is much less cheaper of course). However, in some aspects, i think shure 846 has done a quite good job, such as performing with a fuller sound and more spacious presentation, but it does not totally outperform let say my W4R, for example. In the few days ahead, i will be receiving my Fitear TG334+000 cable along with the Parterre. I will do comparison again with shure 846, but based on my personal taste, i have feeling that Fitear will suit my taste so much better. but let see.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,958 of 3,218
As one who had spent a couple of decades as a professional reviewer, I might add that most people will always prefer a tilted up toward the brilliance region speaker or headset over a neutral one. Neutral or natural are terms often incorrectly interchanged. The neutral transducer will leave many underwhelmed, they so expect "more." More of this coloration or more of that.

An interesting phenomenon. Nevertheless, entirely true and supported by the literature and demo showroom sales around the world.

It's the same with brighter TVs...what draws the eye draws the ear. Bright, sweet candy.

Until all those sweets become cloying, unpalatable, and ultimately, repulsive.

One knows when that point has been reached when one has had their fill.

At which point one will crave neutrality for the remainder of their lives.

Neutrality is not MORE detail, more highs, tighter bass. It is the spectral balance of live music in free air or in a good room significantly free of resonances.

Getting familiar with the live sound is paramount, for it is the STANDARD, the ruler by which all other reproduced sounds are measured.

So far, after having spent some time reading these post, I had not seen once a reference to LIVE SOUND, real instruments and voices as being the standard against which one needs to refer, or a discussion about what neutrality means.

NOT ONCE!

Which tells the curious observer everything he needed to know.

Now I could be wrong, maybe a few of you actually attend concerts, hopefully frequently, and maybe a few of you KNOW what real music on acoustic instruments actually sound like. Maybe a few of you are musicians.

The bottom line: It is a waste of time to compare one defective earbud to another defective earbud using the words of possibly hearing-impaired witnesses...even those who are not hearing impaired from the effects of listening for years at high volume to headbanging music through earbuds inserted millimeters from the eardrum.

I bring all this up to assert the necessity for perspective. In other words, what is, is.

Reality is. Preference has little to do with it.

There will be those who will object.

They happen to be precisely the kind of people who have spent no serious time in a concert hall.

Or the kind who might describe the bright and artificial as being neutral. Or natural.

Which it certainly is not.

And that's not just opinion.

As for opinion, all opinions are not the same...

All opinions do not have the same weight or value.

All opinions are not backed by the same experience.

Even if each of us owns an opinion, and each of us does, I would suggest that that opinion and the subway fare will get one a pass into the subway.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,959 of 3,218
Quote:
As one who had spent a couple of decades 

as a professional reviewer, I might add that most people will always prefer a tilted up toward the brilliance region speaker or headset over a neutral one. Neutral or natural are terms often incorrectly interchanged. The neutral transducer will leave many underwhelmed, they so expect "more." More of this coloration or more of that.

An interesting phenomenon. Nevertheless, entirely true and supported by the literature and demo showroom sales around the world.

It's the same with brighter TVs...what draws the eye draws the ear. Bright, sweet candy.

Until all those sweets become cloying, unpalatable, and ultimately, repulsive.

One knows when that point has been reached when one has had their fill.

At which point one will crave neutrality for the remainder of their lives.

Neutrality is not MORE detail, more highs, tighter bass. It is the spectral balance of live music in free air or in a good room significantly free of resonances.

Getting familiar with the live sound is paramount, for it is the STANDARD, the ruler by which all other reproduced sounds are measured.

So far, after having spent some time reading these post, I had not seen once a reference to LIVE SOUND, real instruments and voices as being the standard against which one needs to refer, or a discussion about what neutrality means.

NOT ONCE!

Now I could be wrong, maybe a few of you actually attend concerts, hopefully frequently, and maybe a few of you KNOW what real music on acoustic instruments actually sound like. Maybe a few of you are musicians.

The bottom line: It is a waste of time to compare one defective earbud to another defective earbud using the words of possibly hearing-impaired witnesses...even those who are not hearing impaired from the effects of listening for years at high volume to headbanging music through earbuds inserted millimeters from the eardrum.

I bring all this up to assert the necessity for perspective. In other words, what is, is.

Reality is. Preference has little to do with it.

There will be those who will object.

They happen to be precisely the kind of people who have spent no serious time in a concert hall.

Or the kind who might describe the bright and artificial as being neutral. Or natural.

Which it certainly is not.

And that's not just opinion.

As for opinion, all opinions are not the same...

All opinions do not have the same weight or value.

All opinions are not backed by the same experience.

Even if each of us owns an opinion, and each of us does, I would suggest that that opinion and the subway fare will get one a pass into the subway.

confused_face_2.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #1,961 of 3,218
Quote:

NOT ONCE!

As illustrated by John Atkinson in this speech, 99% of recordings are just so far from the truth on so many levels: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661545/rmaf-2012-just-how-absolute-is-recorded-sound

So, references to LIVE SOUND is a whole lot of hogwash (unless you happen to have been the part of the recording, mixing and mastering process for all the records you, which I doubt). 

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,963 of 3,218
Have been using the SE846 for a week or so and apparently the amount of bass is much much lesser than the demo set. I'm currently using them with a mid-focused cable, the null audio Arete and a dark/Bassy amp, the national. I'm really hoping the bass would open up soon.

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,964 of 3,218
Quote:
Have been using the SE846 for a week or so and apparently the amount of bass is much much lesser than the demo set. I'm currently using them with a mid-focused cable, the null audio Arete and a dark/Bassy amp, the national. I'm really hoping the bass would open up soon.

Use it with the stock cable. The bass should be back.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #1,965 of 3,218

Use it with the stock cable. The bass should be back.

You c, actually, I tried the demo 846 using the same setup with the treble filters and it was like perfect balance to my ears but now bass is lacking and the stock cable is horribly stiff n uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back