Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jul 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,652 of 3,218

Most of my impression are gonna be based and compared against the SE535 as it was the only pair which I had spent long enough time to be able to make a proper comparison. 

Sound stage: In terms of sound stage it definitely improved. Makes live performance more enjoyable.

Highs: Its definitely an improvement from the SE535. However I actually hoped for much better performance considering it now a quad driver.

Mids: As usual the smooth mids that Shure has as always had. Rather similar to the SE535. Something that has kept me a Shure fan till now. Being a vocalist myself, I really love to listen to the vocals a lot.

Bass: Definitely more bass and tighter too however if you are a great fan of the JH16 and love it for its bass, the SE846's bass is not gonna come close IMO.

All in all it a better version of the SE535 and in terms of overall performance its 1.5x of the SE535. Whether or not it justify its price tag depends on you. 

Hopefully it may improve after much burn in. Its my first impression and base on my own opinions. Feel free to share too :) Cheers

Thanks for the impression. This is largely the same as my impressions and most Shure users would find this a worthwhile upgrade. Also agree if you like fast tight impactful bass then it won't be what you find.

Re cable, I find a silver/gold alloy cable worked a lot better. Highly recommend you to at least try some demo of silver or silver/gold cable.

Anyway, congratz on your purchase!

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,654 of 3,218
Thanks for the impression. This is largely the same as my impressions and most Shure users would find this a worthwhile upgrade. Also agree if you like fast tight impactful bass then it won't be what you find.

Re cable, I find a silver/gold alloy cable worked a lot better. Highly recommend you to at least try some demo of silver or silver/gold cable.

Anyway, congratz on your purchase!

As an owner of OCC balanced silver cables (as well as SE OCC silver cables) I can understand and agree with a cable upgrade making a material difference but adding gold is pure marketing hype and lunacy. Gold is a poor conductor of electricity far worse than silver or even copper. I have listened to the silver/gold cables and found the gold reduced the clarity that the silver alone achieves. It is marketing gimmicks like adding gold that turn more people off from buying custom cables and that is a shame as again I think the pure OCC silver cables make a sonic difference.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #1,657 of 3,218
Quote:
As an owner of OCC balanced silver cables (as well as SE OCC silver cables) I can understand and agree with a cable upgrade making a material difference but adding gold is pure marketing hype and lunacy. Gold is a poor conductor of electricity far worse than silver or even copper. I have listened to the silver/gold cables and found the gold reduced the clarity that the silver alone achieves. It is marketing gimmicks like adding gold that turn more people off from buying custom cables and that is a shame as again I think the pure OCC silver cables make a sonic difference.

Agree with you with regards to gold reducing the clarity of the sound. However coming from an engineering perspective the only reason i know why gold would be use is cos it is less reactive thus having a good coat over it gives it a longer life span. At least that is what i'm thought in University.

table showing conductivity and resistivity.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #1,658 of 3,218
Agree with you with regards to gold reducing the clarity of the sound. However coming from an engineering perspective the only reason i know why gold would be use is cos it is less reactive thus having a good coat over it gives it a longer life span. At least that is what i'm thought in University.

table showing conductivity and resistivity.

I agree for connectors and plugs the use of gold is a far better choice than either silver or copper but in the cables themselves it makes no sense.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #1,660 of 3,218

Largely agree. Only reason I mentioned silver/gold cable is because that was the only cable I listened to apart from stock with the demo and observed the improvement. I speculate silver would work well similarly with se846.

I find some copper/silver hybrid can have similar impact as silver/gold cable - more clarity without getting harsh or thin. And cable is always about matching with the source and iem. In my experience expensive ones aren't always good for all combinations.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,662 of 3,218
Quote:

but it is worth the money to you. right?

Whether it is worth really boils down to individual really. Cos frankly if you ask me if the SE846 is the best IEM in any aspect i would say no. Like for example if you're a bass head the JH16 definitely is more bassy. The highs are definitely not the best either cos i've heard better one. But what really made me put my money down to say its worth to me was that although it was not the best in any area, it did not suck in any area. Which makes listening to wide variation of genres more pleasing to my ears. It does not make me feel that certain genre sound bad. And to me i love to enjoy all my music, not just a specific genre type. So if you're the kind that only listen to a specific type of genre this wouldn't be the IEMs for you. Thats my take on it. With a price tag of 1299SGD one can get customs like UM Miracle with some money to spare and maybe get some cable upgrades. And IMO sounds much better when listening to classical genres. So like i said it really boils down to individual. 

Anyone may feel free to correct me if you disagree.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #1,663 of 3,218
But what really made me put my money down to say its worth to me was that although it was not the best in any area, it did not suck in any area. Which makes listening to wide variation of genres more pleasing to my ears.

After reading several reviews with similar statements I decided to order a pair. Cos that means that is pretty neutral and doesn't add "color" to the music and that's what I look for. I hope to not be disappointed.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #1,664 of 3,218
Quote:
After reading several reviews with similar statements I decided to order a pair. Cos that means that is pretty neutral and doesn't add "color" to the music and that's what I look for. I hope to not be disappointed.

but you should have tried it out and listen for yourself first. Cos to me i never trusted what people's opinion. I would look into their recommended IEMs after which try them for myself before buying. cos at the end of the day our ears are not the same. What may sound good to one may sound terrible to another. So no harm trying first.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #1,665 of 3,218
My coworker and I have ordered it. Mainly due to the lack of impressions (until now). Anxious to receive them!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back